1987 yz125

How did you catalog and keep track of all the parts so you know how to re-build it correctly?

I put the bolt from each part in a ziplock bag marked with the part name. some times i will jot down a reminder of how it goes back on the bike and put that in the bag. I also take photos of parts befor i take them off if I think it will be a pain to get back together.

0401131931.jpg
0401131930.jpg
0401131940.jpg

Painted and put the forks on.

I cleaned and polished the front rim. It has a new(used) tire and its holding air.
took apart the carb and gave it a good cleaning. It was pretty clean to start with.
I made some head stays at work. I put in new head studs. Its starting to get warm here so I am ready to ride it.
Home next to the fz1. I took that out for the first ride on sat. It was still cold but I could not take it no longer.
Thanks for looking.

Looks great Mike. You've done a fabulous job so far. Uh.....only one thing.....from the looks of it I think it's time for a new rear tire for the FZ1.:surrender: That one is only good as a drag slick!

It's been about 20 years since I rode a two-stroke 125, but I remember what fun little bikes they are. You can ride 'em all day long- just gotta' keep that clutch / throttle / gearbox moving like crazy and they move rather nicely. I like them more than the 4 strokes, I know the performance is better but to me a 2 stroke motor is, for lack of a better term, more "alive"... I love the smell of burning oil in the morning :Rockon:.

Looks great Mike. You've done a fabulous job so far. Uh.....only one thing.....from the looks of it I think it's time for a new rear tire for the FZ1.:surrender: That one is only good as a drag slick!

Its getting down there. Its hooking up good so I hope it will make it one more time to the strip. I plan to get a softer compound for the next tire.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the red yamaha letters on the swingarm. they are cheap ones I got at the hobby store. they are not the right with and look funny to me. I am close to taking them off.
what do you think?

The lettering wasn't actually a problem for me. I like it the way it is. I'd say to leave it be.

I did not even notice until I saw the question about them, and then I decided I did not like them.... if it was up to me I would just go with no letters on the swing arm at all.

Everything else is looking great!

I did not even notice until I saw the question about them, and then I decided I did not like them.... if it was up to me I would just go with no letters on the swing arm at all.

Everything else is looking great!

Thank you. I didnt notice them untill i got it out and steped back to look at the bike. It really shows if you look at the lettering on the seat.

But I just cant help myself. I bet that tire dont have 1200 miles on it.

Got Shinko? J/k. I used to love ripping a burn out once in a while, just for the hell of it. Not so much anymore but there was a time.

OT... I see you are using the Dobeck EFI controller. Mind if I ask where you have the settings? I have one (found it for 50 bucks so I threw it in) and was going to start messing with it a bit.

Got Shinko? J/k. I used to love ripping a burn out once in a while, just for the hell of it. Not so much anymore but there was a time.

OT... I see you are using the Dobeck EFI controller. Mind if I ask where you have the settings? I have one (found it for 50 bucks so I threw it in) and was going to start messing with it a bit.

How close are your mods to mine? the programer sucks. Two of the adjusters are down all the way and its still rich. Give me a day and I will gladly put up a pic of it for you.

Back