2014 BMW S 1000 R Preview

And no one complains about the top end of an FZ1, it's the bottom end and midrange that need improving.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Well said indeed !

but a stock s1000rr makes 65 ftlbs @ 4500 rpm and peaks at 79-80 ftlbs ............. did the standard really need 7ftlb under 7500 rpm at the cost of losing 33hp and a 2000rpm lower redline ???

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only guy on this forum that wants to be scared for my life when I whack the throttle open on a bike :woot::woot::woot::D:D:D

Fear is such a wonderful feeling when accelerating :stunta]:

Sure useable torque is nice , ........... but so is mind bending poop your pants horse power !

No reason a bike cant have BOTH !

I'd trade BMW back that extra 7 ft lbs of torque in a second , for the 33hp they took from the 1000rr engine.

That's what sportbikes are for. Plus you can go faster with a fairing and a windscreen ;)

Dustin, my whole point is I want a sportbike that just happens to be comfortable or a standard that just happens to have sportbike power :)

I'm 43 with a circulation problem with my left arm. Just can't take the sportbike riding position anymore.

I agree with the fairing statement. I'll take my standard with a little wind protection thank you. I'd never buy a naked FZ1 or any standard without some protection.

That's what sportbikes are for. Plus you can go faster with a fairing and a windscreen ;)

Dustin, my whole point is I want a sportbike that just happens to be comfortable or a standard that just happens to have sportbike power :)

I'm 43 with a circulation problem with my left arm. Just can't take the sportbike riding position anymore.

I agree with the fairing statement. I'll take my standard with a little wind protection ,thank you. I'd never buy a naked FZ1 or any standard without some protection.

Feel like I'm the only one that grew up riding sportbikes and still wants that performance with a more comfortable riding position ?

Apparently all standards have to be de-tuned for low-mid range, gain 50lbs or more and have restrictions in the ECU.

The Tuono looks close to what I'd like but I'm waiting ...............um hoping. The Japanese FINALLY build a full power, light weight standard.

Last edited:
I like performance too mate but after riding my FZ1N for over 2 years, I can 100% see why they are improving the bottom and midrange over outright top end power.

It really is unnecessary for a naked bike to be able to do 300 kph, it's hard enough hanging on over 200 kph.

If they added a 3/4 fairing like the FZ1S then it would make more sense.

I like performance too mate but after riding my FZ1N for over 2 years, I can 100% see why they are improving the bottom and midrange over outright top end power.

It really is unnecessary for a naked bike to be able to do 300 kph, it's hard enough hanging on over 200 kph.

If they added a 3/4 fairing like the FZ1S then it would make more sense.

I totally agree the FZ1 is weak in the low, mid and Hell no a naked would not be fun at speed. :D

Doubt I'd enjoy a bike without a windscreen at speed, hell my bike sucked at speed until I went to the magical racing screen.

Feel like I'm the only one that grew up riding sportbikes and still wants that performance with a more comfortable riding position ?

Same here. I wanted a sportbike feel but not the stance. At 63 I still like some acceleration but stop at 120mph or so ;-). I'm more into the quick handling and lower weight than that of a cruiser.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only guy on this forum that wants to be scared for my life when I whack the throttle open on a bike :woot::woot::woot::D:D:D

Sure useable torque is nice , ........... but so is mind bending poop your pants horse power !

I'd trade BMW back that extra 7 ft lbs of torque in a second , for the 33hp they took from the 1000rr engine.

Even to this day, with the electronic safety net the Tuono is a frightening bike. It is brutal fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Then just buy the RR! I really do not understand you, form what you are writing I seriously doubt you rode the bike. The S1000RR is a total beast, I wrote the one of my best friend in the Alps and in Germany and the power that bikes offers above 11k is freaking high. The bike is made to do 300 km/h and so it should be electronically stopping at 298 km/h it's only the speedometer which stops while the GPS still kept rising.

The power is only needed for high speed riding something you will never do outside of Germany or on a very long straight on the track. Good luck trying this on the US roads.

BMW knows what real world conditions are and places their naked bike where all the other new power naked bikes are. Personally I think that they are all following to much this nonsense demand of higher hp. Almost all riders I see can not even use half of the available power they keep it in the save low (<9k on the Fz1) rpm range because they can not handle more. Still everyone wants to have more hp. A concept like the speed triple the street triple or the new Fz9 is more than what most people can handle on the road.

High HP are only needed at speeds well in excess of 150 mph and that you can not do in most countries and even more important on almost no road anyway. Real world riding means usually 80 mph curvy road and that where the bike must have power and torque and best without being in 1st or 2nd gear. At this speed you do not need even 100 hp and still be plenty fast.

Being scarred when accelerating is not a smart idea. Fear takes away a lot of the needed concentration when riding a bike and whenever you feel scarred it's time to slow down and recalibrate your riding. Otherwise you are a thread to yourself and more important to all others on your path as well.

Then just buy the RR! I really do not understand you, form what you are writing I seriously doubt you rode the bike. The S1000RR is a total beast, I wrote the one of my best friend in the Alps and in Germany and the power that bikes offers above 11k is freaking high. The bike is made to do 300 km/h and so it should be electronically stopping at 298 km/h it's only the speedometer which stops while the GPS still kept rising.

The power is only needed for high speed riding something you will never do outside of Germany or on a very long straight on the track. Good luck trying this on the US roads.

BMW knows what real world conditions are and places their naked bike where all the other new power naked bikes are. Personally I think that they are all following to much this nonsense demand of higher hp. Almost all riders I see can not even use half of the available power they keep it in the save low (<9k on the Fz1) rpm range because they can not handle more. Still everyone wants to have more hp. A concept like the speed triple the street triple or the new Fz9 is more than what most people can handle on the road.

High HP are only needed at speeds well in excess of 150 mph and that you can not do in most countries and even more important on almost no road anyway. Real world riding means usually 80 mph curvy road and that where the bike must have power and torque and best without being in 1st or 2nd gear. At this speed you do not need even 100 hp and still be plenty fast.

Being scarred when accelerating is not a smart idea. Fear takes away a lot of the needed concentration when riding a bike and whenever you feel scarred it's time to slow down and recalibrate your riding. Otherwise you are a thread to yourself and more important to all others on your path as well.

]"Then just buy the RR! I really do not understand you, form what you are writing I seriously doubt you rode the bike."

ALREADY STATED I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY LEFT ARM AND CANT TAKE THE RIDING POSITION.

" I seriously doubt you rode the bike. The S1000RR is a total beast, "

I HAVE NOT RIDDEN AN RR, BUT I HAVE SPENT TIME ON A ZX10, HAYABUSA AND A 226HP GSXR 1502CC 8.63@168MPH 1/4 MILE :)

"High HP are only needed at speeds well in excess of 150 mph "

NONSENSE !!!! HIGH HP IS ALSO DIRECTLY TIED TO ACCELERATION AND THE FUN FACTOR. ( for me ) I DON'T NEED OR WANT TO GO OVER 150MPH OFTEN................ BUT I'D LIKE BRUTAL ACCELERATION WHEN I FEEL THE NEED.

"Being scarred when accelerating is not a smart idea. Fear takes away a lot of the needed concentration when riding a bike and whenever you feel scarred it's time to slow down and recalibrate your riding."

FEAR IS ONE THING PANIC ANOTHER . I HAVEN'T FELT PANIC SINCE RIDING THE 220HP GSXR 1502. GUESS WHAT I MEAN IS YOU CAN HAVE A HEALTHY FEAR, MORE LIKE RESPECT BUT NOT BE PANICKING.

HEAR WHAT YOUR SAYING AND AGREE FOR THE MOST PART. THING IS I CAN RIDE ALL DAY ENJOYING THE TWISTY STUFF NEVER USING MORE THAN 70% OF A HIGH POWERED BIKES THROTTLE......... THEN RIP THAT SUCKER FOR A COUPLE GEARS ON A STRAIGHT OR NICE SECTION OF DESOLATE ROAD.

I'VE BEEN RIDING 29 YEARS AND ITS BEEN 11 YEARS SINCE I MANAGED TO END UP IN THE DIRT. COURTESY OF A BILLION YEAR OLD WOMAN. SHE APPARENTLY LIKED MY SIDE OF THE ROAD MORE THEN HER'S COMING AROUND A BLIND CORNER.
\
MY POINT BEING I PICK AND CHOOSE WHERE TO PUSH THE SPEED AND ACCELERATION LIMITS VERY CAREFULLY .

SEEN WAY MORE GUYS LOSE IT OVER THE YEARS TRYING TO BE VALENTINO ROSSI IN THE CORNERS THEN I'VE SEEN HURT OR WORSE RIPPING IT IN A STRAIGHT LINE :)

I'M SURE I WAS MORE OF A HAZARD TO MYSELF AND OTHERS WHEN I WAS 20 RIDING A 40hp HAWK GT TRYING TO BE WAYNE RANIEY IN THE CORNERS THAN I WOULD BE NOW RIDDING A 300HP TURBOCHARGED ROCKET BIKE.

please excuse the caps, I'm not yelling just trying to separate the quotes from my comments .

Just go to a dealer and take a test ride. Most, it not all dealers should have 2014's in stock.

Remember, if you do take one for a test ride, you'll buy one. Zero down and 3.9%!

I'm really just spouting off at the mouth about my " idea " of the perfect bike.
Truth is for now the FZ1 hits enough of the right buttons to keep me happy. I'll do the Ivan flash over the winter and take her a step closer to what I'm looking for.
Doubt the Tuono or BMW will have enough wind protection for me, even my FZ1 did not until I went with the Magical racing screen.

My arm issue is Thoracic outlet syndrome, which effects my left arm, shoulder and neck. Getting my helmet out of the wind at speed is a must for me.

So you think that an Ivanized ECU will get an additional 20-ish horsepower and 5-7 lb*ft torque? Anybody got a dynochart to prove this?
Yes he does have dyno charts on his site. I have owned the bike since it was a stock engine even down to the stock air filter. I have the complete Ivans set up with full yosh exhaust and it is a new beast no where close to the same. To all you guys doubting it who have never ridden one shame on you. You hating just to hate?? I just made a comment on the hp Dyno of the other nakeds(I was not impressed they killed the HP) with what I have done to my FZ1 plus purchase price for used bike I still have thousands of dollars for improvements before I get to BMW area.

Last edited:
I'm really just spouting off at the mouth about my " idea " of the perfect bike.
Truth is for now the FZ1 hits enough of the right buttons to keep me happy. I'll do the Ivan flash over the winter and take her a step closer to what I'm looking for.
Doubt the Tuono or BMW will have enough wind protection for me, even my FZ1 did not until I went with the Magical racing screen.

My arm issue is Thoracic outlet syndrome, which effects my left arm, shoulder and neck. Getting my helmet out of the wind at speed is a must for me.

Even with the "touring" windscreen the T doesn't have the wind protection off the FZ. While upright, it is an agressive position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ever been to Nevada? Plenty of wide open spaces where you can take it to the limit and hold it there if your gonads are big enough.

Been over 150 many times on my FJR and 160 on the FZ1 without any worries.

That said I am having more fun on my 114hp KTM v twin while riding the best twisty roads of Northern Ca than any other bike I have owned.

Something about the V twin growl from the airbox that you just can't get from an in line 4.

Back