Yamaha fz1n/s 2012 vs 2006?

drmgillan

I was surprised to see that the 2012 FZ1 on bikes.com got much lower ratings than the 2006 FZ1 . I thought ratings would be the same considering not much has changed over the years, or better since Yamaha had the opurtunity to tweak this awesome beast. Can some explain????????

Yea, there's a lot newer (and probably better in some ways) competion out there for it. The Kawasaki Z1000 and Ninja 1000 come to mind along with the Honda CB1000R.

I hope we see a "new" FZ1 in 2013 and not just another updated paint scheme.

Time marches on and the FZ1 is the same bike as in 2006 while the competition has moved forward which makes the FZ1 look worse in comparison. This is Yamaha's 7th year with the same bike (except for a few tweaks in the engine management department), that is a long time in the transportation world to go without change. Everybody thought 2012 would bring a serious new bike but that was not to be. Maybe next year, or not, these are tough economic times and bike companies are stretching out their R&D over longer time periods.

The competition in the 1000 cc naked and semi-naked class has gotten pretty stiff but the FZ1 is still a very good bike. When the so-called road testers from the cycle rags get on someone elses machine (the loaning company's) they can run the hell out of it without worrying about whether or not it will be able to stand up to the beating. Most owners will take care of, and appreciate their own machine for what it is, and can do, a lot more than what some road tester says another one can do better. I am riding my 1980 XS Eleven this winter in AZ and I find it pretty darned amazing that a 32 year old machine has held up tp the owners and the elements as well as my bike has and still is enjoyable to ride. It makes me proud to say to anyone who asks, "it's 32 years old and purrs like a kitten".

I saton all of them. The CB has some nice refinement, but was too small for me. The Kawi is nice too, but better deals were available on the FZ. I would go with the best deal of what fits you best, all three are good bikes.

I hope we see a "new" FZ1 in 2013 and not just another updated paint scheme.[/QUOTE]

Somehow i doubt we will ever see a gen3 FZ1 now the FZ8 is here. After 7yrs and no updates i think the FZ1 has seen its last days?.

I saton all of them. The CB has some nice refinement, but was too small for me. The Kawi is nice too, but better deals were available on the FZ. I would go with the best deal of what fits you best, all three are good bikes.

Ive ridden all of them. The CB is guttless and requires some $$$ to get it to perform, the suspension is better than a stock FZ1 but still will need to be upgraded if ridden hard. The Kwaka has awesome mid-range pull but lacks top-end kickass grunt like the FZ1 has, IMO the biggest problem is it looks like a tarts handbag with all this plastic crap hanging off it - each to there own?. If i was shopping for a new bike it would be a Euro not a Jappa.

Ive ridden all of them. The CB is guttless and requires some $$$ to get it to perform, the suspension is better than a stock FZ1 but still will need to be upgraded if ridden hard. The Kwaka has awesome mid-range pull but lacks top-end kickass grunt like the FZ1 has, IMO the biggest problem is it looks like a tarts handbag with all this plastic crap hanging off it - each to there own?. If i was shopping for a new bike it would be a Euro not a Jappa.

I agree about the styling of the Kawi. The mid-range punch is awesome and the gearing and fueling is spot on from the factory. I'm sure a few horses could be found on the top-end with a set of pipes.

And I agree with you about the Euro bikes...they have really stepped up and left the Jap bikes behind for now. A Tuono V4 would be a kick-ass naked bike ;)

All I know is I love my 2006!

A "tart's handbag", I've got to remember that one.

One of the guys at work has the Kawi, too much plastic for me.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree about the styling of the Kawi. The mid-range punch is awesome and the gearing and fueling is spot on from the factory. I'm sure a few horses could be found on the top-end with a set of pipes.

And I agree with you about the Euro bikes...they have really stepped up and left the Jap bikes behind for now. A Tuono V4 would be a kick-ass naked bike ;)

The Tuono is a fantastic looking bike, it oozes quality and the craftsmanship looks top shelf its definately is a winner :wow:

I'll go with Jap's bike any day or untill I win a lotto. :yes:
Don't see myself spending over 12Ks on Tuono v4 or Monster, and not to mention the cost of maintance. They are awsome bikes, and I love them. Value for the money is in Jap's bike, I think.

Don't see myself spending over 12Ks on Tuono v4 or Monster, and not to mention the cost of maintance. They are awsome bikes, and I love them. Value for the money is in Jap's bike, I think.

Wow. Yeah. Considered a BMW before I bought my ST1300, but then starting asking about costs of service, warranties, etc. YIKES!...:tdown:

But doesn't a new 2012 R1 cost over $13K?

You guys don't know how good you have it over there.

A 2012 R1 is $20,000 AUD and an Aprilia Tuono V4R is $24000 AUD.

For reference our Aussie dollar stronger than your US dollar, 1 Aussie dollar is worth 1.08 USD.

I would jump at an Aprilia Tuono costing only $12,000.

But doesn't a new 2012 R1 cost over $13K?

You guys don't know how good you have it over there.

A 2012 R1 is $20,000 AUD and an Aprilia Tuono V4R is $24000 AUD.

For reference our Aussie dollar stronger than your US dollar, 1 Aussie dollar is worth 1.08 USD.

I would jump at an Aprilia Tuono costing only $12,000.

Same thing in Slovenia (and all other European countries..)

A 2012 R1 is 15.000 - 16.000 eur (20 - 21.000 USD)

Bikes in the USA are CHEAP!! :) Me and my friends are always talking about how great it would be if we had your prices for cars, bikes, electronic and other stuff :)

Because average salaries in Europe (most countries) are the same or lower as yours.. There are some stronger countries (higher salaries) in Europe, but not many..

America is a great country for many reasons with low cost of living in the top 5, right after that freedom of speech thing and right to pursue happiness.

I'm sticking to my 06 fz1n. A beast even in stock form, fun, reliable, low maintenance, value for money, can take it off road if the need arises, great around town. Turns heads every time. Great styling.
Oh and a panty dropper if you so desire.:cheers::yes::tdow
:embarrased:

Man, I love those red and gold bikes. Mine too. Not too sure about my gold rims though. I like the looks, but man even after the first ride home from the dealer, it's obvious keeping them clean is going to be problematic.....

ce5227e7.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I love those red and gold bikes. Mine too. Not too sure about my gold rims though. I like the looks, but man even after the first ride home from the dealer, it's obvious keeping them clean is going to be problematic.....

ce5227e7.jpg

Nothing a wipe with a rag and some WD-40 won't fix.

I used to have white wheels on my old GSX-R600 and this method worked wonders.

Back