Whining Noise FZ1N Gen 2 2009 with 60000 miles

Whining Noise FZ1N Gen 2 2009 with 60000 miles

Hello I hope someone has run into this problem, and can help.

My baby is is making a weird noise.

Over the last few months the noise has increasing gradually.

Symptoms:

On cold start - whinning noise usually but not always quietens after warm-up.
Area - near the bottom of engine - ( i may be wrong).
Started of a bit like a sewing machine, now very prominent.
I can also hear a few squeaks on the odd occasion.
Noise louder when with higher revs, although past 5000rpm, cant hear it, but this may be because of yoshi pipe and traffic/road noise.
There is a build up of oil sludge the bottom of the front sprocket, and also have noticed a few drops of oil under that area.

I am hoping someone can help and its a diy job, as i getting into the maintenance side of owning a bike.

Thanks
I

Hello Sebastian, its you again to the rescue :)

The noise is present when bike standing still, but not as load as when moving.

I have found on the internet some reference to primary drive problem, but i tried searching for "primary drive fz1", but could not find anything useful.

npjunior mentioned that he replaced the two bearings 93306-20124-00 &93306-20230-00, and problem solved ( not sure he had the same problem as me though) .

Hard to say for sure but I'd be willing to bet you have a bearing in the transmission or crankshaft that has went bad. Not really an easy task if that's the case.

This may be "wishful thinking", but has there been any issues with the battery loosing its charge, or perhaps a current draw pulling the battery down some. The alternator makes a fairly significant "sewing machine" sound when really working to charge the battery. Just a long shot.

Thanks everyone for your kind help, i think nojunior has solved my problem ( see message below)

[Dear Apache,
Sorry bro, I think I deleted the video because I can find it here...I really feel sorry about that.
But in my case, I remember the noise I could hear it exactly inside the generator. I put my ear near from the generator when speding up the engine and heard the whining noise. Another particular situation is...sometimes I was riding and the noise suddenly disappear...after some minutes it come back.
Changing these bearings was easy to do. Of course I did not but I see the mechanic working and the only special thing was a tool to remove the bearing behind. Like a inverted pliers.
Hope I could help...good luck and any question feel free to do it]

I'm going to order the two bearings and try and fix install my self. I am an amateur a mechanics, but willing to have a go. What's the worst thing that can go wrong!!!

you could damage more than just the area you are working on IF you do not have the correct tools. I learned that when I was trying to remove my bearings for the swing arm. Even with the right puller, I destroyed the bearing during extraction.

Here in the States, local autopart stores have tools that can be rented to preform the job without the needing to purchase. If this is the beginning of doing away with others being paid to work on the bike, then you make the investment to purchase the tools and you get satisfaction of job successfully completed (hopefully) plus the benefit of the tool for your/friends future use.

Good luck!

In my last post i said "What's the worst thing that can go wrong!!!" , i want to turn back time and retract my statement. :mad:
AAhhhhhhhhhh, why did i not pay attention to the service manual, it clearly stated that whilst, removing the cover i should push and hold the shaft so that only the cover will come away. I didn't do it and took out the cover and generator together, in the process dropped the rear spacer and o-ring in the engine.
Correct me if i am wrong (i probably will be wrong), this is my plan of action.
1. buy flexi magnet and fish out spacer.
2. maybe flush out o-ring, or leave it inside engine, as a car mechanic said it should be alright!!
3. if above fails, remove sump and hopefully find the spacer & o-ring.
Please feel free to add your advice, after you finish laughing.

In my last post i said "What's the worst thing that can go wrong!!!" , i want to turn back time and retract my statement. :mad:
AAhhhhhhhhhh, why did i not pay attention to the service manual, it clearly stated that whilst, removing the cover i should push and hold the shaft so that only the cover will come away. I didn't do it and took out the cover and generator together, in the process dropped the rear spacer and o-ring in the engine.
Correct me if i am wrong (i probably will be wrong), this is my plan of action.
1. buy flexi magnet and fish out spacer.
2. maybe flush out o-ring, or leave it inside engine, as a car mechanic said it should be alright!!
3. if above fails, remove sump and hopefully find the spacer & o-ring.
Please feel free to add your advice, after you finish laughing.

If you only knew how often stuff got dropped in impossible places...
Get it out of there.
Magnets are a lifesaver for any mechanic along with a very light weight flashlight.

Sorry to hear about your troubles ...

Take your time, but by all means, (as has been stated) fish that stuff out of the engine. Foreign bodies in the engine are never a good thing.

Partial success, the spacer has been fished out, but i can not find the rubber o ring anywhere.

What would happen if the ring was left in the engine?

I removed the rear bearing using a piece of bread, i was doubtful at first but it worked. (pics taken and will upload later)

Back