PredatorFZ1

I would like to know what kind of chain Lube everyone is running and why. I have been using Motul since I bought my bike last year but I am not impressed to say the least with it. It was the only chain Lube at the local Motorcycle shop at the time so that is what I used. I have been thinking about ordering some Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube and try that but figured I would get some opinions before doing so.

I think choice of chain lube depends a lot on the type of riding and the conditions, ie. if you ride a lot in the rain or on gravel roads; if you do extended road trips or just day rides.

I've switched to an automatic chain oiler but here's a few of the chain lubes I've liked in the past:

Amazon.com: DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant, 11-Ounce : Bike Oils : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube - 400ml. Aerosol 99470-A400W: Automotive
Amazon.com: MOTUL Motorcycle CHAIN LUBE For ROAD BIKE - 400 ML (3605-0039): Automotive
Amazon.com: MAXIMA CRYSTAL CLEAR CHAIN LUBE 20 OZ, Brand: MAXIMA, Manufacturer Part Number: 77920-NB, Manufacturer: MAXIMA: Automotive

Last edited:
Most chain lubes are lousy.....petroleum products that make a mess of your rear wheel and front sprocket. A few years ago everyone was using the Dupont Teflon spray to good effect, until they changed the formula for unknown reasons and it was no longer useful for m/c chains. Last year I started using Tirox, so far it is great, it sprays on and doesn't fling off, highly recommended. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE JUNK THE M/C INDUSTRY HAS BEEN PUSHING.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/motorcycle-news/21649-tirox-chain-wax-review.html?highlight=tirox

Last edited:
I use chain cleaner and lube from Yamalube.
Tried many before but they all fall off and make greasy around. The trick is to apply the lube when the chain is hot and leave the bike for 10 hours. And don't put too much. Since I do this the mess is much less.

Most chain lubes are lousy.....petroleum products that make a mess of your rear wheel and front sprocket. A few years ago everyone was using the Dupont Teflon spray to good effect, until they changed the formula for unknown reasons and it was no longer useful for m/c chains. Last year I started using Tirox, so far it is great, it sprays on and doesn't fling off, highly recommended. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE JUNK THE M/C INDUSTRY HAS BEEN PUSHING.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/motorcycle-news/21649-tirox-chain-wax-review.html?highlight=tirox

Thanks, I just ordered some of this stuff sounds like people really like it.

The key is to lube the chain when it is hot, like stated above. Spray along the o-rings from the inside edges. Wipe the outside of the chain off ( lube does nothing on the outside of the links but collect dirt )and let the bike sit. At the days end. The lube stays where it is needed and makes little mess of your wheels.

As far as lubes, I've tried lots; Maxima clear- messy. Maxima- black- works OK but collects dirt.

Several Bell-Ray lubes, none that I liked for long.

Wax based all just mix with dirt and build up on the sprocket.

Fluid film in a pinch- works as good as any chain specific lube.

Last edited:
My favorite is Motul Chain Paste C5

Amazon.com: motul c5 chain paste

It sticks to the chain pretty well and seems to last a while (a month or about 1,000 miles). However, I found it difficult to apply without removing the chain guard, so now I always remove the chain guard to apply it. Since it is a paste that comes with a tube and built-in brush, there is no overspray (unlike any type of canned lubricant) so there is no risk of putting any on the tire, the bike or the floor. The least messy product I have found.

If I happen to be in a hurry (going for a long ride and realizing I was supposed to grease the chain but I forgot), I have a can of Honda chain lube I got from the local Honda/Yamaha dealer that works in a pinch, but do not last very long and you do put grease in places that don't need it, so the time you save by not removing the chain guard, you spend either protecting everything before you use the spray, or cleaning everything after the fact, or both.

You absolutely do not have to waste money on special motorcycle chain lubes for an o-ring chain. It has self contained lubricant. If its dirty, clean with a little kerosene on a rag and wipe it down with a little clean engine oil to prevent th links from rusting. Thats it you're, done.

I am trying to stay away from anything sticky and collects dirt. I have seen some good reviews on the Tirox Chain Wax as was mention by Evitzee so I bought some to try out. I will keep everyone posted I hope this does the trick. If nothing else some engine oil it is LOL.

You absolutely do not have to waste money on special motorcycle chain lubes for an o-ring chain. It has self contained lubricant. If its dirty, clean with a little kerosene on a rag and wipe it down with a little clean engine oil to prevent th links from rusting. Thats it you're, done.

I actually disagree but am not eloquent or knowledgeable enough to really contest your point. I think if you're a seasonal weekend warrior, your method will be sufficient enough. In my experience, lubricating a sealed o-ring chain offers benefits in reduced friction, rust prevention and metal-to-metal contact protection

Last edited:

This is incorrect, or rather incomplete. The lubricant held inside the chain itself does nothing to reduce friction between the chain and the sprockets. When you "grease the chain", you grease the interface between the chain and the sprocket, which reduces noise, friction and heat and makes it last longer. Using a paste, or a wax as they are also called, is much better than oil or grease because it stays there longer and keeps the friction (and the noise) to a minimum.
I normally clean the chain with kerosene before applying the paste, that is the best cleaner you can use (because it will not damage the o-rings in the chain) and it's cheap. The first time I cleaned the chain after I bought my bike, I just used the kerosene and no grease as suggested by Kpd1031 and I could hear the chain get noisy after about a week (I ride about 250 miles/week). With the paste, I am good for at least 4 weeks. I live in Florida where roads are generally clean but we do have a fair amount of sand blown by the wind. Your environment may be different.
Oil and regular grease work, but they have to be applied more frequently, and they tend to get splattered on the chain guard and other parts, so they are messy. The wax is clean and not messy.
I recommend you don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

That does seem hardcore. I'm going to try the Motul paste. I used to ride bicycles, like road and mountain bikes, and I always would clean my chain really well, because the lube would grab road funk and turn to the black grease we always see, so I like to have a shiny chain and then the area stays clean around it.

What do you guys do to clean the chain before applying a fresh lube? If I'm going to switch from whatever the previous owner used to this new paste, I would like to get the chain and sockets really clean. What do you guys do to clean your chain and sprockets? For the bike I used to spray some kind of degreaser on it, even simple green if that is all i've got. I'll spray down the chain and sprockets, let it penetrate, use a bristle brush to clean and then a rag to wipe it all down.

Kerosene or WD-40 works very well as a cleaner. Spray it on the chain or on a rag and wipe it down. Let it it dry, take the bike for a spin to heat up the chain and then apply your lube. Wipe off the excess after a while.

Kerosene for me, cheap, effective and can be used for many other things. It doesn't hurt paint either. Use in a ventilated area to avoid a cheap high.

I use a small plastic tub and an old toothbrush (that you won't want to reuse for its original design) and put a piece of cardboard under the area to be cleaned. About 3 onces of kerosene will easily clean your chain unless you have not done it in years. Kerosene will disolve the oil based and wax based (takes longer) lubes and won't hurt the o-rings. Do a section at a time keeping the tub under the section being cleaned. Then when the whole thing is done use a clean rag, hold it around the chain and manually rotate the wheel to dry and buff the chain. It is an easy way to lose all your fingers to do this step with the bike running so don't!

Like Dustin said, take the bike for a short ride to warm the chain up , then lube with your favorite type/ brand.

Last edited:
Well I had the chance to clean/lube my chain yesterday with the new Tirox Chain Wax. Let me tell you, I like the stuff so far. The one thing I noticed is chain wax was not sticky or as messy as the Motul I was using previously and you can tell that you sprayed the stuff on. I then took the bike out for a ride after I let the stuff dry because I wanted to know how much fling off there would be on the bike and much to my surprise there was none and I was out about an hr on it. It's dry to the touch also and it didn't seem to attract the dirt either so I am liking it so far.

I also use kerosene but I put it on a dispensing brush like this one. One fill scrubs the whole chain. Just press the top to squirt some kero as you work along the chain.

61NckceCGsL._SY355_.jpg

Back