Cleaning chain ?

Fit a scottoiler or similar. At a push I only have to clean the chain once a year, even though I ride through the very wet and salt riddled British winters over about 10,000 miles per year.

The scottoiler puts oil on, and as it naturally flings off, it tends to take the muck with it, and it lengthens tour chain life too, prevents stretching (i only have to adjust it when I take a wheel off to change a tyre!!).

For what they cost, they're a no brainer! They take bit of setting up, but that is a matter of seconds. I do find my back wheel gets a bit muckyer than without one though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

My OEM chain has over 16,000 miles on it. Have kept it cleaned and lubricated every 500 miles. The gears are in very good shape with no visible wear. The chain has not increased in length and stays in good adjustment.

But lately - I hear this "swooshing" sound when accelerating. It is barely audible. THE FREQUENCY IS IN SYNCH WITH EACH TIME THE CHAIN MAKES A CYLE AROUND THE GEARS. I cleaned the chain guides of all grit, but no improvement.

Anybody have any ideas what is causing this "swooshing" sound? Thanks.

I think with that kind of mileage, it could just be a bit worn. It's always a good sign where it starts making odd noises though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Clean a chain? Whats that? I lube my chain whenever the rollers start to look clean or the end of evey day when on a trip. Chain gets adjusted with every tire change, has'nt needed adjusting between. I now have 20K on the bike, sprockets look good and lots of chain life remaining. Do not have a large build up of gunk.

Last edited:
Back