1987 yz125

How close are your mods to mine? the programer sucks. Two of the adjusters are down all the way and its still rich. Give me a day and I will gladly put up a pic of it for you.

Yeah I would be interested to know. My bike is perhaps a bit smoother with it in, set as it is at the moment, but I know that compared to the PC3/5 I'm never going to get the max out of the FI.

NightTrain

0403131556.jpg
0403131554.jpg

Here you go. I have not touched it since it came off Ryans dyno. please let me know what you think.

sorry so long for update

I finished the bike back in June around the time dad got sick so it was put away and forgot about. We got it out and fired it up today. She runs pretty good but breaks up at wot. I was planning on some jet work when it was finished.
It took a little of my time and some help from friends the little yz came in at around $450.

YZ

Hey Stretch nice to see an old 2 stroke being "recycled". I used to race YZs and they were reliable and reasonably powerful stock. The suspension on the 88 isn't very good but it all depends on what you want to do. If it's just easy woods riding it should be ok. You might want to powder coat the frame we do that with our team bikes it lasts and isn't too expensive if you find the right shop. Motor work on the 125 is super easy and if it ends up needing a new cylinder send it off to have it bored out to a 144cc and replated. Makes nice power as a 144. As for the tank and plastics for less than $200 you can get custom graphics contact Chris at 139 designs he does all our team graphics work great guy. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
looks good man, you have any plans to re-furbish that gas tank? It is such a bummer most paint will not stick well tot he old plastic.

Thanks. Thats the biggest problem, every piece of plastic was painted so I dont want to paint and have it look the way it does now after a few rides. I am also pretty rusty in the dirt so it may get beat up some so I dont want to put alot of money or time. I have been looking into restoring plastic for the quads. If the bike makes it thru the summer I may try to do something with the bike as a first try. most of the plastic under the paint is in great shapee. I dont like that every thing else was redone but the plastics, it bugs me every time i look at it.lol.

Hey Stretch nice to see an old 2 stroke being "recycled". I used to race YZs and they were reliable and reasonably powerful stock. The suspension on the 88 isn't very good but it all depends on what you want to do. If it's just easy woods riding it should be ok. You might want to powder coat the frame we do that with our team bikes it lasts and isn't too expensive if you find the right shop. Motor work on the 125 is super easy and if it ends up needing a new cylinder send it off to have it bored out to a 144cc and replated. Makes nice power as a 144. As for the tank and plastics for less than $200 you can get custom graphics contact Chris at 139 designs he does all our team graphics work great guy. Good luck and enjoy!
Thank you it was fun to redo it. Its one of the last things my dad and I did together. When i got the bike the po just did a rebuild so I hope its good for awile. It has a 1mm bigger piston now. Its gona take some getting use to the way it is now, bit I think I will and get the want for more power so the 144cc may be in the future.

Back