962 Miles in the Spring?

Sactown2008

Anyone done 80 across Nevada or 93 then 15 to Anaconda, Montana?

The wife (who has never been on the FZ1 for more than 30 minutes) asked if we could take the Yamaha from Sacramento to Montana next Spring to a friend's wedding.

962 miles form Sacramento to this town. I see Yamaha sells an accessory trunk with a back rest. I'd have to buy soft saddle bags (plus my tank bag). I am 6'1" 210 lbs and she is 5'6" at 135 lbs. How much can these bikes hold?

What do you think? Three days there, a rest day, the wedding, a rest day, then 3-4 days home? I was even thinking of heading west to see a buddy in Spokane, then home to Sacramento.

Two week trip? A friend has a 2011 FJR1300. I am tempted to ask him to trade for two weeks.

Ride MIGHT be this September

Anyone ever been on an FJR1300?

A good friend has one with a top case/back rest. I might ask him to trade for nine days to do this 1924 miles to Anaconda, MT and back with the wife.

Anyone ever been on an FJR1300?

A good friend has one with a top case/back rest. I might ask him to trade for nine days to do this 1924 miles to Anaconda, MT and back with the wife.

Well I've test ridden the FJR a few times and it would be more comfortable for that sort of trip for sure.

Send OneSizeFitsAll a PM, he owned an FJR1300 for years and put something like 90,000 miles on it. He can tell you all you need to know about it.

I've ridden with him and it's no slouch with a guy like him behind the bars :nana::nana::nana:

I owned a 2003 FJR....a bike perfectly suited to the type of trip you are contemplating. Fantastic power, shaft drive, good seat for two passengers, great set of hardbags. I sold it because I now mostly go out for 3-4 hours and didn't need/want all the fairing and bags. Frankly, I'd never do a trip you are thinking about on an FZ1 with a passenger aboard......it will not be pleasant. Your wife will not be amused as the miles roll by, there just isn't good legroom for the wifey.

The GVWR on an FZ1 is 904 lbs (F=320 lbs, R=584 lbs), total fully fueled bike is something like 500 lbs + you and your wife total up to 845 lbs, which leaves 59 lbs for your riding gear, clothes, extra saddle bags, etc. You will be way over the limit, particularly in the rear.

Last edited:
My same thoughts.

I owned a 2003 FJR....a bike perfectly suited to the type of trip you are contemplating. Your wife will not be amused as the miles roll by, there just isn't good legroom for the wifey.

The GVWR on an FZ1 is 904 lbs (F=320 lbs, R=584 lbs), total fully fueled bike is something like 500 lbs + you and your wife total up to 845 lbs, which leaves 59 lbs for your riding gear, clothes, extra saddle bags, etc. You will be way over the limit, particularly in the rear.

I will relay this information to her. I came in to a small inheritance from Mom. Might have to find an used FJR1300 on CycleTrader.com as my "Long-Trip" bike.

Thank your for the GREAT information.

I used to ride cupcake with my husband, but we have a BMW1150 RT. I would bet money she won't be very comfortable on the back of an FZ1.. If your friend will let ya borrow that FJR, do it! You'll be more comfortable too.

Packing for a 2 week trip on a bike is also challenging.....with limited space, it can get tricky! Let me know if I can help her in that area ;)

Last edited:
I've done a couple trips now around 1,000 miles on the Fz1. Comfortable it is not. Can get in about 300 comfortable miles up to over 400 not as comfortable miles in a day. I've never had a pillion but have loaded up with about 50 pounds of gear (tent, etc) and would say at my weight, 240, the suspension does ok.

I believe the max load is 396lbs for my year, there was a different spring on the Gen 2 rear shock the first couple of years, that I believe was stiffer.

I've test ridden the FJR1300 and would say if you could afford it, get it. That bike is so smooth and on my last trip through the CO mountains I was dreaming of how much more comfortable I would have been on an FJR, also how much fun it would be with a pillion. I think you're mind is in the right direction with the FJR

I had a 2006 FJR1300 and really liked it, I wish I still had it. The adjustable windscreen and the weight of the bike on the road makes it really nice to ride. I prefer the shaft drive because you don't have to do chain maintenance. The transmission is only a 5 speed, that is about the only thing I can think of that I did not like. The longest ride I had on it was about 4 hours and did not have any comfort issues. I would not suggest taking the FZ1 for that long of a trip going two up. The Kawasaki Concours (2008 and up) I would also suggest you take a look at if you are serious about doing a lot of longer trips.

It doesnt sound like she has much seat time. It doesnt matter what bike you have, that long a trip for a noob passenger would be ill advised.

Even though she isnt exactly tall, consider getting a custom saddle.

I went down to Corbin and had them custom make me a pair that are 2" taller for me and my passenger. Im 6' and it gets me more legroom. My passengers also gets more legroom. And if you have the passengers made a bit taller than yours, the passenger can see over you, staying more in tune with the ride.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3747-fz-seat-001.jpg

Last edited:
I did 700 miles one weekend with some friends on back road highways. It was a blast. 900 miles stretched out should be fine. I did all this on a 2008 R6

The biggest factor in how far one can ride in a day is the rider. Sactown, you need seat time to get used to hours and hours in the saddle. :) Nothing ruins a ride like being miserable and sore

Back