2012 Fz1 starting issue,fuel tank pressurization, intermittent idle stumble

Hey guys,
New to the forum,new to the Fz1.
Picked up a left over 2012 with 38miles on it.
Just about to roll over 600miles and I'm having a few problems.
Bike is stock other than a two brothers slipon and the removal of the front fairing.
Takes multiple cycles of the start button to get the bike to stay running. first few times is just about starts but stalls almost immediately.
Once it does fire up it will either run fine or with a low chuggy idle. I also noticed that when I stop to refuel I release quite a bit of pressure trapped in the tank. Possibly these two things are related? clogged vent tube or a pinched line?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Danny, and sorry your having issues. The first thing I'd do is to raise the tank and check for the fuel line being kinked. It's a known issue if you've raised the tank previously and weren't careful putting it back down. If that doesn't do it, I'd bring it back to where you bought it and let them fix the issue. Is there any kind of warranty that they gave you? Also, where in Jersey?

Welcome Danny, and sorry your having issues. The first thing I'd do is to raise the tank and check for the fuel line being kinked. It's a known issue if you've raised the tank previously and weren't careful putting it back down. If that doesn't do it, I'd bring it back to where you bought it and let them fix the issue. Is there any kind of warranty that they gave you? Also, where in Jersey?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I had some 30 day thing through the dealer and the 2 year Yamaha warranty.
I did have the tank tipped up a week of so ago when I tucked the excess wires. I was pretty darn careful when setting it back down,but ill give it another look.
I'm located in North Jersey,Sussex county. Right in the corner where PA,NJ and NY come together.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I had some 30 day thing through the dealer and the 2 year Yamaha warranty.
I did have the tank tipped up a week of so ago when I tucked the excess wires. I was pretty darn careful when setting it back down,but ill give it another look.
I'm located in North Jersey,Sussex county. Right in the corner where PA,NJ and NY come together.

Oh awesome. We ride through there when we go up to Hawk's Nest near Port Jervis. Some nice roads out there!

How about that hiss I get when I open the tank? Wouldn't that mean the tank is not venting? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these tanks vent through the cap?

My tank hisses when I open it, not unusual. It will vent through the cap, but only after the pressure difference exceeds the valve pressure.

I'd check your fuel lines for kinks first.

My tank hisses when I open it, not unusual. It will vent through the cap, but only after the pressure difference exceeds the valve pressure.

I'd check your fuel lines for kinks first.

Gotcha..
Just seemed like a bit more pressure than I would have expected. I'll be lifting the tank to check things out after work today.

Alright ..
Tipped the tank up today and almost immediately heard a very loud, long hiss. Turns out I did kink the two small vent tubes that run down the inside of the frame to the right rearset. Tank hiss is solved as well as the multiple start attempts. I do still have a lopey idle at times. Tach bounces around slightly a couple to a few hundred rpms at times. I have it set at about 1200.
Did my first oil change today a little past 600miles. I've been running rotella in my bikes for years so after a little reading I settled on rotella t6 and a bosch filter. Bike took just shy of 3.5qts including some used priming the filter. As per what I've read on here I filled it just past the top of the window leaving a tiny bubble that periodically appears in the top of the sight glass lol. Over all I feel that the bike is smoother through the rpms and shifts cleaner. What I'm not liking is that it seems a bit noisier. seem to be able to hear the valve train more now, more of a chatter. anyone else experienced this or am I just not used to this bike and all its odd noises yet?

Alright ..
Tipped the tank up today and almost immediately heard a very loud, long hiss. Turns out I did kink the two small vent tubes that run down the inside of the frame to the right rearset. Tank hiss is solved as well as the multiple start attempts. I do still have a lopey idle at times. Tach bounces around slightly a couple to a few hundred rpms at times. I have it set at about 1200.
Did my first oil change today a little past 600miles. I've been running rotella in my bikes for years so after a little reading I settled on rotella t6 and a bosch filter. Bike took just shy of 3.5qts including some used priming the filter. As per what I've read on here I filled it just past the top of the window leaving a tiny bubble that periodically appears in the top of the sight glass lol. Over all I feel that the bike is smoother through the rpms and shifts cleaner. What I'm not liking is that it seems a bit noisier. seem to be able to hear the valve train more now, more of a chatter. anyone else experienced this or am I just not used to this bike and all its odd noises yet?

Well, I'm glad you figured out the issue with the hard starting. As for the odd noises, the FZ1 isn't the quietest bike on the street. They are a bit noisy so I wouldn't start worrying about it. I'd raise your idle up to about 1300 rpms. It could clear up some of that lopey idle. My bike has a tick over 7,500 miles and it still has a lopey idle at times which seems to level out after I ride a while at operating temps. If your still bothered by it you could always try synching your throttle bodies. Don't worry so much about all the noise. Go out and enjoy the bike. They are pretty bullet proof to say the least. It's one of the characteristics that I love about these bikes. Change your oil every 3k and maintain your fluids, chain, sprockets, etc, and you'll be amazed at just how far the FZ1 will go.

Back