Wind screen comparison thread

And not at 100 mph+ :D

For some, yep. But I love the wind always, even at over that at times. Just personal preferences & riding styles. But I just ride road on the FZ. Not track, which might change my mind. I'm willing to learn a different way, but very happy with my ride now. :D

Last edited:
I've never tried stock screen, but have experience with the following:

Cut/painted stock screen:

stripesa.jpg

Air is directed just below the neck. Very little turbulence, but more than full naked setup. For this reason I've cut it down another 1.5" for next season (have not tried it yet out on the road). Very good for warm days.

Zero Gravity touring:

myfz1bw.jpg

Air is directed to the forehead. Creates awful wind noise, making it impossible to ride without ear plugs (in contrast, I rarely used ear plugs on a naked bike off the highway). Turbulence is quite bad at the head and moderate at shoulders.
I hated this screen the first few times I used it, but really had no choice because I was doing 50 mile rides at highway speeds in cold temps and needed the protection. I've gotten used to the screen and I actually like it quite a bit now. It's possible to tuck and have a completely silent ride and even sitting in normal position (as long as ear plugs are in) is not that bad. It does make me lose sense of speed though because it blocks so much of the wind.
For back roads in cold weather, this screens works beautifully. At 55 or so, there's no turbulence to speak of and just about all the wind is blocked (I'm 5' 10"), but ear plugs are still required.

Right, I rarely use earplugs minus the windscreen. I forgot how noisy that screen was.

Having the right helmet helps too, I guess.

Zero Gravity sport touring in Dark smoke

I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm 5'11" and this windshield is perfect for me with no buffeting under normal conditions. Fit and finish are excellent.

MayRide2011.jpg

Millervillebackroad.jpg

Leavingtown1sttime.jpg

2011launch.jpg

I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm 5'11" and this windshield is perfect for me with no buffeting under normal conditions. Fit and finish are excellent.

MayRide2011.jpg

That looks good Lee. I should have probably gone with the regular screen and not the double bubble one when I was running the ZG.

Hi Lee, how does the S/T ZG screen compare to the stock screen in wind noise

It's been too long since I had the stock one on for me to give you an honest answer. For me it was more the way it moved the air blast up and over me vs stock, without a bunch of turbulence. With the ZG- sport touring the air still hits the upper part of my helmet enough for the vents to be useful, but doesn't bounce my head around.

Zero Gravity has horrible product support. I had a Corsa on my 08 CBR600 and it fit like crap. They never offered to make it right. I will never buy from them again. Just my 2 cents.

Zg db

I installed a Zero Gravity Double-Bubble in the DARK Smoke . . . and I like it for my style of riding. The DB moves the air up and over me and I'm 5'-11". It is noisy but I wear a HJC helmet, not the quietest. I don't require the wearing of earplugs either, it isn't that bad IMHO.
I also really like the DARK-ness of the screen. I even 'blacked-out' the lower inside part to further hide the gages, wires, and cables.
Finally, the fit and finish on mine were perfect and I'd buy another one in an instant. :icon_beer:

ZG S/T screen light smoke arrived today,no problems with fitting,went for a quick spin,less buffeting at speed but at least as noisy as the standard screen though there was a fairly strong side wind blowing.need to do a couple of longer rides before i can say for sure if I am happy with it or not. by the way I am approx 5'-8" bike a 2008 model

Last edited:
Rifle vs. Stock

Hello All!
New FZ1 owner. Just picked up this low mileage (745) lovely. It came with this HUGE Rifle windscreen on it.
Rode it for short time with it. Had very good wind protection, but.....the noise was terrible. I'm 5'10" or so and it may have worked if I was shorter or taller. Noticed if I crouched down slightly it would quiet down.

a1548dd6.jpg

38e92b80.jpg

I figured I would start with a stock shield. Picked up this zero gravity SR (Stock Replacement) Series windscreen. It's fairly quiet, although it doesn't offer a lot of protection. Wind hits me chest high. I'm living with it. I'm not done trying out others yet. Waiting for some extra$$$$ plus want to do other performance mods.

32abb569.jpg

5affa7d1.jpg

One thing I noticed is helmets make a difference along with the angle of windscreen. I played around a lot with a stock shield & angles on my Multistrada.

Well I hope this helps for someone possibly interested in the rifle.
Thanks All for GREAT & Informative site!

I don't disagree! Guess it may offer decent protection from the elements :confused0024:

My (faster blue '07 :nana:) came with the stock shield and that same Rifle screen. It is really ugly. :shoot: It comes with a separate base that attaches to the stock windshield mounts and then the windshield attaches to this base. The base angles the shield in a more vertical position and allows a larger opening at the bottom for more air to come through to help eliminate the vacuum created by the gi-normous (and very wide) screen. I used it for a while when I first got the bike (October 2010) and it really allowed me to commute to work in colder weather than I normally would. Being wider, it also helped protect my hands from some wind too. My bike had (and still has) aftermarket bars that have an upward bend in them, so the previous owner had to cut out places in the side of the shield to allow the bar full range of motion. I assume this is not necessary with the stock bars.

I'm 5'11" and I have ridden with it at over 150mph and even though it seems a bit 'wobbly' when you grab and twist the shield, it held up well at speed. I also rode with it in a cold rain one time (only about 10 miles), and it kept me fairly dry from the mid chest down.

I can't say I'm a big fan of this screen, but I only have the stock to compare it to. I didn't use it after it warmed up in 2011, so it's been a while since I've ridden with it. It did cause a few whistle noises in my RF-1100 at just the right speed and cross wind. I guess I'm trying to say it's not as bad as it looks, but I'm still looking.

I feel I'm too tired to make much sense right now :blahblah: (I work 7pm to 7am and it's past my bed time). I'll chime back in tomorrow after some sleep. :zzz: I'd like to hear from Norm on that gi-NORM-ous Cee Bailey screen he has. (I'll be sorry I wrote that tomorrow... hehehe :nerd:)

I don't have a windscreen at all. I use the Copperdog body panel which is the mid-height scalloped version. Quite impressive on the eye and the clean air flow over this screen makes it a dream to sit behind. Yes, you get FULL air on your body and head but there is no more turbulence shaking the crap out of your head. Some find all this air to be troublesome or fatiguing but I find it comfortable even at highway speeds of a constant 75 - 85 mph. I use that cushion of air to my advantage. It allows me to greatly relax my arms while that wind holds me upright.

The stock screen is utterly useless crap and causes so much head bobble that it would be best to simply remove it altogether!

The CD screen is the perfect compliment to the lines of our bikes.

I agree...to this day I can't figure out why Yamaha gave the FZ1 such an upright windscreen. It certainly creates more turbulence than anything else.

Back