Can't stop scraping the peg

a7x3797

So besides new rearsets... What can be done to prevent scraping? I don't want to hear slow down or body position. I want a mechanical fix. Has anyone tried to put a super sport peg on and did that help? What about raising the pegs?

holding my tongue...

Why? I'm assuming it's because of the body position. Here's the thing, the times I scrape are in situations when either a) I'm at low speeds around a turn or pulling out of somewhere or b) already off the bike as much as I can without dragging

Why? I'm assuming it's because of the body position. Here's the thing, the times I scrape are in situations when either a) I'm at low speeds around a turn or pulling out of somewhere or b) already off the bike as much as I can without dragging

yes, most who hop on here and say they don't want to hear "slow down/body position", really need to hear that... but, as others said, check suspension setup first (especially if it's scrapping at slow speeds).
There are also foot pegs that offer some adjustment without rearsets... MFW Vario Passenger Footpeg Mounts for Yamaha FZ1 -'05, & FJR1300 - TwistedThrottle.com
those are popular on the 6R which didn't have rearsets available.

Assuming you are talking about the pegs and not the feelers? First thing that came off my bike was the peg feelers. Deep into corners and off the seat, I'm not scraping pegs. I run a Penkse 8983 set up for my weight. I also run a 55R rear tire. No issues with the pegs. ;)

Vortex rearsets are $350. thats what i am buying next to address this issue.

The peg feelers are a good indicator that you are pushing it too much on the street. However, good body position remedies it to a certain extent. If you have lot of tight twisties that have proper banking then you will even drag the aftermarket rearsets. I have dragged my Giles sets in such corners even at their highest and rearmost position. So bottom line is good body position as well as not pushing it too much on the street that is the key! My 2c.

The peg feelers are a good indicator that you are pushing it too much on the street. However, good body position remedies it to a certain extent. If you have lot of tight twisties that have proper banking then you will even drag the aftermarket rearsets. I have dragged my Giles sets in such corners even at their highest and rearmost position. So bottom line is good body position as well as not pushing it too much on the street that is the key! My 2c.

I can confirm that the side stand and center stand will both scrape on either side before Vortex rearsets in the highest and rearmost position. Also, being on the throttle is key. When you are off the throttle, the suspension compresses more.

The Vortex seem a good option. I had aftermarket rearsets from china (ottimoto) and still scraped shifting and braking lever besides my shoes (pegs were shorter than boots). It all depends how much the rearsets extend to the side and how flexible are the mounting positions (easy to change from one to another). The Vortex require drilling through the chain sprocket cover but after the ottimoto I am sure the Vortex would have been a better choice.

Back