Steering dampner - Gen 2

B

Buildercher

Who has one?, I have 42mm Rizoma risers and bars and have read the top mounted dampners doesnt give you full steering lock?, has anyone had this problem?, can someone tell me how bad steering range is with the dampner fitted and can you still lock the steering?, I would give up a little steering lock to not modify or use a spacer on my risers as I like the riding position. The other question has anyone mounted a steering dampner underneath infront of the radiator if so what mounting kit did you use?

I have an hyperpro on my 2006 no affect on the steering lock to lock. I also have risers. The steering damper is good improvement especially with rough pavement on turns.

I am not sure if it is neccessary but since when is necessity have anything to do with motorcycling. If that were the case we would all be riding scooters LOL.

As for the damper it also looks great and creates conversation at the local stop. That is what it is about to look good and be functional. Expensive addition but I think it is worth it.

Properly designed steering damper will give lock to lock travel w/o any issues. As far as I know Sprint (UK based) just started making an undermount steering damper for the FZ1. See attached...

hyper will work with the stock mounts.

But why do you think you need a damper on our bike? Just sayin as with the long wheel base and wide rake, bike is very stable. That's why many racer dampers don't make one for the FZ1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the roads I ride are rough and uneven, I am thinking of a little more stability in the corners might be a good thing. I was suprised how loose the steering locking nut had become when checked recently and i've only done 12,000km, if the bike had a dampner would it have been so loose?. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Some of the roads I ride are rough and uneven, I am thinking of a little more stability in the corners might be a good thing. I was suprised how loose the steering locking nut had become when checked recently and i've only done 12,000km, if the bike had a dampner would it have been so loose?. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Can't say for sure if a damper would have helped, but somehow I doubt it. Could be that maybe the steering lock nut was not properly adjusted from factory. One thing I plan to replace on my bike later this year is the stock steering head bearings with tapered ones. Much more durable...

damper will not make the road smooth. Here' what I do: after the flick, go way loose on the bars, grip with knees. Make sure weight is over, as in my butt over and knee hitting the inside engine slider. If rough, put more weight on pegs, especially outside pet.

The above smooths it out. You feel the bumps, but only through your gloves, not the whole body.

Remember, faster the flick, the faster the bike turns. But get weight over before the flick, as our bike fights the turn without some hanging off.

All I do is twisties, and I'm still learning all the time.

My bike doesn't need a damper. And it would have one if I thought it would improve handling.

Thanks for your advice but I must disagree a little, a steering dampner will make the bike more stabile especially when the surface is uneven, bumpy and rough. Fair enough on smooth roads a dampner probably isn't needed. From fellow users who have installed the dampners the feedback is all positive, I am keen on the Sprint steering dampner that is mounted underneath it seems like the perfect solution instead of having to modify the risers.

Thanks for your advice but I must disagree a little, a steering dampner will make the bike more stabile especially when the surface is uneven, bumpy and rough. Fair enough on smooth roads a dampner probably isn't needed. From fellow users who have installed the dampners the feedback is all positive, I am keen on the Sprint steering dampner that is mounted underneath it seems like the perfect solution instead of having to modify the risers.

After you buy one, then test it on a bumpy road that you know well. Do it a few times.

Dampers are great for the gp short wheel base and tight rake bikes.

On our bike I take the bumps just as I do on my WR: ignore them, or find a valley if the stupid bump is at my target flick. My main 160 mile loop is nice and crappy-bumpy asphalt, which I totally love. Except for one big hill-bump that throw the back tire out of alignment.

In my case, a damper would not change the ride at all, not that I'd want it to, but, then, why buy a damper if the ride is already excellent.

I'm no expert, just saying what my take is on this. Get the damper and have fun. That's what it's all about!

I agree with what your saying, most of the time when your riding you just get on with it and have fun, one of the things that I do love about the FZ1 is when the steering gets light and twitchy in twisties, it really adds to the character of the bike. But with I do see a dampner as a insurance policy for when thing get out of sorts, I only ride for fast road, track days and have done the essental mods in handling and performance.

I had mounted Hyperpro last week after that big shake I had :)

Hyperpro...

04032010125.jpg

04032010128.jpg

04032010127.jpg

04032010126.jpg

03032010124.jpg

04032010129.jpg

It looks good mate, question?, does Hyperpro do a kit so it can be mounted underneath? I am looking at the Sprint steering dampner but everyone on the forum seems to have Hyperpro?, do they work the same as a conventional dampner or is their some new technology in them?

It looks good mate, question?, does Hyperpro do a kit so it can be mounted underneath? I am looking at the Sprint steering dampner but everyone on the forum seems to have Hyperpro?, do they work the same as a conventional dampner or is their some new technology in them?

As far as I know Sprint is the only one making one for the FZ1 that mounts underneath. The HP is popular because they were one of the first ones to have one for the Gen II FZ1 and it's a good product. And yes there is some new technology in there. It's termed an "active damper". Read more about it here:

Hyper Pro USA - Catalog

Yea, those look like the stock FZ1 brake lines. I think he has an FZ1-N, but I don't think the lines are any different than the faired model.

Forgot how huge the stock lines were. I installed the tiny kevlars.

Sprint Brand Steering Damper

Properly designed steering damper will give lock to lock travel w/o any issues. As far as I know Sprint (UK based) just started making an undermount steering damper for the FZ1. See attached...

Thanks for mentioning Sprint and the pic. I've been looking around for a damper and there all just expensive. I do need one but let's be reasonable...right. Well I contacted Sprint and for a whopping 158 Eng.Pds. delivered. Hows about well under $300. Excellent.

Back