Calgary Floods -- Calling Oldschool!

I sent Lee a PM a few weeks ago, guess the PM's from here are not tied to his personal e mail...so if anyone has his e mail, send him a message.

I live in Calgary but unfortunately do not know him (nor which part of the city he lives in) so couldn't tell you his status! I can say, however, that RCMP have only reported two people "maybe dead" and two "maybe missing", neither confirmed. No other injuries reported and no further reports of missing/dead, fortunately.

Majority of the city only had light rain and if it wasn't for the news, you probably wouldn't even realize anything was wrong. But those parts of the city that were hit hard, it was an absolutely hectic sight straight out of the movies. People standing on rooftops getting evacuated by helicopter, military driving through providing evac. It was a constant show of helicopters flying overhead either evacuating or screaming at people, word for word "Rivers are rising and there is NO ESCAPE. Get out, get out NOW! Northwest is the ONLY route left!".
I know many people can look at this and just shrug because significantly worse has happened to significantly under-prepared cities and towns, but this is by far the worst for Calgary itself and it all happened extremely fast!

Anyway, I hope any Calgary members around here are OK, I'm sure most will report in soon enough.

I live in Calgary but unfortunately do not know him (nor which part of the city he lives in) so couldn't tell you his status! I can say, however, that RCMP have only reported two people "maybe dead" and two "maybe missing", neither confirmed. No other injuries reported and no further reports of missing/dead, fortunately.

Majority of the city only had light rain and if it wasn't for the news, you probably wouldn't even realize anything was wrong. But those parts of the city that were hit hard, it was an absolutely hectic sight straight out of the movies. People standing on rooftops getting evacuated by helicopter, military driving through providing evac. It was a constant show of helicopters flying overhead either evacuating or screaming at people, word for word "Rivers are rising and there is NO ESCAPE. Get out, get out NOW! Northwest is the ONLY route left!".
I know many people can look at this and just shrug because significantly worse has happened to significantly under-prepared cities and towns, but this is by far the worst for Calgary itself and it all happened extremely fast!

Anyway, I hope any Calgary members around here are OK, I'm sure most will report in soon enough.

Thank you for the first hand update. I'm glad you were personally, relatively unaffected. Keep us posted. Prayers and best wishes for those hit hard.

it all happened extremely fast!

CP, didn't realize you lived there as well, but happy to hear you're ok. And I know 1st hand what you mean about it happening fast, I was evacuated last year due to a fire here in Colorado Springs....I had about 15 mins to leave! I't very scary.

I subscribe to Lee's YouTube channel and he had posted this video from a ride around the flooded areas on his KTM 990. I don't think he would mind if I post it, so here it is.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UALaqfpaqkw"]The Flood of 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, I'm on my phone and can't post the full link to make it show in post. The link should work. I'll fix it later when I'm on the PC.

OK, fixed so it is embedded now. Looks like it was posted about 5 hours ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Not Dead just M.I.A

Sorry, been out of touch for a long time, personal reasons. I still am out here riding come hell or in this case high water. The good news is the water levels are dropping fast now. The damage is only starting to become evident little by little. We were housing some of my daughter's friends that could not get home, even though their homes were OK. The city was and still is a mess for transportation in some areas, but not all that bad considering what could have been. Our house stayed high and dry as did about 90% of the cities housing. We are over 300 feet above river level by design. I grew up on the flood plains of Manitoba, and I made sure to check my elevation before I bought my house 20 years ago in Calgary. We chose carefully in that regard, based on experience.

Thanks Bdazzler for posting that. Here are a few pictures, more can be had by clicking on the pictures to see my Photobucket album.

I am still occasionally lurking, and will be back when I can.

Take care all, and thanks for the thoughts!

So glad you are well buddy!

What is he main cause of the floods? Excessive snow fall over the winter season? ...or did may things warm up faster than normal? ...or something else.

Great to know you are OK. I was hoping you wouldn't mind me posting your video. I didn't exactly ask. I knew I missed you and your camera skillz. You even remembered your password! :poke:

I understand about life. You are always welcome when you are able and missed when you aren't able to be here. Stay safe. I enjoy your YouTube videos, but they make me want to spend money on a dual sport bike again! :mad: Of course, I don't have access to those beautiful mountains. :cry:

Glad to hear you're alright and weren't hit by the worst of it! Many people were not as fortunate, it's been a hell of a ride uncovering the aftermath.
8568441_zps3e8b51e1.jpg
8568438_zps547c4b1e.jpg

05_zpse33437e6.jpg
8560671_zps3356d156.jpg
8560514_zps14d1b514.jpg
8560411_zpsdd3fe72f.jpg
8560410_zps7d2fea78.jpg
8560670_zps043ebb9f.jpg
8560251_zpsde33e263.jpg

The bit circled in red above is a C-Train tunnel. Photos are from the Calgary Herald.

And now begins the hard part.. surveying damage and cleanup. For some people, finding a new place to live while their homes are rebuilt! :surrender:

Back