Can't stop scraping the peg

I run a 55 and that is very tight to fit and get the chain on the sprocket. There's next to nothing for room between the tire (center) and swingarm. But what a difference in dropping into the corners! I have not scraped a peg yet on the new bike with a 55 and the Penske mounted. ;) I did remove the feelers right after getting the new bike home.

Sq

I run a 55 and that is very tight to fit and get the chain on the sprocket. There's next to nothing for room between the tire (center) and swingarm. But what a difference in dropping into the corners! I have not scraped a peg yet on the new bike with a 55 and the Penske mounted. ;) I did remove the feelers right after getting the new bike home.

Do you run stock gearing?

Do you run stock gearing?

Yes. I had a 16t on the front once but went back to 17t. When I'm in the fun stuff, I'm in low gears and high RPMs so 16t didn't make a huge difference to me.

This reminded me to go edit my link in my SIG below to update mods completed vs. mods not yet done. ;)

Last edited:
Yes. I had a 16t on the front once but went back to 17t. When I'm in the fun stuff, I'm in low gears and high RPMs so 16t didn't make a huge difference to me.

This reminded me to go edit my link in my SIG below to update mods completed vs. mods not yet done. ;)
OK .. I was merely interested in why you had trouble getting the chain on, since I'm planning a 17/47 setup. Then I might need a new chain ..

OK .. I was merely interested in why you had trouble getting the chain on, since I'm planning a 17/47 setup. Then I might need a new chain ..

The issue with the chain on the 55 profile tire is that the tire hits the front of the swingarm and it's difficult to get the chain over the sprocket with so little play to push the wheel forward. So, yes, if you are going with the 55R and a 47 on the rear, an extra link or two would be desirable. ;)

I have a 55 profile and a larger rear sproket (+1t) with my wheel all the war forward in the stops and don't have any clearance issues.

The issue with the chain on the 55 profile tire is that the tire hits the front of the swingarm and it's difficult to get the chain over the sprocket with so little play to push the wheel forward. So, yes, if you are going with the 55R and a 47 on the rear, an extra link or two would be desirable. ;)
I didn't see your post until now. What if I deflate my tire just to install the chain, do you think I would be able to get it over a 47T sprocket?

Back