What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

I secured the last bit I need for the Factory kit, a forged front wheel. It's matte gold, what I want is matte black with the OEM, orange peal texture. I think I've found the perfect powder coater for the job to.

So the parts I don't plan to get, unless something falls in my lap, are the magnesium engine covers, the front brake rotors and the showerhead fuel injection. Chassis wise, sans rotors it will match.

Ricochet Customs

16a8ca9d37b5a69c8d960dd2ddde5160.jpg

Can't wait to see her in all her glory! Oh, and how is the wrist coming along Pete??

I gave the VFR a thorough clean today. Degreased the whole underside, cleaned all the black gunk out from around the chain, cleaned the wheels and washed the bike. I applied a coat of wax and took the time to disassemble the kill switch, clean the connections and apply new dielectric grease. I was having some sporadic issues with the switch over the winter and that should take care of that

Nice to have a sunny day off to unwind and take care of the bike

So close, yet so far. All for the want of a 14mm allen key of all things. Who the heck has a 14mm allen key? The top nut requires this. Of all things. I found a bolt with a 14mm head, and JB Welded two jam nuts on the threaded end. I'll see if this works tomorrow morning once the JB Weld bonds...if not, off to Northern Tool.

Attachments

• 20150402_202548.jpg
    20150402_202548.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 61
Here's the weight of the Factory rear wheel. The stock cast one is about 14/15 lbs. I'll weight it once I get the forged ones powered coated. All together the wheels will cut about 7 to 8 lbs of rotating mass. Turn in should be even quicker.

36221ccc4158865136143fbcd0760b5e.jpg

573973eae43cc9c9b3893fe6405aaf52.jpg

Industrial sized allens. Buy a tool, use it once....rolled eyes.

0f96e4ab714db16797b0483e69668bec.jpg

I have lots of those, from 4 mm to 22 mm. Everything from body panels, to shock bolts to stator cover ( and bolt to turn over engine to tdc) use those. Unlike Allen keys, you can use a torque wrench with those.

I had to buy a Snap On 1/4" drive 4 mm to be able to get in to torque my cam bridge bolts. Nothing else would fit in the space, unless I dropped the engine out of the frame. The most expensive socket that I own!

Last edited:
More snow?! :(

It snowed off and on all day yesterday, but nothing serious, and it only stayed in the shaded areas. The forecast calls for snow again tomorrow, maybe. It was snowing to the west in the picture and I saw a few flakes as I rode (not the ones in cars either).

This is not at all unusual for this side of the mountains at this time of year. In the mean time I'll take the days like this.

IMG_0589.jpg

Last edited:
Just came back from a short test ride. In a word, sublime. It tracks so nice over bumps, responds quick and the damping is spot on. Well worth the effort.

uploadfromtaptalk1428102840686_zpstl2rfi2d.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428102840686.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428102840686.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
The guy I bought these from in the UK, put on a set of... $13,000.00 Ohlins on his Tuono. Cough, cough, cough. They are the full on superbike forks. They're beautiful. He's getting ceramic rotors next. Different league.

They look awesome Pete, enjoy them mate. That bike of yours must be a blast to ride.

I put in a 100 miles today and had fun. I was seeking out pot holes and bumps to test the forks more! I need to dial them a little bit, a little less compression damping I think, maybe 2 to 3 clicks.

Last edited:
Cape May... I knew that sounded familiar. I used to read a blog by a guy named Jack Riepe that was tremendously enjoyable, and he spent a winter in Cape May a couple of seasons ago. Some of the most entertaining writing that I've read. Hadn't thought of him in a while, but it still makes me a little sad that he doesn't post any more.

Back