What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

Worked on the 600 till it got hot.
Got the plate mount cut off and fixed a few things to make it safe to ride over 30mph.
Got a long way to go with this bike to make it roadcourse worthy

Did my 28 mile ride in to work today on the DRZ. I run out of throttle at about 75 with no performance mods. Above 60 that thing is a wobly goblin but FUN! This things home is definitely on off-road but I really want to get it through the breakin period.

I bought a new seat for my R1 but it didnt look good on the bike. I think I will resell it.
I have decided that is too nice of a bike to not ride it more often some im really doing my homework on converting it to street legal but still keeping it for a track bike. The main reason I want to be more comfortable on the bike im going to go screamimg around the track on so I want to get some driving time.
This kind of project usually runs about 1K to completely convert but I dont want a complete convert so I am going to do it Rat Rod Style.
I am starting to buy used parts. Picked up some mirrors (Tomok Style) and a blinker switch and im going to bid on an integrated rear turn signal. This model R1 has the square back (and I thought hard about replacing that with and 07 - 08 rear end but in the end - this is the cheaper way to go.
So I need blinkers and a headlight. Then start a thread on how the Hell to wire these suckers up. Hahahahaha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Yesterday the SV got a post-trip spa session. I washed it, serviced the chain, changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, lubed various things and topped up the coolant.

The radiator has a busted bracket and a pinhole leak somewhere from the previous owner. It has started to spit coolant on my boots when riding and it gets annoying. I finally decided to order a Delkevic replacement rad for it along with a new clutch cable.

That rear tire I ordered for when I got back isn't needed just yet! Thanks to the roads Doug took me on, the tire is still pretty round and there's still maybe another 1000 miles left down the middle.

I haven't had anything to add to this because I didn't possess a non-FZ1 bike until Friday; I picked up a 2002 Ninja 250.

I'll cheat and say this as though it was today, but I actually did this over the weekend: flushed coolant, changed oil, tweaked tire pressures, lubed cables, greased various pivots, sanded and polished pipes, washed and waxed bike.

I still have a pretty big to do list. For example, I kinda want to get SS brake lines since these are oooolllddd - but I don't have those on my FZ1 yet so I'm not sure how I feel about that upgrade on the Ninja.

Rode it (Goldwing) nearly 3000 miles since last Friday. Chill'n in Durango now and will start back to Texas on Friday. First time to see Yellowstone and it's awesome.

Settled on a headlight for getting the R1 track bike street legal.
This has been the trickiest and most expensive things about converting to street legal. The reason is because you can literally spend as much money as you would like and the law is somewhat vague about having a "light" on the front of the motorcycle. It is tempting to buy one of those $50 predator type headlights that strap to the front forks. However they are not DOT approved and you always run the risk of getting caught. Not to mention that you will not be able to run at night as all the reviews say the same: Poor light output. If you try to upgrade the bulb - the plastic melts. Pretty poor choice all around.
I also started to go with some type of salvaged light. Like a portion of an actual R1 or R6 or Gixxer light but the problem I ran into was that I do not have a bracket. Both to mount to the fork (I could buy that easily) or to mount to the partial light. That is why I decided to pass. LOL I will also keep a MIG welder on my wish list. ;)
I decided to go with this:

Products

I'm going to mount it under the front fairing (instead of strapped to the front forks - these have metal brackets). That is why I'm going with the smaller 4" headlights instead of the larger lights. These are real good quality and the light output is excellent so I will have no problem passing inspection or driving at night. I don't like spending the Xtra doe but in the end - I think it's the smart move. I do NOT want to cut into the race body if I do not have to. I am thinking that I might have to when I get around to the taillight. :eyebrow:
I am very excited to get start driving the R1 and now that my double shifts at the pharmacy are coming to an end - I am going to finally be able to hit the track.

Last edited:
put my GSXR750 K1 back on the batterycharger the other day (as it has been disconnected for a few weeks since last trackday) but after two 24h charges it still comes up bad :frown:
I'll connect her up and start over to see if battery still good (I can't ride it on the street anymore as I've stopped insurance) otherwise I'm in the market to get a new battery :shame:

Bought a Delkevic replacement radiator for the SV after running the banged up one it came with for a year and a half.

Replaced the SV's battery which kicked the bucket yesterday.

Went for a nice 50 mile ride on the DRZ this morning. It was interesting. At the gun range, gas station and Starbucks I had people stopping me to talk about the DRZ. I don't get that much attention on the FZ1.

Two guys at Starbucks were telling me they cant ride that type of bike because their legs are to short. They said they would have to get a smaller 250 or something. I asked them what heir inseam was and one guy said 30 and the other 31. I told them my inseam is 29". lol They stuck around to watch me jump on mine like a monkey, load the suspension so I could get a foot down and take off. They may be thinking about a DS after seeing how easy it is....

I pushed mine home from work yesterday after killing my battery to the point where it wouldn't even push start

It was a hell of a workout

I pushed mine home from work yesterday after killing my battery to the point where it wouldn't even push start

It was a hell of a workout

I hope it wasn't too far. Ouch. You may want to pack a small Battery Tender to take to work. Just tell them it's an electric bike and you need to charge it before going home. :embarrased:

757582d1348381775-safety-care-all-pakwheels-lovers-safety21a_xuq_pakwheels-com-.gif

It wasn't bad, actually. About 2.5 miles

I'm going to get a battery tomorrow. Or at least, get it tested to verify it is a piece of junk

I went to the battery shop today, had them test it. The initial test showed it was ok, but marginal. I explained my issue with drain and having next to no power after a failed crank so he load tested it and verified it would die quickly under load.

Went with the Shorai LFX14A4-BS12 because it was only $10 more. I'll take this as an opportunity to test these kinds of batteries under unpleasant conditions and see if they work! The weight savings are laughable

Back