Bike shopping - New 2009/10 FZ1, or Maybe Something Else ???

Greetings -

I’ve been watching this forum since I first became interested in the FZ1s, and I’m really impressed by the quality of the comments – so thanks in advance for your opinions. I am a 40 yr old male “family guy” shopping for a practical – but fun - bike for my 60-mile round trip commutes and some light weekend riding.

I’ve previously owned a Bandit 1250, which I sold several years ago. I liked the semi-naked appearance, but I found the power delivery woefully uninspiring, the handling was unwieldy for in-town commuting, and the transmission was clumsy and emitted a very loud “keerrrthunkkkk” between gear changes.

For this bike, I’ve allowed myself a budget of $7500. Within this price range, I’ve looked at several dealer-holdover new 2009/10 FZ1s, 2011 FZ8s, and the new 2012 Ninja 650. I’ve eliminated the FZ8 due to the lack of a windscreen, although I think this is a really awesome motorcycle. The 2012 Ninja 650 is also extremely well reviewed. In terms of power it is certainly in a different class than the FZ1 – however, it has some distinct selling points in terms of ergonomic comfort, fuel economy (50 mpg or better), light-weight handling, and inexpensive insurance.

The concerns I have about the FZ1 mainly center on the power delivery. I’ve seen reviewers describe the Gen II throttles response in much the same way as one would describe a bipolar girlfriend! Even though the ECU has undergone many improvements, I’m left to wonder if I would be satisfied with the bike's temperament in-town. It seems to be best suited for long stretches of open road. Several other negative items I’ve seen include the hard seat, and reports of an “awkward” rider position due to the reward sweep of the handles bars. I’m not so much worried about this little stuff because it’s easy to correct. I’ve also seen a long-term reviewer criticize a phenomena akin to “ball roasting” due to poor heat dissipation under the seat on long rides.

Anyway, I know you guys (and girls) are avid FZ1 owners, and I’d really like to weigh some feedback on how you think this motorcycle would fit the type of riding I’d be doing versus some of the other options.

Ride Safe!

I test road the ninja 650 and it's lame compared to the fz1 and in my opinion Kawi build quality isn't up to par with Yamaha. Just take a look at the guages they look cheap.In town riding is comfortable for me and this is where I do most of my commuting. The bars put a little strain on your wrists however the ninja was worse. The fz1 is an all around better choice more power and better build quality. You can find a used fz1 for as low as 4k and you will get a lot of bang for your buck. Good luck with your purchase and test ride both if you can.

I've put plenty of mileage on the first generation 650R (basically the same bike). It is a nice bike but it is clearly built to a price point.

The motor is very nice for the size, lots of punch and excellent economy. Good fuel injection and fairly smooth given the parallel twin layout. It sounds awful and lacks the high-rpm rush you find in an i4 like the FZ1. Very pedestrian.

As Ethan mentioned, Kawasaki build quality and fit & finish is poor and their budget bikes show this especially. Reliability is not an issue and the bike is easy to work on.

Chassis is ok. The stock suspension is pretty soft on the model(s) I rode and just felt a little sloppy to me. Brakes are quite good, though.

It is a very comfortable bike with lots of wind protection. Nice ergos that should suit most people. I found it extremely comfortable for me and was like a Goldwing comparing it to a supersport or even my SV650 which has ergos similar to a gen 2 FZ1

It's not in the same class as an FZ1 but I would totally recommend you test drive one anyway. :)

There is so much to choose from, try as many bikes as you can! :)

Last edited:
Just like what Dustin said there is a lot to choose from and you shouldn't limit your choices. Most dealerships are good with tests rides and why not take advantage of it. I presume you are looking for a bike with good ergos and still retaining performance? There is a lot to choose from and you cant go wrong with any of the big four. Some are just built a little better than others. The Fz1 is a very versatile machine an i think you would be more than pleased with it. However there other nice options out there. Cb1000r, Z1000, sv650, 929. kawi also has a Z1000 that is semi naked which might be a good option for you to try as well. I'm sure Dustin can through you a few more ideas. Oh and one of his threads might be useful to you.

Why buy new for the FZ1? The design is essentially the same since 06. The ECU is improved somewhat in the later years but all performance issues can be fixed with some aftermarket help. Buy used and put a few $K into upgrades and you will have an amazing all arounder.

BTW, I've got about $7500 into my bike with a purchase price of $3400. See signature for upgrades.

i agree with eurban.....get one already modded with the goodies.....my 06 is about as good as they get with 17k miles on it....runs like new and plenty fast...you put headers on these bikes with power commander and custom map them, you got one of the best liter bikes out there....

Thanks guys for all of the good feedback!

@Dustin - based on your and @ethandf06 comments, I am coming around to the realization that for the money, the FZ1 would be much more bike for the $$$$. I think over the long haul, having the extra size and power would be more satisfactory, especially on the rare occasions where I might take a longer trip out of town.

I had also not heard of any systemic build-quality issues with the Kawi - but that is good to know. I get really annoyed with little "form & fit" issues, especially things that would be no big deal address with competent engineering. The Ninja 650 is "price point" bike, for sure. Biggest negative complaint I've seen in this regard is they skimmed on the foot-peg mounts, and they are really buzzy around 5000 rpm.

I am also impressed size of the knowledge base on the FZ1 Gen II. After finding a link to them elsewhere on this forum, I watched all of the Copperdawg tutorial videos (which are extremely well done!) and read a lot of the associated comments. It very reassuring to have so many people with in-depth experience on this platform.

I'm going to go back an take a harder at the FZ8. This seemed to be a good compromise between the two, but my big concern was the lack of a windscreen. Not so much the wind - but in the summer in Mississippi we get bugs the size of small birds. A quarter-sized mosquito in the chest at 80 mph can feel like you've been shot with a '22. I've seen some good aftermarket screens on the FZ8 forum that might just do the trick. The FZ8 has very positive comments in the literature, and looks like an excellent motorcycle. Price wise, there are new '11 FZ8s for around $6700.

Take care,

If you want that size of bike but with wind protection, have a look at the VFR800 as well.

If you are considering an FZ8, go for a lightly used FZ1 instead. It will cost less and is a better package. Plus, it has wind protection.

You need to scrutinize your riding as well. If you find yourself just riding around town and rarely get out on the highways or on tour, a 650R would be a great bike.

I went from an FZ1 to an SV650 and although it has half the power, I think it's twice as fun. It's all about character and finding the bike that does what you want

Last edited:
Know that i am more comfortable on my FZ1 its the most fun I have had on two Wheels yet. I would Suggest against the FZ8 its components are not up to par with the fz1. Such as suspension which inst fully adjustable. And for the price your going to pay for it you could pick up a lightly used fz1 just like Dustin said. However the Fz8 is better at lower Rpm and the power curve is much more linear.

Last edited:
Fz1 has no balls up to about 5k then it starts to pull then at 8k you better be holding on. Where as the Fz8 will have a little more snap at lower rpm and the 650 having some good mid to low range punch.

check out the Fz6, Fz6r winch is very similar to the ninja 650r, And an sv650. Who knows maybe they might better suit you for your cycle needs. However there is no replacement for displacement.:sinister:

check out the Fz6, Fz6r winch is very similar to the ninja 650r, And an sv650. Who knows maybe they might better suit you for your cycle needs. However there is no replacement for displacement.:sinister:

I'm originally from MS. I know about those delta bugs for sure!

Ethandf06 has a good point.

I have the FZ6R set up for touring and sporting. I love it! Well versed all around bike and can handle hairpin turns in the ozarks very very well. I have a +1 front sproket I plan on installing soon but only makes minimal changes: corrects odo, give 3+ miles per gallon, lower rpms on highway/interstate by 500rpm.
On our sister site there are some members who make custom parts such as soft saddlebag brackets, tail box brackets and touring wind screens plus more. Plus race tech offers suspension upgrades for around $250. IMO if a bike can do 130mph then it's plenty of power. Each to their own. I suggest test riding. Yamaha's demo program runs through end of August so go online to main website and click on test ride to find participating dealers.. Most dealers are running it so you should find one. Ride them all!!! And if you do like the fz6r I may sell mine :p with all it's tasteful mods including Pazzo levers, 1" up and 1" back riser and low mileage.

Any way good luck!

Last edited:
Fz1 has no balls up to about 5k then it starts to pull then at 8k you better be holding on. Where as the Fz8 will have a little more snap at lower rpm and the 650 having some good mid to low range punch.

Stock to Stock, the Fz8 is probably better sorted in its fueling and is tuned for low end power. Unfortunately, in spite of its smaller engine it weighs about same as the FZ1.
The stock FZ1 does have a relatively weak bottom end and glitchy fueling. That's why a used bike makes sense. With the aftermarket's help, improvements to the power and delivery can be nothing short of mind blowing. Decent low end, 25hp+ gains by 7Krpm and smooth, linear power. . . With the low price of used machines and be abundant aftermarket, the "room to grow" is whole lot greater on 1. Have Fun!

Last edited:
Most comments about fueling issues on the FZ1 are way overblown. The '06's had issues but these were fixed in later years. Jump on a box stock FZ1 and it runs fine, it's not going to feel lean or stumble or anything like that. You can do all the mods people like to do to improve response but it is NOT necessary by any means. It is pretty well sorted out as a stock unit. I think a lot of people do the mods because they are told they are necessary to be able to enjoy the bike and make it rideable, they aren't.

The FZ8 is nice, but the price differential usually means the FZ1 is a better deal.

Shop around and let us know which way you go.

well said.....my 06 air and exhaust is modified.....throttle snatch is not a issue...i have never ridden a FZ8 but did ride a FZ6 and loved it....

It's worth noting that there's a big difference between the older FZ6 and the newer FZ6R.

I have ridden both and found the FZ6R to be a nice bike and well equipped but very dull. It's even more pedestrian than the 650R and the SV650 which it is competing with. Power delivery is very uninteresting and it makes a lot less peak horsepower (25hp I believe) than the previous FZ6 which is much more similar to the R6 which its motor is based from. It's also got cheaper components than the older FZ6

It's worth noting that there's a big difference between the older FZ6 and the newer FZ6R.

I have ridden both and found the FZ6R to be a nice bike and well equipped but very dull. It's even more pedestrian than the 650R and the SV650 which it is competing with. Power delivery is very uninteresting and it makes a lot less peak horsepower (25hp I believe) than the previous FZ6 which is much more similar to the R6 which its motor is based from. It's also got cheaper components than the older FZ6

It is worth noting the FZ6 and the FZ6R are nothing alike. Not one similarity other than gauges and controls.

I wouldn't say the power is dull but is linear across the rev range and predictable. It makes a perfect for a do-it-all'er other than off road. Of course with the right suspension modifications it could perform "like" a dual sport. Yes it could use the power of the engine it is based off (1999-2003 R6) but Yamaha knew what they were doing with the way it was geared for its particular uses. I've done 900 miles one way and it never faltered. One of our members has cleared 60k miles and still going strong so is it "cheap?" Not at all! You should get your hands dirty with one.. It's built "like" the FZ1 gen 1 but with fuel injection and is IMO mapped very well. There is nothing cheap about it.. Affordable yes.

Now it's up to this gentleman what type of bike he needs to suit those needs. Power isn't everything but is more than less. Like I said before, if a bike can get to 130mph faster than most cars and can carry a full loaded bag set up with a pillion then it's good enough for most people. I'm not arguing with you but I do know more facts and won't allow miss leading someone over an opinion. He wants facts and I delivered.

Back