Another dumb oil question.....Shell Rotella T6

I've been using Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic in my FZ1 for five years with no issues. It's time for a spring oil change so I dropped by the local Walmart and picked up the familiar blue gallon jug of T6 for the usual price of $21.36/gallon. Upon inspection in my garage I see the designation of 'Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil' on the label. Whoa! I don't remember seeing that on previous packages. The back label still has the JASO MA designation. But have they changed this product in some way? I went online to Shell's site and they talk effusively about how T6 is the perfect Diesel engine oil for tractor/trailer operation, as well as off road construction equipment. It seems there is only one T6 formulation, but just wondering if this is now ok to use in an FZ1

What do the technical folks say, because I'm confused.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Rotella has always been a diesel/heavy duty engine oil but was tested and certified to be JASO-MA compliant. I actually remember reading something recently that Shell is planning to (or has already) certify it for the newest JASO-MA 2 spec as well.

Last edited:
It's always been considered that even if the label didn't stress that before. Being in the trucking industry I know this. What is on the back label is the important part. Don't sweat it, I know lots of guys that use it in their bikes without issue.

OK, thanks. I didn't realize it was mainly designed and sold for diesel engines, I just never remember it saying that on the label before. As long as it is JASO MA certified we are good to go.

Back