Buy a new motor or rebuild this one?

Rx_FZ1

After hours of troubleshooting, disassembling and reassembling the clutch I have come to the conclusion my transmission is shot at 28,000 miles. Gear box is shot, no 4th or 5th gear. Dies in first, will take off in second but with terribly high revs, 3rd is intermittent and cuts out. Only gear worth a shit is 6th which is why i was able to ride it home on the interstate. So my transmission needs rebuilt, and a whole new bottom end put on. I'm sick over this, prime riding season and I'm SOL for a bike. I still do not understand how it happened or why other than Murphy's law. I've done extensive research only to find no one else with this problem at 28,000 miles on a Gen 2 FZ1 tranny. Now I'm trying to decide between pulling the motor and rebuilding it or pulling the motor and buying a new slightly used one from a salvage bike on ebay. Any thoughts?

Shitty deal man, sorry to hear you're having such a rough time with the bike.

I suppose your easiest solution would be to find a complete unit on eBay or at a wrecker and simply just pop it in and hope for the best. I have had luck with this in the past when I bought a cheap Ninja 650R with a blown motor. The eBay unit came complete and I had it installed by a friend.

Seems this is the general consensus as well as the cheapest and fastest repair option. Thanks for the input, I just needed to hear it from others that have been in this situation before i pull the trigger on a 1,000.00 motor

Unless you feel competent in your mechanical skills, first time rebuilding a tranny is a biiiiiitch and if you do one thing wrong, you can blow it up all over again. forget one snap ring, or put it on the wrong side of one gear for example...

anyway, new to you engine would be the ideal situation as it really sounds like you fluked out with a bad tranny.

IMHO, 28k miles is like a trillion on a 12:1 engine

After hours of troubleshooting, disassembling and reassembling the clutch I have come to the conclusion my transmission is shot at 28,000 miles. Gear box is shot, no 4th or 5th gear. Dies in first, will take off in second but with terribly high revs, 3rd is intermittent and cuts out. Only gear worth a shit is 6th which is why i was able to ride it home on the interstate. So my transmission needs rebuilt, and a whole new bottom end put on. I'm sick over this, prime riding season and I'm SOL for a bike. I still do not understand how it happened or why other than Murphy's law. I've done extensive research only to find no one else with this problem at 28,000 miles on a Gen 2 FZ1 tranny. Now I'm trying to decide between pulling the motor and rebuilding it or pulling the motor and buying a new slightly used one from a salvage bike on ebay. Any thoughts?

It is not a gold wing, I would not be surprised at 28k the motor being shot, but if it has compression, then just do the gears and clutch. I would never buy used parts for anything.

28k for this motor isn't much at all. There is a lady here who has over 100k on her first gen. Most of the true riders here have FZ1with higher miles than this. I just have shit luck and got a bad one. Dropped 2008 with 7k on it in October. She runs like a champ once again.

For me it would be a used unit ,, weighing up the time and money you would put into that lump you could be back on the road in no time probably for not much more

Back