Cant afford Onlins or penske so my version

Finally got mine installed nearly three months after I got the shock! Just need to adjust it for me but initial impressions are this is worth it.
DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0155.JPG

Can't wait till I get it completely dialed in!

Finally got mine installed nearly three months after I got the shock! Just need to adjust it for me but initial impressions are this is worth it. Can't wait till I get it completely dialed in!

You got the faster yellow spring, like mine. Stock #4 setting will be to hard for you. 2 or 3 setting would be better. For me at 195lbs #3 feels great for me.

I got a little bit of a longer ride in yesterday and I think you're right about the preload. I'm going to go down to three before I take it out in a little bit. I took that pic before I adjusted anything so it was at whatever settings the guy had before.

I also put this together:
Owners Manual info for adjusting r6 shock
R6%252520Shock%252520Adjustments.jpg

Pic with suggested settings (took image from katriders.com and added FZ1 setup)
08-r6-shock.jpg

Last edited:
Dog Bones

Sorry guys, I'm having trouble with finding some dog bones and was wondering if you could send me in the right direction. I ordered one of the shocks from ebay and now i can't seem to find anywhere that will sell dog bones.

I'm about 200 pounds and 6' 4". Just making sure that I should get ones that are 126mm instead of 130mm. If I can find some.

Not wanting to drop a lot of money on adjustable either.

Thanks.

I bought the parts for my adjustable ones for not a lot of money but more than $20. You can get stainless steel custom bones for about $20 from Here. I didn't use them but others I've read have been pleased with his service and product.

As far as height goes, from reading what others about your size have done, I'd say 126 seems right.

You can get stainless steel custom bones for about $20 from Here. I didn't use them but others I've read have been pleased with his service and product.

The bolts are 12mm, so their 13mm holes may be a little sloppy. They would work, but I'd prefer a closer fit.

PS: I measured a pair of stock bones and the holes are 12.5mm diameter. So I guess they are only 0.020" over size.

Last edited:
I bought the parts for my adjustable ones for not a lot of money but more than $20. You can get stainless steel custom bones for about $20 from Here. I didn't use them but others I've read have been pleased with his service and product.

As far as height goes, from reading what others about your size have done, I'd say 126 seems right.

Thanks! I ordered some yesterday. Got my shock in the mail and can't wait to get these links. Looking forward to a better ride. Thanks again.

Installed my r6 shock yesterday. It took all of about 3 hours including the parts run for washers and a bigger drill bit. It was like night and day. My stock shock has about 50k miles on it so it was definitely time for an upgrade.

The dog bones from tk stunt worked great the holes were not oversized at all. I'll post pics later. Thanks again for this thread! Saved me hundreds!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.882184,-117.125145

The bolts are 12mm, so their 13mm holes may be a little sloppy. They would work, but I'd prefer a closer fit.

PS: I measured a pair of stock bones and the holes are 12.5mm diameter. So I guess they are only 0.020" over size.

I've dealt with this guy often. He will machine the holes to whatever diamiter you like, and whatever spacing you like. $20 for custom made stainless isn't bad.
Just contact him and tell him what you want. A pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:
Black spring????

There was an ebay posting for a 2008-2010 r6 rear shock but it had a black spring on it. Anyone ever seen one like this? I was careful to compare pictures, and am confident that it was the shock described as the one that will fit the fz1. For the price, I purchased it even though I couldn't find any info on the black spring. Any ideas?

Success!!!

With the help of this forum and more specifically you devilsyam, I have successfully installed the shock on the fz. Should get to put some miles on it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Hopefully i didnt just shoot myself in the foot. Purchased an 011 R6 shock off ebay. The Hi and Low speed adjustment screws are seperate entitys on this year model. The resulting casting changes to incorporate this change add abit of side to side width. Looks like the amount of overhang the hyd resivor does to one side is balanced out on the other side do to the area added behind the new low and high speed compression adjusting screws Has anyone tried this shock (011-012 R6)or am I about to become the sacrifical lamb?

Back