Steering dampner - Gen 2

Thanks for mentioning Sprint and the pic. I've been looking around for a damper and there all just expensive. I do need one but let's be reasonable...right. Well I contacted Sprint and for a whopping 158 Eng.Pds. delivered. Hows about well under $300. Excellent.

Of all the ones that make a mounting kit specifically for the FZ1 that's probably the cheapest. Post up some pics of the install and your experience with it after you mount it.

Thanks for the tip

Properly designed steering damper will give lock to lock travel w/o any issues. As far as I know Sprint (UK based) just started making an undermount steering damper for the FZ1. See attached...

Just bought my new Sprint damper...very nice but the price of $240 delivered!
Icing on the cake! It smokes Gpr, Scotts and HyperPro, half the price and I had to get it outside of the country. Go figure...
Sprint Dampers UK Ltd

Update on the way

Of all the ones that make a mounting kit specifically for the FZ1 that's probably the cheapest. Post up some pics of the install and your experience with it after you mount it.

The images are coming but the road test is what I'm looking forward to. I feel confident that it will at least meet my expectation for function.

Just brought one as well for UK, very good service I got mine off ebay 200 GBP delivered to other side of the globe. Should arrive next week.

What is the purpose of this steering damper
what it should improve?
Thanks

These will (help) prevent a headshake or tank slapper. Typically, the less rake you have on the bike, the less stable the bike is in a straight but the better it turns in. The FZ1 has a good amount of rake but riders like to change this by raising the rear, lowering the front, or sometimes both. This makes for some GREAT corners but terrible straights.

What happens is, after hitting the apex and rolling on the throttle, the front can lift. Without enough rake, when that front tire touches back down and is not hitting the pavement in the same direction you are traveling, it will start the tank slapper. This is almost totally uncontrollable and will almost always end in a crash.

The steering stabilizers are just like a shock absorber. Without them, the car hits a bump and you just bounce up and down as you travel down the road until the car settles. Well, throw in a shock and the car hits the bump, the tire goes up, comes down and settles almost immediately. This is what the stabilizer does for the bike. It is a fluid dampening mechanism that is mounted to the steering head and the frame in many different fashions. When that tank slapper should be happening, this device will prevent it and stabilize the slapper without a crash. They are adjustable so you can set them to dampen more or less. Less for touring/city driving and more for carving canyons or track days.

Hope that helps. :D

The Master

These will (help) prevent a headshake or tank slapper. Typically, the less rake you have on the bike, the less stable the bike is in a straight but the better it turns in. The FZ1 has a good amount of rake but riders like to change this by raising the rear, lowering the front, or sometimes both. This makes for some GREAT corners but terrible straights.

What happens is, after hitting the apex and rolling on the throttle, the front can lift. Without enough rake, when that front tire touches back down and is not hitting the pavement in the same direction you are traveling, it will start the tank slapper. This is almost totally uncontrollable and will almost always end in a crash.

The steering stabilizers are just like a shock absorber. Without them, the car hits a bump and you just bounce up and down as you travel down the road until the car settles. Well, throw in a shock and the car hits the bump, the tire goes up, comes down and settles almost immediately. This is what the stabilizer does for the bike. It is a fluid dampening mechanism that is mounted to the steering head and the frame in many different fashions. When that tank slapper should be happening, this device will prevent it and stabilize the slapper without a crash. They are adjustable so you can set them to dampen more or less. Less for touring/city driving and more for carving canyons or track days.

Hope that helps. :D

Nice understandable explanations that anyone should be able to understand. Were you dressed in a white toga sitting cross legged with some insense burning? Picture the "master" in the show Kung Fu, for those who did not get the refference.:shame:

Nice understandable explanations that anyone should be able to understand. Were you dressed in a white toga sitting cross legged with some insense burning? Picture the "master" in the show Kung Fu, for those who did not get the refference.:shame:

I must have left the webcam on and open to the public.... it's the ONLY way you could have known! :icon_beer:

Road tested sprint steering damper

From my previous post where I showed images of the install and expressed my first experience riding my FZ 1 with the new damper. That first ride was with the OEM wind screen and sans the GIVI bags, basically naked. This day I did a 150 loop doing 65 to 70 mph in straight line droning with friends. The damper proved to be more essential than I thought even doing legal speeds. It was an overcast day but windy and as we headed North the Westbound side wind and sometimes gusts did not phase the bike...even with a GIVI screen and all 3 hard cases. Then we got passed by a couple of tractor trailers and again the bike steered straight. My bike had wobbled and moments of head shake without the damper for the last 2 years and now I have this new sense of love with the FZ. On the way home I filled up after 150 miles for the last 10 miles home and riding with a friend on a new CBR1000 I saw the road was completely empty and took advantage of my friend by pulling the trigger and getting the jump on him. The FZ pulled dead straight fully loaded up to 150mph with no ill effect and my buddy could not believe what I had just pulled. There was NO WAY I could do that without the damper. I used to fight the bike at speeds above 100 to keep it straight...in touring trim. Naked it would make me work above 140. I believe Yamaha should have added an OEM damper on the FZ. The addition of the damper dramatically changed and improved the ride ability of the bike and enabled me to ride with a higher level of confidence not previously acheived. You might say...well I don't need one but feeling is believing and you won't believe what you have missed without it. Ride Safe.

I ordered one in black, looks good in the pics so I have made the right decision with black, the dampner blends really well with your bike it almost looks factory.

I ordered one in black, looks good in the pics so I have made the right decision with black, the dampner blends really well with your bike it almost looks factory.

Yea, it looks good in black. Just wish the mounting brackets were also black or is that an option?

Color options

Yea, it looks good in black. Just wish the mounting brackets were also black or is that an option?

The damper body comes in 6 colors but the hardware and brackets are all the same...If you want a perfect custom application I would send out those pieces and get them anodized...black.

Just installed the Sprint dampner, first up found the steering a bit heavier farting about in town at lower speed but nothing to worry about, on the open road and twisties this thing rocks!!! the bike feels more confident, stable and holds the line planted, i did'nt think a dampner would make such a big difference to the FZ1. I am really looking forward to taking the bike on the track, i am very happy with the results big thumbs up to the Sprint dampner fully recommend it, i will sort some photos soon.

Just installed the Sprint dampner, first up found the steering a bit heavier farting about in town at lower speed but nothing to worry about, on the open road and twisties this thing rocks!!! the bike feels more confident, stable and holds the line planted, i did'nt think a dampner would make such a big difference to the FZ1. I am really looking forward to taking the bike on the track, i am very happy with the results big thumbs up to the Sprint dampner fully recommend it, i will sort some photos soon.

Just as I feel bro... I installed the hyperpro, no matter what brand, a bike must have this device. :Rockon:

Finally got some photos sorted, the dampner took about 1/2 hour to install fairly straight forward.

Hi, installing Sprint steering damper on my fz1 I put the small metal stop on the right side of frame (on right side standing on the bike, the throttle side) according to the instruction paper but now I can't use the steering lock feature on the ignition switch. Do you have the same problem? How can I fix this problem? I need the lock feature:confused0024: Thank you.

Hi, installing Sprint steering damper on my fz1 I put the small metal stop on the right side of frame (on right side standing on the bike, the throttle side) according to the instruction paper but now I can't use the steering lock feature on the ignition switch. Do you have the same problem? How can I fix this problem? I need the lock feature:confused0024: Thank you.

I would try putting the metal stop on the left side of the frame so it doesn't interfere with the ignition lock and just adjust the damper in it's mount accordingly.

I would try putting the metal stop on the left side of the frame so it doesn't interfere with the ignition lock and just adjust the damper in it's mount accordingly.

I thought about it, but I want to email to Sprint Damper to know if is the same putting the metal stop on the left, to me it seems to be the same

I thought about it, but I want to email to Sprint Damper to know if is the same putting the metal stop on the left, to me it seems to be the same

See what they have to say, but I would imagine that it would be fine. The whole idea is to limit the amount that the steering travels side to side as to not bottom out the steering damper. As long as you adjust the steering damper so that it's properly centered and not bottoming out I don't see an issue with mounting the little metal on either side.

Back