Are People INSANE?

I think people associate HD with being safe because they are typically owned by older riders and have a "relaxed" driving position.

I do agree that as long as they are ridden within their boundaries they are completely safe, but in a panic stop or maneuvering situation I'd rather be on my FZ1.

I have a couple friends who say in the ER they see Harley riders, riders who often were going only 30 mph but thought they were too badass for any other cars or trucks to mess with them. : oops:

I have a couple friends who say in the ER they see Harley riders, riders who often were going only 30 mph but thought they were too badass for any other cars or trucks to mess with them. : oops:

Well those are probably the same ones that think those "ride pudding bowls" that they pass off as helmets are going to protect them in a crash...lol.

Seriously when on a bike don't mess with a car or a truck...you'll end up on the losing end 100% of the time.

Speeding is much less likely (in safer situations) to cause other wrecks or harm to other people on the road. It might be dangerous for me though. But I don't blaze through traffic because startling other drivers or causing more tension in traffic puts others at risk than just myself. Now add irresponsible riding to no helmet or proper clothing, and stunting, and you get completely inappropriate, and when "the law of averages" takes over, taxpayers get to pay for the cleanup, and the likely horror of the wreck/death/collision with others on the road affects other peoples' lives.

If you fail while skydiving, the likelihood of hurting someone else is pretty slim. And when you skydive, I'm pretty certain you have hyper-focus on safety, training and the proper gear. Same goes for SCUBA which is really dangerous, and so much training is about 'what if' scenarios. Morons riding like that in traffic don't have an escape plan, and without proper gear, don't care about the potential for their own injury, so it's called stupidity.

I do think I drive more dangerously than many Harley riders, but I also think I can out-maneuver in an emergency (and I won't be bar-hopping while riding either which is way more dangerous than turning at full-tilt.) I believe you don't have as much of a sense of speed on a chopper either - which might contribute to a false sense of security.

I am 58 and new to sportbikes, so I can barely remember when I was 25 and invincible.

Sunday I am at the Cycle Gear on Hwy 80 and Madison in Sacramento, CA trying to get my gear off in the parkinglot.

Traffic over on EB Hwy 80 this bright sunny 75 degree day is fairly heavy at 60+mph. I watch a group of 20-30 Sportbikes coming by. No one had on a jacket, some had on shorts and tennis shoes with T-shirts.

As they go by cars at 70mph, one bike is in the fast-left lane, doing a "75mph wheely," passing all the others in his crowd.

Maybe I am not used to my bikes incridible speed and handling, but wonder what makes anyone do something this crazy.

So this morning, I asked a co-worker why he stopped riding Sportbikes(ZX11). He said he did wheelies all the time riding from Sacramento to San Francisco, "riding with my home boys.". 12 years ago when his son was born two "home boys" died stunting on the freeway from Colorado to Sacramento.

To quote the clerk at CG (that races), "The law of averages has not caught up with that group you just saw." :confused:

We see those kinds of stupid antics up here and since NH is the live free or die state they don't require helmets. We see all kinds of squids up here. Even their chicas don't wear much more than a strappy tank top, shorts and sandals when they're on the back of the bike. Not smart if you ask me. Are people insane? You get an unequivocal YES in my book. Even in 90 degree weather I have on all my gear. Darwin at its finest.

Last edited:
I have always been a helmet advocate,but I'm even more so after my helmet split in my accident. A minor thing I walked away from could've been the end. I'll never go without one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back