I've been using maxima wax for some time, but am about ready to try something else, due to the fling factor. I dunno why I seem to be in the minority with regard to the maxima making a mess, but...

Maybe tirox?

I am currently using a Maxima Spray Chain Lube. Since I commute and do roughly 500 miles per week give or take, I make sure to Lube it up as soon as I get home Friday afternoon and the bike general sits all weekend.

As for the guy who does not lube your chain, that is a great way to have one go bad on you after a few thousand miles and need replacement. I know, it happened to me before I realized I needed to be lubing mine every week.

This is incorrect, or rather incomplete. The lubricant held inside the chain itself does nothing to reduce friction between the chain and the sprockets. When you "grease the chain", you grease the interface between the chain and the sprocket, which reduces noise, friction and heat and makes it last longer. Using a paste, or a wax as they are also called, is much better than oil or grease because it stays there longer and keeps the friction (and the noise) to a minimum.
I normally clean the chain with kerosene before applying the paste, that is the best cleaner you can use (because it will not damage the o-rings in the chain) and it's cheap. The first time I cleaned the chain after I bought my bike, I just used the kerosene and no grease as suggested by Kpd1031 and I could hear the chain get noisy after about a week (I ride about 250 miles/week). With the paste, I am good for at least 4 weeks. I live in Florida where roads are generally clean but we do have a fair amount of sand blown by the wind. Your environment may be different.
Oil and regular grease work, but they have to be applied more frequently, and they tend to get splattered on the chain guard and other parts, so they are messy. The wax is clean and not messy.
I recommend you don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

Really? Did you ever take a long ride and touch your chain afterwards? Wow. Its really hot! No it isnt. As a matter of fact its barely warm. Why? Because modern chains dont have much friction at all. The rollers and internal grease prevent that. With all that friction that you are trying to prevent wouldnt the chain get real hot? Friction equals heat no? What you do have on a chain is an extreme amount of pressure. And that pressure pushes your expensive wax and lube away from the contact areas of the chain and sproket almost emmediately. Check your chain after you apply your lube and go for a ride. There will be nothing left on the contact areas. As far as noise. I have never heard any chain on any bike over exhaust noise, road noise, etc. with a full face helmet on. It sounds to me like you are trying to justify wasting your money. For the record. I have never had to change a sprocket or chain in my 31 years of riding street bikes due to wear. Usually the chain gets too long to be adjusted after many miles, but the sprockets are always fine. But yes I change the sprockets with the chain as a set when needed. I hope my explanation wasn't too incorrect or incomplete for you this time.

I would like to know what kind of chain Lube everyone is running and why. I have been using Motul since I bought my bike last year but I am not impressed to say the least with it. It was the only chain Lube at the local Motorcycle shop at the time so that is what I used. I have been thinking about ordering some Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube and try that but figured I would get some opinions before doing so.

Hi Predator,for years ive been using Castrol racing chain lube,very good lube which sticks to the chain and very little fling off,(well you don't want a mucky back tyre on a race bike do you)

WD40 or Chain saver. On long trips at least every 500 miles. If I get a lot of short trip I just spray it every now and then. Remember you are only lubing the outside.

just picked up some of this, see how it goes:

motorex_chain_lube622_strong_street_spray.jpg

I had a Scottoiler in my previous Kawa and removed it before trading it in, but haven't installed it into my FZ1 yet. In the meantime I have spread some engine oil into the chain with an old toothbrush, and then wiped off the excess oil with a rag ripped from an old T-shirt.

Back