Zip Tie Tire Changing Method On A 190?? Probably Not!

Many of you guys have probably heard of the Zip Tie Method of removing a tire from the wheel with little or no tools. So I'm up for anything at least once, so I ran out and spent a whopping $1.99 on huge zip ties at Harbor Freight and had a go at it. Well, I have to say that it may work well on skinny tires such as 160's or possibly 180's, but this ain't happening on 190's. I sat and patiently tied off ten straps pretty darn tight using a C-Clamp to compress the tire as I went and while the tire is very loose on the rim, it will still not be able to be pulled off as in the videos I've seen on YouTube. The bead diameter is just way too tight for it to happen. I just thought I'd give it a go to see what would happen and now I'm posting the results so that if anyone here wants to try, they know that for at least a 190, it's probably not going to work. So I'm going to just spoon the tire off like I was going to do in the first place. Just thought I'd share my experience with the people here on the board. Here's a shot of what it looks like all banded up..........

IMG_20141230_195428_zps172cfc02.jpg

Mike, your absolutely right about that. That rear tire is on there but good! When you watch the video the kid compresses the tire with his two hands once the bead is broken. My rear, even with both beads broken, can't be compressed by hand. Not my hands anyway. It was an experience though so it's all good.

Last edited:
Mike, your absolutely right about that. That rear tire is on there but good! When you watch the video the kid compresses the tire with his two hands one the bead is broken. My rear, even with both beads broken, can't be compressed by hand. Not my hands anyway. It was an experience though so it's all good.

You should start drinking milk! :)

Back