2nd gear full throttle falls flat on its face.

On my 2014 FZ1 when I am in 2nd gear between 4700 and 5200 rpm Wide open throttle, the motor falls flat and will not accelerate at all. If I roll on the throttle smoothly the motor will swing to redline with no problem. The issue ONLY happens in 2nd gear. A little dangerous when you need to get on it and out of the way of traffic and the FZ1 falls flat and will not accelerate at all. I need some feedback if anybody has had this problem, please.

Called the dealer yesterday and this is what he said. He thinks that when the FZ is 2nd gear that the Ecu is still in 1st gear mapping and the Ecu will have to be reflashed.

Warrior , ive never heard of this before and ive never heard of a shop that will diagnose a bike over the phone with no codes !!
Bring that bike back Good luck

From my experience, not all dealers will be able to do it, but some can. Some will need to send it to a Yamaha head office to get done. I've never had to send mine in, but I was talking to them about re-flashing mine for me, they said they could only reflash it to stock.

From my experience, not all dealers will be able to do it, but some can. Some will need to send it to a Yamaha head office to get done. I've never had to send mine in, but I was talking to them about re-flashing mine for me, they said they could only reflash it to stock.

That is correct Dicko. ECU can only be reflashed to stock settings because of DOT Regs.

Last edited:
I'm on an MT09 these days and they're all getting their ECUs reflashed by Yamaha dealers. At least two dealers in Melbourne are doing it. Just a matter of having the right cable and software.

On my 2014 FZ1 when I am in 2nd gear between 4700 and 5200 rpm Wide open throttle, the motor falls flat and will not accelerate at all. If I roll on the throttle smoothly the motor will swing to redline with no problem. The issue ONLY happens in 2nd gear. A little dangerous when you need to get on it and out of the way of traffic and the FZ1 falls flat and will not accelerate at all. I need some feedback if anybody has had this problem, please.

R1forums.com: quote: :"I ve experianced small lag. I never paid it any mind. I am just noe slapping a BMC filter, Smog Block Off's, PC-3 and A&R Baffle kit. Guess it's time to hit the dealership to see if my ecu is faulty.

The ECU issue is not a "small lag". It is a very reproducible issue, if you have the bad ECU. The lag will last about 2 - 4 seconds, with half of that being ZERO throttle response. However, as others have stated, you could ride for a long time and not even know it's there, but when you do find it (especially, if it's in traffic), it's not fun.

A very simple test, ride in 2nd gear at 5,500 rpms for a few seconds and then hit the throttle. If the 'lag' is there, you'll know it. I was the 2nd owner of my 07 and it had not been replaced. I took it to my local dealer. They weren't aware of the issue or that Yamaha was doing anything about it, but with the help of the R1 forum lag thread (07 R1 Glitches - Throttle lag : Yamaha R1 Forum) and a test drive by one of their techs (describing the above), they made the call to ."

Back