Bike for Wifey

It's killing me, but now she thinks she wants her own!

Looking at Kawasaki Eliminator 125
Honda Rebel 250
Suzuki GZ250
Kymco Quannon 150
Yamaha V-Star (Virago) 250

Any other ideas? She hated the position on the Ninja 250. I was bummed.

Feels the FZ6 is too heavy. Also with the Gladius and SV650.

Obviously, prefer local in NJ or PA, DE.

Don't want to spend a lot, it's her 1st effort...

Oh, and although I tried, she HATES Dualsports! So much for the CRF230L.

You might expect this from me. Look at the Hyosung GT250. It is the naked version of the GT250R that I got my wife. They are incredibly light. You can also get these super cheap. It has the upright seating position I was trying to acheive through mods on my wife's GT250R.

i_GT250.jpg

Price is the main reason I went with it. If my wife decides she does not like riding I will get most of my money back. If she does like it we will trade it in for something better.

I would find a used Virago 250. I've seen a few on Craigslist over the past few months. They are relatively cheap and easy to ride and unless she does a lot of highway riding (where lack of power becomes obvious) might take her a while to outgrow it.

Been here, done this! After sitting on many bikes, including all those mentioned, and then some more, my wife chose a Rebel against my admonitions of inadequacy. She got her MC learner's permit (Va law) and then trained on it. She did well (first bike/riding experience at age 45)(she is 5'2" and 120lbs.) The Rebel handled so poorly that she had to take the practical test twice before passing. The VTX I had at the time went through the cones easier than the Rebel! I had repeatedly suggested the Suzuki S40 but she felt it was "too big." To make a long story short(er), right after obtaining her MC endorsement and then realizing the Rebel was not enough bike she went by a dealer on her way to the airport, bought a S40, phoned me to go pick it up. It is still in the garage two years later (all good). She is very happy with it except above 65 mph where she claims it vibrates too much. I am slowly aiming her towards my FZ6 (will need lower seat height).

What is her inseam? Seat height is important and getting a bike with options to lower it is key. My wife LOVES her FZ6R with the lowering link on it. She's only 5' 2" with a 29" inseam. With her boots on, she can flatfoot the bike. Of course, the FZ6R is new since '09 so finding one with a low price tag would be difficult. She has no trouble with the weight of the bike either.

I'm a huge fan of that FZ6R since riding Michele's (Eric's wife). Very sweet ride that does everything right. If there was only to be one bike left in the whole world this bike would satisfy most people's needs.

It's killing me, but now she thinks she wants her own!

She'll be great! Have her take the MSF course, get her some books to read, maybe like: Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough & ride with her!
And then you'll aways have someone to ride with! Win/Win situation!
Good luck finding her a bike!

Just some food for thought about buying a first bike.

My wife originally wanted a Ninja 250, but I taught her how to ride on a ZZR600. I knew she would outgrow that 250 in about 6 months, and she is glad she got a Ninja 650R instead. She took the three day Motorcycle Safety course in Ohio (they provide a bike and on the third day, so long as the student passes the course, they automatically earn an MC endorsement). I highly recomend a course like this, its great!

The Ninja 650R isnt lite, but its comfortable, well mannered and my wife won't ever out grow it. She is about 5'04" tall & 136lbs and she doesn't think the 650R feels nearly as heavy as it actually is. She had hers custom painted recently and I added a pic.

I still sometimes worry when we ride (because there are so many idiots on the road), but I do enjoy both of us having our own bikes. Good luck choosing a bike, and let us know what you end up getting for your wife.

Just some food for thought about buying a first bike.

My wife originally wanted a Ninja 250, but I taught her how to ride on a ZZR600. I knew she would outgrow that 250 in about 6 months, and she is glad she got a Ninja 650R instead. She took the three day Motorcycle Safety course in Ohio (they provide a bike and on the third day, so long as the student passes the course, they automatically earn an MC endorsement). I highly recomend a course like this, its great!

The Ninja 650R isnt lite, but its comfortable, well mannered and my wife won't ever out grow it. She is about 5'04" tall & 136lbs and she doesn't think the 650R feels nearly as heavy as it actually is. She had hers custom painted recently and I added a pic.

I still sometimes worry when we ride (because there are so many idiots on the road), but I do enjoy both of us having our own bikes. Good luck choosing a bike, and let us know what you end up getting for your wife.

Very Nice! Tell her she's got one sweet looking ride!
And for all you guys that worry about your wives riding.....it just shows us you love us! And we worry about it everytime our guys go out too!

Thanks all. I'm really struggling with this. My wife Michelle (future references will now be Wifey) is tall at 5' 9". There's no problem with her touching the ground, but she is just intimidated by anything she feels is "heavy" by comparison.

I totally thought an FZ6 or SV650 would be perfect, but she didn't feel comfortable at all for her first time. She's a bit of a perfectionist as well, and doesn't want to do it wrong.

I feel very strongly that she'll outgrow an Eliminator 125 in 2 weeks, and a Rebel or Virago 250 in 4 weeks. I know as soon as she gets her confidence she'll be looking for something a little more, but she's always on the safe side and has never broken a bone or even been in an ambulance!

I was really hoping for the Ninjette, but she didn't like it at all, and said she felt like she was on top of the front handlebars.

Personally, I have a really hard time going out and buying a 2008 or 2009 motorcycle that's new and still has a carburetor. Especially one that's been around for 15 years and hasn't changed a bit like the Virago or Rebel, but the price is $1,500 more than it was 3 years ago.

As far as the Hyosung, I'm just afraid that given the current depreciation rate on just about everything in our disposable society, that if I choose the Hyo or the Kymco Quannon I'll have a bike that isn't worth the price of the tires it's riding on after a year, and she might just get bored of it in 2 months and want more.

Then there's always the possibility that she decides she doesn't like it at all, even though now it looks really good to her. How will she feel the first time she's stuck in the rain, or freezing her hands on a cold night after the temp dropped 15 degrees when the sun went down?

Most of all, I'm afraid for her and myself. I know it seems chauvanistic, but I try to protect her and our family from everything, be it physical, financial, or emotiional. If something happened to her after I get her involved in this (she didn't ever get on the back before last year) I don't know how I could deal with it.

For me, I can have damage or deal with an accident, but I could not stand over my wife in a situation where she even tipped over at low speed and had an injury. I have to come to grips with the fear.

As far as my daughter is concerned, at 6 years old, Mommy is very important! Also, I know Lexi (daughter) will be getting a bike as soon as she can, and will find a guy just like daddy! I'm going to have to kill the guy, poor bastard!

At some point I'll have to come to terms with Lexi getting on a bike, and I don't want to be a parent or husband that sends their kid to ride with someone unqualified because I won't teach them. That's what I think will lead my 15 year old child getting on some 17 year old's GSX-R.

How do you all (men and women riders) deal with your significant others doing what you love even though we know it's dangerous because of others out on the road?

I'm struggling...

Thanks for the support.

Brian

Brian, I felt the same way at first but my wife (Michele) is a very strong-willed woman and it wasn't going to matter what I did or did not want if she was determined to get on a bike, Well, I worried my head off for the first couple years. I still worry if she is out at night until I hear the bike pull in. She used to take it to work and then ride an hour away for college at night coming back home at 11pm at night.

While I still worry, I have to trust that she will be fine out there and not dwell on the negative side. But, she's done fine and in 4 years, she's only dropped the bikes when parking, never on the road. She's a very careful rider out there and doesn't take chances like I do at times.

It is a struggle for me but it is not my say. ;)

In my case, I feel like I am the one pushing for it. My wife has expressed an interest from time to time. I knew she would never even explore this if there was not one just sitting there with her name on it. I am fully prepared for her to decide she has no interest after a few training sessions in a parking lot. That is why I got the Hyo for $2,700. I can deal with being stuck with that. I definitely would not be happy if I dropped $6K - $8K and she decided it was not for her. Besides, this thing still only has 100 miles on it and is still covered by factory warranty. Someone will jump on that in a heart beat if I need to sell it.

On the protective side I know exactly where you are coming from. Consider my position. She was not asking for a bike. I provided one to encourage her. If anything ever happens to her I will feel like it is my fault. Maybe if she does gain a passion for it that feeling will fade. A lady at my office got in a wreck on her Harley riding with her husband back in February. She is just now coming back to work. That really had me thinking for a while I was just going to get rid of it. You notice I did not do anything to the bike for about 2 months.

LyteHouse is right though. If we did not care these thoughts would not cross our minds. I have decide that the best I can do is teach her and teach her well if she decides to ride. I can arm her with the knowledge and experience I have gained over the past 20 years. If she acquires a passion for it there will be no stopping her. That much I know.

How do you all (men and women riders) deal with your significant others doing what you love even though we know it's dangerous because of others out on the road?

I'm struggling...

Thanks for the support.

Brian

Hey Brian, I know exactly how you are feeling right now. Last April when I brought home my 16 year old's Ninja I was so proud and happy. Then it came time to ride it and I was extremely nervous. Now granted, my son got his first bike at age 6, so he knew the basics of riding a motorcycle. I was worried more about other people on the road than what he would be doing wrong. It took me a while but what I did was for the first week or two I would take him after work hours to a secluded commercial section near my house and let him get the hang of the bike. He didn't necessarily enjoy that but it was for his own good. Then when I knew he had really good mechanical control of the bike, I started taking him on road during "off peak" hours only. I'm talking very early on Sunday mornings. We would head out at about 8am and be home by the time the public would be on the roads. I can't say that I wasn't nervous every single time I went out with him because I was. Just as you said, I would die had anything happened to him out on the road. My solution at first was to have wireless communications with him. Only to forewarn him of possible dangers and what to look ahead for. This worked out really well. After about 2 months, I was less nervous on the road and was actually able to enjoy my ride as well. It's all about taking it slow and easy, ride when the roads are less populated, and although it's boring, the first few weeks should be off the street and in a large parking lot somewhere. Once she rides more and more, her confidence will grow and things will come together on all fronts. I hope this helps you out just a little bit. Granted, something could happen no matter what time you head out but you can lower the chances by getting out while most people are still sleeping.

:2cents:

Here's my experience. My wife (Jodie) and I are both 40. I've been riding since about 8 years old, and her dad has always had bikes. She had limited experience on her younger brother's bikes when she was in High School and College, and rode on the back with me when we dated. (in the '90s) [long story, but my XT350 turned into her engadgment ring in '92 and I've been without a bike of my own since :cry: but I'm saving for an FZ1 ASAP.]

My wife decided earlier this year that she wanted a bike, so we went looking. Her dad was steering her toward the Rebal and bikes like that, but I pointed her toward the baby Ninja (250) and she fell in love with a brand new black '09. I wanted her to get the green or red just so it was easier to see, but I couldn't change her mind on the black.

2009_black_kawasaki_ninja_250_r1-300x220.jpg

I encourage her to ride it when she can. We live in a small town enviroment in central IL, so there's no bumper to bumper traffic, or too much to look out for other than slow farm equipment, and there's always the unaware idiot in a car. She has taken to it well and enjoys it tremendously. She picked out her riding gear (gloves, armored jacket, boots, helmet) and is very safe and reserved. I know she'll out grow the 250, but it's been a great starter and should last her a few years. We both feel it's too underpowered for the interstate. We are having it lowered a bit to help her back it out of the garage and get flat footed with it. She's only laid it over once in a parking lot while parking (grabbing too much front brake with the wheel turned in a bit of sand/gravel).

Anyway, as far as suggestions, since your wife didn't like the riding position of the Ninja 250, and wants a lightweight bike, she might want to look at a Suzuki TU250 or the Suzuki GZ250

suzuki-tu250_460x0w.jpg
suzuki-gz250.jpg

If she needs a bit more power, the Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki Ninja 500 might be decent choices.

2007-suzuki-gs500f.jpg
ninja%2B500%2Brr.jpg

It's been suggested before, but the Yamaha FZ6R is something to look at, but it will have more power and weight than the others. I'm hoping my wife will get an FZ6R or even FZ6 (if it can be lowered enough) when she's ready to move up.

2009-yamaha-fz6r-picture-1.jpg
2007_2_FZ6_TeYamBlue.jpg

I'm afraid most entry level bikes (including the Ninja 250) will have carbs instead of fuel injection to keep them cheap.

Good luck, and let us know what she gets. Stay safe, and point her toward some good gear.

The FZ6 can barely be lowered. The FZ6R can be lowered about 1.25"

My wife came from a V Star 650 Custom which was HEAVY!!! Even though the FZ6R is somewhat on the heavy side, it is very well balanced and low in center of gravity. For this, she loves it. She had a hard time with the cruisers as it was too much work to get them to corner. Not a big deal for most but this is a woman trying to follow me and I'm ONLY a corner guy and hate the straights. Now that she is on a sport bike, she's keeping up with me if I am not pushing it too hard. When I do push it, she knows I'm waiting at the next straight for her to catch up. With the cruisers, that was quite a wait. With the sport bike, it's not all that long before she's back on my tail.

If we did not care these thoughts would not cross our minds. I have decide that the best I can do is teach her and teach her well if she decides to ride. I can arm her with the knowledge and experience I have gained over the past 20 years. If she acquires a passion for it there will be no stopping her. That much I know.

LOL! You sound just like my husband there! I initally expressed an interest in my own bike, he encouraged me to take the MSF course, and gave me a few books to read. We'd ride together & he'd tell me what was good & what was not so good. I learned from that, as much as I hated it when he'd tell me "how to" do something.
Even yesterday, I had a quick errand to do, so I took the FZ1....he had the garage door open before I was in the driveway when I returned! That's love!

LOL! You sound just like my husband there! I initally expressed an interest in my own bike, he encouraged me to take the MSF course, and gave me a few books to read. We'd ride together & he'd tell me what was good & what was not so good. I learned from that, as much as I hated it when he'd tell me "how to" do something.
Even yesterday, I had a quick errand to do, so I took the FZ1....he had the garage door open before I was in the driveway when I returned! That's love!

:D and you sound just like my wife! I did exactly this for her... MSF (and I took it with her for support even though I had my license) and then with the Scala headsets, I've coached her even though I know she hates having me tell her "how to" as well.

And yes, we always leave the garage door open if either is home first. In the mornings, I always get the bikes out and warmed up as she is gearing up. :D

He's a keeper Brenda! :tup:

Back