YZF Winter Spruce Up 2012

Nice to see you got her back together. I may have some time tomorrow afternoon to play with the RZ. Maybe I'll try to to the steering head and wheel bearings. I'm still pretty far away from having a roller :(

Thanks T. At least you'll have nice weather tomorrow to work on it. Should be in the 60's according to the weatherman, but you know how that goes!

With just the small things left to do I headed down this morning for some "grunt work". Shining up all the bodywork hardware. I was going to order all new hardware but between the parts and shipping costs from Partshark, it would have been close to $40 bucks to swap everything out. So I broke out the scotchbrite and went to work.

Most of the hardware looked like the ones on the left. Some nastier than others. With a lot of rubbing they shined up good enough to warrant keeping them.
IMG_4664_zps5f1e459b.jpg

So I sat and listened to some music and did all the rest, bag by bag.
IMG_4665_zpsc6246de5.jpg

IMG_4666_zps5b10c3fe.jpg

With the crack in the rear tail panel all dry and seemingly strong, I installed the tail section.
IMG_4668_zps69b753c6.jpg

Then I moved to the front of the bike and disconnected the Temp. Sensor and Fan Sensor, and the Ground. I cleaned all the contacts, gave everything a dose of Dilectric Grease, and re-installed everything back clean.
IMG_4671_zpsc6ec259e.jpg

The Belly Pan came next and went on pretty easily for a change. I think it's because I'm getting good practice doing it all the time. :wilynily:
IMG_4672_zpsa26f7a49.jpg

IMG_4674_zpsfe08e7ae.jpg

Lastly the Mid-Panels went on and I was finished!!! I just needed to set the suspension settings on the forks and it was time for a shakedown run!
IMG_4675_zps878e78be.jpg

IMG_4676_zps3613de02.jpg

IMG_4677_zpsa54f0036.jpg

So there she is! I can say that I'm so happy she's finished and that I have learned a valuable lesson when it comes to fog and road salt. It WON'T happen again!!!! I think she looks beautiful, and I took her for a spin to fill the gas tank and I will say that she is so smooth with the new spark plugs, and the front suspension is outstanding!

So, I didn't have the GoPro down with me but I did a little walkaround before heading to the gas station. I promise I'll have some video extremely soon!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E4s23opPkY]97' YZF1000R Walkaround - YouTube[/ame]

Blink,blink

Awesome Billy . . .. I am blinking back the tears for ya. I know how you cried and sweated over this love of your life . . .. and man, she sure looks outstanding !!

Great pics !! Great documentary !!

Awesome Billy . . .. I am blinking back the tears for ya. I know how you cried and sweated over this love of your life . . .. and man, she sure looks outstanding !!

Great pics !! Great documentary !!

Gary!! Thanks old pal. I wished I could have took a longer ride today but I had no gear on and was in my "grease monkey" outfit, so I just needed to fill the tank with fresh gas. I will say that with the new NGK's installed, she pulls so flippin' smooth now it's not funny!

It actually got warmer already. You can ride to work tomorrow and Tuesday :)

Unfortunately, I have a ton of parts coming for the car this week so I can't ride the bike to work. :cry: I'm driving out to Connecticut this Saturday to have the Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds done by a guy on my Forum and the parts are coming this week. There is already three boxes there from this past Saturday. The Trailer Hitch came which is a really nice piece. The car should be done by next week and my check engine problems gone for good! I have the new tail lights, headlights, Crank Sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, 8mm Wire Set, Spark Plugs, Dip Stick, Ugraded Upper Intake, Lower Intake Alum Upgraded Gasket Set, plus other misc. stuff. Man, I have a lot to do!

Unfortunately, I have a ton of parts coming for the car this week so I can't ride the bike to work. :cry: I'm driving out to Connecticut this Saturday to have the Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds done by a guy on my Forum and the parts are coming this week. There is already three boxes there from this past Saturday. The Trailer Hitch came which is a really nice piece. The car should be done by next week and my check engine problems gone for good! I have the new tail lights, headlights, Crank Sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, 8mm Wire Set, Spark Plugs, Dip Stick, Ugraded Upper Intake, Lower Intake Alum Upgraded Gasket Set, plus other misc. stuff. Man, I have a lot to do!

Wow that is a lot of stuff for the car!

Wow that is a lot of stuff for the car!

I've been holding off to get everything done at once so I'll be ready for towing. Once everything is done I need to drop it off to have my Tranny Guy install the Tranny Cooler. With these 4 speed auto trannys, it's a good idea to have one so I don't have to tow in third gear.

Bike looks great Billy, nice job! That road salt is terrible for bikes. I have been out twice so far (just aroud town) and both times the wheels and underside of my bike were covered in white powder, had to wash immedietly. Need some good rain here to clean these roads off. It flurried here a few times this weekend and this coming weeks weather looks like crap too, getting tired of waiting!

Bike looks great Billy, nice job! That road salt is terrible for bikes. I have been out twice so far (just aroud town) and both times the wheels and underside of my bike were covered in white powder, had to wash immedietly. Need some good rain here to clean these roads off. It flurried here a few times this weekend and this coming weeks weather looks like crap too, getting tired of waiting!

Thanks bud! We are finally getting some nice weather this week but unfortunately I need to use the car for work. I have a bunch of packages coming this week in the mail. Goodies for the Pontiac!!!

Road salt sucks! Imagine why are roads are so bad. If it can totally trash a bike in 14 days, imagine the roads that have it sitting on top the entire winter!

Back