Bike shopping - New 2009/10 FZ1, or Maybe Something Else ???

I appreciated the 'spirited' comments!

Right now, I'd have to say that I could go for a either the FZ1 or FZ8 and be perfectly happy. I'm waiting on some business deals to firm up, so I hope I'll be able to make a purchase by the end of the summer. Also, I can probably work a little better deal after the spring/summer rush. The weather here is quite rideable through the fall, and even many days in the winter months.

In consideration of the ya'lls advice, I've looked at listings of a number of used FZ1 and FZ8s. Assuming that prices could be negotiated, it looks like it would be possible to save some $$ by purchasing a used bike via private sell.

However - I really am hesitant about this because in consideration of my location, these are almost all quite a distance out-of-state. The motorcycle population in Mississippi is dominated by either cruisers or young guys on supersports. There are just not that many standards / UJMs. When I had my Bandit, I never saw another naked sportbike within a hundred miles. I'd get asked all the time a gas stations "man, nice bike -- what the heck is it??". Kinda funny.

Anyway, since I'm not as advanced as others on this forum in regards to the potential mechanical issues (especially on a 5 to 6 year old bike), I really feel better about making the purchase from a dealer, either a hold-over or slightly used. There is something to be said for "peace of mind", even if it costs a little more money.

Take care,

I recently bought a new (hold over) 2011 FZ1. Yamaha updated the fuel injection mapping for 2011 per their website. THe engine is smooth as butter in my opinion. It's way better than my 2005 with carburetors. First gear is very tall, so you really have to rev up the engine to take off from a stop. You can't be to lazy in traffic like with a vee twin cruiser.

The fuel mileage is ok, but not great and the gas tank is a little smaller than I care to think about. The 2011 silver is a great color. Not fond of the 2012 asphalt black and white scheme. I am not sure if you can get an out the door price for $7,500; add sales taxes, freight, set-up, license plate and title fees etc will push the OTD price close to $10,000. My best OTD price in the Seattle area was $10k.

Back