2014 BMW S 1000 R Preview

So you think that an Ivanized ECU will get an additional 20-ish horsepower and 5-7 lb*ft torque? Anybody got a dynochart to prove this?

Gotta wonder where you guys spend your time on the Fz1 forums if you haven't read about / realized that Yamaha really really corked up the Gen II in its stock form???
Combine an exhaust with 2 cats and an overly short header (in order to package the 2 cats) with power limiting secondary throttle butterfly parameters, with deceleration fuel cut, with lower gear ignition based power restrictions with overall POOR fueling and you have a castrated machine. It really is shocking how well the GenII responds to the proper mods. Basically the full Yosh system, Ivan's ecu flash, PCV with his map, airbox mod and uprated filter gives you huge power gains as well as smoooth, linear power delivery. Its actually more like 25hp over stock at 7500rpm. Here's chart with the blue being his current "full package" offering including the ECU flash. Notice the "top end biased" gen II mill is now actually making 100hp at 7k rpm
In all likelihood that's a good bit more than what the stock Tuono is doing. Compare Ivan's chart with the previous shown Tuono one for instance . . . .

I am lucky enough to have neighbor with the TV4 with an Akra exhaust and uprated race ECU, not to mention BST carbon fiber wheels. The machine is an absolute beast to ride. On back to back rides it feels more brutally powerful than my GenII (haven't upgrade to Ivan's ECU flash yet) with wonderful sportbike like handling but the FZ isn't far off and the power delivery is much, much smoother. Ivan's flash will take the FZ to another level and particularly with the removal of the gear based power restrictions, the perception of power should be pretty similar. . .

BTW I have about $7.5K total (including purchase price) into my FZ (see my signature) and it actually would have cost a bit less with the now available ECU flash since I wouldn't have needed the ignition module, FCE or the smaller butterflies. Its a pretty sweet machine for the $. Fun to build too . . .

Attachments

• stk ecu vs. ivans.gif
    stk ecu vs. ivans.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I don't think any dyno chart on the planet can show you what bike is "the best." Plain and simply there isn't one. It comes down to what is the best bike for you at this point in your life for what you want to do with it.

All I know is every motorcycle I have ever ridden has put a smile on my face.

Sounds like BMW nailed it ! Just wish it had some wind protection :(
Maybe they will follow it with a version with a windscreen. Like Yamaha with the the FZ1s And N .

How cool is this bike? It sounds pretty loud for a stock exhaust too.

I assume this will be priced around the Aprilia Tuono's price range, so it won't be cheap but it looks to be a hell of a good bike.

I was at the dealer on Thursday and they were not sure of the price, they were assuming it would be the same as the S1000RR or maybe a little less. They assume they will find out early in the spring and get the bikes for the summer riding season. OTD they were saying it would be around $20k after all fees, tax, title, etc.

I was at the dealer on Thursday and they were not sure of the price, they were assuming it would be the same as the S1000RR or maybe a little less. They assume they will find out early in the spring and get the bikes for the summer riding season. OTD they were saying it would be around $20k after all fees, tax, title, etc.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong spot. But, it looks like the pricing has been announced. If so, I am a tad embarrassed for that dealer!

$15,500 with abs/traction control, $13,900 without. --MW

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...html&notrack=1

The link jumped to BMW UK and was Page Not Found.

Wow, this link wasn't like this when I posted it. And, at that time, it did not point to a uk site. I wish I had a screenshot.... Did anyone else see this before it was taken down, or am I crazy?!

$15,500 British pounds would be over $25k US, so that pricing doesn't quite make sense either. --MW

BMW Motorrad : Motorräder : Urban : BMW S 1000 R: Übersicht

Here is the USA page for the S1000R. I don't see any mention of MSRP but there is a broken link for easy financing for those of us too poor to buy outright :)

The link I posted led to the US site at the time I posted it. The prefix is the same as what you linked (bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...). It only leads to the UK site now for some unknown reason. It seems like broken links are a bit common over there...

I agree that if the pricing was officially released the magazines would publish it, it would be on the BMW Motorrad site now, dealers would know, etc. But I know what I saw! Lol! --MW

Back