Are People INSANE?

Sactown2008

I am 58 and new to sportbikes, so I can barely remember when I was 25 and invincible.

Sunday I am at the Cycle Gear on Hwy 80 and Madison in Sacramento, CA trying to get my gear off in the parkinglot.

Traffic over on EB Hwy 80 this bright sunny 75 degree day is fairly heavy at 60+mph. I watch a group of 20-30 Sportbikes coming by. No one had on a jacket, some had on shorts and tennis shoes with T-shirts.

As they go by cars at 70mph, one bike is in the fast-left lane, doing a "75mph wheely," passing all the others in his crowd.

Maybe I am not used to my bikes incridible speed and handling, but wonder what makes anyone do something this crazy.

So this morning, I asked a co-worker why he stopped riding Sportbikes(ZX11). He said he did wheelies all the time riding from Sacramento to San Francisco, "riding with my home boys.". 12 years ago when his son was born two "home boys" died stunting on the freeway from Colorado to Sacramento.

To quote the clerk at CG (that races), "The law of averages has not caught up with that group you just saw." :confused:

:+2:

Some people either live for the now only and don't care, or they've just never had a close call or accident and don't know what the pain or death will be like without getting a full dose personally.

Insane you ask? there's all levels of that, and plenty of examples all around.

Probably athiests - hey, if you've got nothing to live for... might as well live as much as you can while you can right?

They do it for the same reason anyone ever does anything thrilling or dangerous

My HD renting friends wonder why I bought the FZ1 after they read reviews from links I sent them, "Isn't this bike way too dangerous?"

One buddy has some kind of 900cc Cruiser (a Volusa?), He thinks I made a huge mistake, "Your SO CONSERVATIVE on a bike, why buy something so dangerous? I was sure you were buying a Harley."

"I don't do crazy stuff and I want to know the HP is there if I ever needed it," was my reply. The "Street bars on on R1 position," actually feels better on my L3-L4 back problem I've had for the last year.

At a men's breakfast at my church some serious HD friends said, "Wow, a red sport bike? It's SWEET! These are scary fast. You need to shred that back tire as you leave." NOT!

:unworthy:

I can't ever figure out why people think HD or cruisers are "safer" than sport bikes. I understand the temptation of driving fast and abusing the power, which I'm sure is what they are referring to, but IMHO, the HD is the unsafe bike. It's heavy, underpowered, worthless handling and a horrible seating position where you could never lift yourself off the seat if needed.

soapbox-1.jpg

:cuss:

I can't ever figure out why people think HD or cruisers are "safer" than sport bikes. I understand the temptation of driving fast and abusing the power, which I'm sure is what they are referring to, but IMHO, the HD is the unsafe bike. It's heavy, underpowered, worthless handling and a horrible seating position where you could never lift yourself off the seat if needed.

soapbox-1.jpg

:cuss:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT. I hated the things in slow traffic. A nightmare to turn around in a parking lot. I mean really, the Super Glide was 200lbs heavier than this 08 FZ1. With my back problem we had to stop all the time. The Crusier sitting position was slow death. No one else rented in Sacramento County but HD dealers. So glad The Red Rocket ended all my searching.

It's heavy, underpowered, worthless handling and a horrible seating position where you could never lift yourself off the seat if needed.

I used to think like that but I rode a bunch of them before last year and changed my tune.

They're cruisers and are perfectly competent at that. At no point did I ever feel that I wouldn't be able to stop or maneuver adequately to avoid impending disaster.

Sure, if you ride it like a sportbike at sportbike speeds, of course it will feel like a piece; it's a cruiser!

I had no problem maneuvering even the biggest HD around, I thought they were quite friendly. Even the V-Rod was a pussycat

They do it for the same reason anyone ever does anything thrilling or dangerous

Wow, that's disappointing

Thrilling and dangerous is not equal to stupid idiotic, self-centered cause other people danger riding. You can get your thrill and danger away from traffic, or on a track, and not put other lives (who might not be so 'in' to thrill and danger) at grave risk.

I think people associate HD with being safe because they are typically owned by older riders and have a "relaxed" driving position.

I do agree that as long as they are ridden within their boundaries they are completely safe, but in a panic stop or maneuvering situation I'd rather be on my FZ1.

Thrilling and dangerous is not equal to stupid idiotic, self-centered cause other people danger riding. You can get your thrill and danger away from traffic, or on a track, and not put other lives (who might not be so 'in' to thrill and danger) at grave risk.

That depends on your opinion. Some people view simple speeding as endangering other road-users. By their accounts, anyone who ever takes a corner quickly or exceeds the speed limit at any time is risking public safety. You could well be lumped in with those other people in the public eye if you've ever exceeded the speed limit on your bike

Last edited:
The same reason one bungie jumps (guilty) sky dives (guilty) or climbs mountains (guilty guilty..oh and guilty)or takes the twisties at full tilt, (um..also guilty) its an adrenaline rush. Most of us do it in different ways..I'm 45, and while I'll wheelie in a parking lot, you won't see me do it at 70 mph on a freeway.

Probably athiests - hey, if you've got nothing to live for... might as well live as much as you can while you can right?

Wow. What has that got to do with ANYTHING. Some believe truly LIVING takes taking chances. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The same reason one bungie jumps (guilty) sky dives (guilty) or climbs mountains (guilty guilty..oh and guilty)or takes the twisties at full tilt, (um..also guilty) its an adrenaline rush. Most of us do it in different ways..I'm 45, and while I'll wheelie in a parking lot, you won't see me do it at 70 mph on a freeway.

All of those are safe, if done properly. Except bungie IS NOT.

I climbed, parachuted, and performed scuba diving in the military. Out of everything, what wasn't covered (in policy and with insurance) was bungie jumping. Because it can't be controlled safely, ropes are not checked and are overused, etc. I've seen someone die from it, in person, in Myrtle Beach, unfortunately. On another occasion, I saw someone bungie over the harbor in Amsterdam and plunge in to the water.

I think a key thing, in my mind, is the ability to take controllable risks. Having checkpoints, backstops--if you will--to know how safe you are. Gear on a bike just makes sense. Those who don't wear it, and are not just kids on dirt bikes who are naive, are throwing caution to the wind, IMO. I know I even feel safer riding all geared up. Of course, nothing will protect you from a BIG mistake on the road.

Back