Cleaning chain ?

OK I have the OEM chain, no link so it can't come off. 3800 miles, getting gummy. Lube every week, so how do you clean them. I use WD40 on a rag, got a chain brush but someone told me it could rake havic on the orings. So how do you all clean the OEM chain with out taking it off ? I need to pull the counter sprocket and clean that as well, but that's a no brainer :D

Kerosene in a pan and a brush will get it nice and clean. WD-40 on a rag is good for a quick clean as well, but the kerosene will really clean it and wont damage your o-rings.

Kerosene in a spray bottle works best with a soft toothbrush for me. Or a dedicated o-ring safe chain cleaner. I have used Dupont as well. I use their chain lube too.

OK I have the OEM chain, no link so it can't come off. 3800 miles, getting gummy. Lube every week, so how do you clean them. I use WD40 on a rag, got a chain brush but someone told me it could rake havic on the orings. So how do you all clean the OEM chain with out taking it off ? I need to pull the counter sprocket and clean that as well, but that's a no brainer :D

i use something called sdoc 100 chain clean
just spray it on the chain leave it for 5 mins then i use a chain brush to do the links and a jet wash on the widest setting on the sides of the chain (not the top)

i lube it with wurrth dry lube it completely dries (as the name suggests lol) dosent fling and dirt dosent stick to it.

comes up like new every time

i get it from ebay its £9.99 a can and lasts ages

i had 12k miles on the chain on my zx10r cleaned the chain like this every two monthes or so and it was fine

hope this helps

scott

is Kerosene Like Tiki lamp fuel ?

Don't think it's exactly the same, but probably very similar. I would think diesel fuel or heating oil would probably be closer to kerosene :dontknow:

You can find kerosene at some gas stations. If not, then your local hardware store might sell it in quarts, 1 or 5 gallon containers. A quart will last you for quite a few chain cleanings.

I used to use WD-40 to clean my chain... I'd hose it on, good and heavy, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes... then grab a rag and wipe off everything I could... then lube the chain with my preferred chain lube... worked like a champ for a loooooooong time.

I use Kerosene and a "Grunge Brush" a couple of times each season. 20K miles on my chain and still going strong. The Grunge Brush is like a super-toothbrush with bristles on three sides. Takes just a few minutes with this setup. When it's done, I wipe any excess kerosene off and then lube it as I normally would.

:+2: on the WD-40 and Kerosene.

I'd like to get a pump spray bottle for the Kerosene to see if it works any better. I find that WD-40 works much better as a cleaner and I often wonder if it's because it's a pressurised spray or if the other components that make up WD-40 help to clean more effectively.

I have a giant 5 gallon jug of Kerosene I bought for $25 at Home Depot

Dear _____________,

Thank you for contacting WD-40 Company with regards to using WD-40 on o-rings. WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil, which will displace water and moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement and acts as a rust preventative on any metal surface. WD-40 will not dry out the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on the surface of rubber and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking and not just a spray).

WD-40 is also a cleaner, which will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers and oil. It is possible that if there is a special lubricant in the o-rings, WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40. We are sure there are superior heavy-duty chain lubes on the market. There are several people who recommend using WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40, as a water remover and rust preventative followed by a heavier chain lube would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant that was previously applied to the chain.

We recommend you only spray the area near the wheels, moving parts and other areas you want to clean off. We do not recommend spraying on the manifold or exhaust pipes. Please never spray WD-40 on a hot bike.
Thank you again for contacting WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Eva Zabowski
WD-40 Customer Service

:teeter: :)

WD-40 used sparingly with a Grunge brush will clean it up nicely, and I've never had any issues with o-ring damage, I think that argument is theoretical and not practical. After cleaning wipe off any remaining WD-40, let dry and then lube the chain, and then ride; no need to overcomplicate this issue.

Back