962 Miles in the Spring?

I did a 2.5k mile trip on the Fz1 with my wife as passenger, we are both tall but slim. We had gear for 10 days and I guess overloaded the bike a bit. However no problem at all the bike rode still fine and we even passed a lot of other riders on the more twisty roads ;). That said we made lots and lots of stops because the passenger seat is very bad and my wife 5'11. So calculate for the extra breaks.

I have a FJR1300 which a friend bought for our spring tour (3k miles). It is a very nice bike but has not enough ground clearance for me. I scrapped the pegs in every curve when loaded with a passenger and even the center stand scraped very fast. Hanging off is not really an option with the seating position and a passenger.
It is much more comfortable to ride but not a sport tourer, just a tourer.

If you want an FJR drop me a PM I am selling this one (blue, 28k miles, 2005 and has ABS).

Bmw 1200 rt?

Just back from 406 mile weekend from Sacramento to Santa Cruz. Wife drove the truck and camping gear. I am whipped. I had the mono shock too stiff riding home.
You r all right. I need many more 300 mile days to try Montana and back. At camping trip a friend said, "You two come borrow my 1200 RT for the weekend. If you like it, take it to Montana."

One day ride around Tahoe then home.

Now there is a bike you would like to pile the miles on-go ride it!

A&S takes trade in's :sinister:

Steve is dropping it at A&S this week for some annual maintenance. He said, "come take it the following weekend."

We might do Shingle Springs to Tahoe for lunch (on Hwy 50), then home on Hwy 80 in "one" day, to see how our funky backs hold up for 283 miles.

Thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:
Here's another thought. Plan for stops in towns with hot springs if at all possible. When I just did my trip through Colorado I would try to get to my campsite and all set up by 6, then go eat and in 2 of the 3 places they had hot springs to soak in. Works miracles on a 'funky back'.

Now I want a sport tourer! Stop tempting me, you guys!

700 miles is about all I can stand on the 919 for a day but just imagine how fast and easy it would be on an ST bike! Oh baby

The more turns you take, the better you feel. Movement on the bike is best.

May I suggest that you take hwy 50 to Pollock, then down to Morman Immigrant and take 88.

Saw an 06 for $10k in the Bay Area.

Now I want a sport tourer! Stop tempting me, you guys!

700 miles is about all I can stand on the 919 for a day but just imagine how fast and easy it would be on an ST bike! Oh baby

Could not believe how much "lighter" the BMW weighs than the three japanese Sport Tourers. Incredible.

That sounds like a fun road.

The more turns you take, the better you feel. Movement on the bike is best.

May I suggest that you take hwy 50 to Pollock, then down to Morman Immigrant and take 88.

Did something similar on 6/7/13. We rode Sac to Sutter Creek to 89 to Monitor Pass to 395(a Sauna) to Kingsbury Grade to Zepher Cove. 219 mile day on a separated right AC joint. ER in Tahoe on Saturday, then Hwy 50 home on Sunday.

I really like the ST1100 and I think they represent good value for money. Nice motor, nice comforts and a huge fuel tank. I'm seriously considering looking for one over the winter.

I can't afford to drop $10,000 on a bike I won't use on an every day basis. The 919 is wonderful for commuting, twisty roads and light solo touring but not for two-up and especially not for long tours in inclement weather. The lack of wind takes its toll when the weather goes sour. Rain, snow and hail is no big deal when you're just commuting but it really gets tiring hour after hour on tour. Bleh!

Last edited:
Steve bought a new Honda ST1100 the day before the Honda ST1200 was announced

I really like the ST1100 and I think they represent good value for money. Nice motor, nice comforts and a huge fuel tank. I'm seriously considering looking for one over the winter.

When he bought his used BMW R1200ST he owned a Honda ST1100. Steve is 5" 9" and maybe 170 at 65 years old. He said he had to shop "lightest." Steve added, "If you go with a new Concours, you might as well buy a Goldwing. The Kawasaki is HUGE. WOW. 200 lbs more than my 2008 FZ1. LMBO!

Last edited:
The FJR1300 is very comfortable, seems heavy when stopped but once it's moving actually handles very well and feels like it loses weight.

I've ridden 80/i15 and up in Montana. I rode it from Seattle, down through yellowstone, to Vegas on my R1, but before I left I purchased and installed a Throttlemeister bar end/throttle lock for it. Made a world of difference. My buddy was with me on his FJR1300 and we did a total of 3600 miles in 5 days with him trading out with me for a total of about 50 miles. The throttle lock helped wonders and enabled me to stretch out and making it a ton more comfortable to lay down that many miles on a sport bike. I would suggest getting on for the FZ if you plan on taking it. I for one prefer to ride my one bikes, just in case something does go wrong.

The FJ will go quite a bit further per tank of fuel, and make hauling your stuff easier unless you have bags already.

Either way, those roads are fun well at least as fun as highway riding can be.

Just my opinion, but I would say get a Throttlemeister and roll your own bike.

This is a good time to tell the wife that you need a new shock and passenger foot peg extentions to make the bike better for her. However, if she really wants to ride there, rent a Gold Wing.

Have you considered haveing her get there (or most of the way) by another means while you ride? She can take her gear with her.

There were times when I "burned out" my wife with an afternoon ride that lasted all day.

ThrottleMeister

The FJR1300 is very comfortable, seems heavy when stopped but once it's moving actually handles very well and feels like it loses weight.

I've ridden 80/i15 and up in Montana. I rode it from Seattle, down through yellowstone, to Vegas on my R1, but before I left I purchased and installed a Throttlemeister bar end/throttle lock for it.

Just my opinion, but I would say get a Throttlemeister and roll your own bike.

Looked at their Website. Wow. Thanks. A great looking device to "save the right hand."

I will know what BOTH our backs can handle when I borrow the R1200RT BMW for a trip to Tahoe and back in one day on Hwy 50 then 80.

Thanks for all the advice. A used FJR1300 looks like a good investment if she likes this sort of thing.

I must tell you all she DID NOT LIKE lane splitting Sunday at 2pm in 15mph traffic from Capitola to Santa Cruz. Traffic was stopped or 10mph.

On Monday I was not going to waste my clutch going up hill (0-15mph) on Hwy 580 from Livermore to Tracy, so I lane split right by the wife and her brother in my F150. Saved serious time on that ride home.

Lane splitting almost makes California politics bearable.

It's only just the best thing ever

Don't forget California taxes to pay for the politics.

I look for opportunities to move there all the time, either Orange County or San Diego, maybe up north in the San Jose area.

As for splitting I don't think they intended it to be done at 80+ mph but that is fun as hell. It really seems the same as long as you are only 5-10 mph faster than the cars.

Back