Which Racing School at Cresson, Texas? (MotoSport Ranch)

OK guys - I finally have all my equipment and I think I would like to try some time on the track. I live about 1 1/2 hours south of Cresson, Tx. MotoSport Ranch (approximately 20 min south of Ft Worth) and I think this is a real convenient place for me to go.
Apparently the track itself is rented out at certain times by different racing schools or event coordinators. There are several and I was wondering if you guys had any experiences with any of the schools? Any preferences or bad experiences?

Here is the schedule that I found so far:

There is also a track day by a company called Ridesmart but I can't find the link now. They have days in both March and April.
::::::::::::EDIT:::::::::::
Here is Ridesmart
http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=track.msrc

MotorcycleRidesmart-1.jpg

May 23-24 Star Racing
May 25 National Guard National Guard Day

Here is Star Racing:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/562/8793/Motorcycle-Article/STAR-School-Announces-2011-Schedule.aspx

MotorcycleStarRacing.jpg

These are the only two that I could find listed. The other days seem to be "member's days" - LMAO!!! You don't even want to know what the memberships run!!!! There are lot's of car racing days at this place also.

If you guys have any input or experiences I would love to hear them.
Even if they are about a different track around Central Texas

Last edited:
Give RideSmart a try. I rode with them in December and found them to be very well organized, and the instruction was pretty good. I've heard the other group, Lone Star Track Days is more of a squid group, but take that for what it's worth. I've no idea what the Motorcycle USA thing is.

I usually ride with Elite Track Days at Harris Hill Road, about 30 minutes south of Austin.

Cresson is a very fun track. I've been on it several times in a car.

Last edited:
I will be doing my first track day with RideSmart and then later with LSTD. I am doing corner work days with both in order to get my free track day credits. I should have a minimum of three free track days this year due to corner work days.

I have heard many people recommed a track with wider lanes for their first track day. I have no idea if Cresson fits the bill or not. I selected Texas World Speedway (College Station) for my first track day because I know the lanes are wider than MSRH near Galveston.

Yea, ridesmart is a great group to go riding with. Honestly though you can't go wrong with either them or LSTD. I've ridden with both and they are all top notch groups with excellent instruction.

Dang, I need me some track time, it's been almost two years!

I've no idea what the Motorcycle USA thing is.

MotorcycleUSA.com is just the website that published Star Racing's schedule. I had never heard of it before but then again it's amazing what Mr Google finds for you.

I usually ride with Elite Track Days at Harris Hill Road, about 30 minutes south of Austin.

I could absolutely kick myself for not getting into track days when I was living in San Marcos!!!! LMAO!!!!

I will be doing my first track day with RideSmart and then later with LSTD. I am doing corner work days with both in order to get my free track day credits. I should have a minimum of three free track days this year due to corner work days.

Could you please tell me a little more about this? What are "corner work days?" Are they unique to LSTD or do other tracks do something similar? I realize the second question is a broad question but I'm just wondering if you (or anyone else) has heard of similar offers. LOL College station is a long way away from me :)

With corner working you work a corner, duh... as a flag dude. So if there is a crash you wave the yellow flag, it there is crap all over the track you wave the red flag, end of session the checkered flag, etc. It's pretty fun, gets you close to the track and you can see how the whole show works. With most track day clubs you earn credits towards a free track day. I've done several of these with the SCCA and it was pretty fun.

As far as Hail's concern on the width of the track that's never been a cencern of mine. If a track is wider you simply take a wider line relative to a narrower track. In the beginning groups you're single file within your control group so it really doesn't matter. Regardless the track is fun!!!!

Could you please tell me a little more about this? What are "corner work days?" Are they unique to LSTD or do other tracks do something similar? I realize the second question is a broad question but I'm just wondering if you (or anyone else) has heard of similar offers. LOL College station is a long way away from me :)

LSTD and Ride Smart have Corner Work slots at every track day they do regardless of the track being run. Register early to get a spot.

RideSmart CW info:
RideSmart.Info

Lone Star Track Days CW Info:
Lone Star Track Days ::: Motorcycle Track Days in Texas

Like Hellgate I highly recommend it to see how things run at the track. I have done 3 CW days but this year will be my first track day. I know by heart what all the flags mean which may come in handy when I get on the track. :)

Wider lanes just give a little comfort for your first time out. At level 1 speed you do not need the wider turn. It just you more margin for error. For someone at lvl 3 or a racer it matters not.

How could I forget? The best part of working a corner is the FREE track puck that you get for lunch! I mean what could be better than a cold and over cook burger with a warm Coke???

How could I forget? The best part of working a corner is the FREE track puck that you get for lunch! I mean what could be better than a cold and over cook burger with a warm Coke???

I pack my own lunch. ;) Last 2 times i went out we stayed at our corners during the lunch hour.

LSTD and Ride Smart have Corner Work slots at every track day they do regardless of the track being run. Register early to get a spot.

RideSmart CW info:
RideSmart.Info

Lone Star Track Days CW Info:
Lone Star Track Days ::: Motorcycle Track Days in Texas

Like Hellgate I highly recommend it to see how things run at the track. I have done 3 CW days but this year will be my first track day. I know by heart what all the flags mean which may come in handy when I get on the track. :)

Cool - Thanks for the heads up.
Do you ask to be a "Corner Man" when you register?

Cool - Thanks for the heads up.
Do you ask to be a "Corner Man" when you register?

Just email them and tell them you want to do a corner work day and which day on the schedule you want to do it. When you e-mail them also give them your telephone number. They will call you one or two days before your scheduled CW day to confirm you are still coming. It is important because they cannot run the track day without enough corner workers. They take safety very seriously.

They will e-mail you your track day credit a few days after your corner work day.

I have heard many people recommed a track with wider lanes for their first track day. I have no idea if Cresson fits the bill or not. I selected Texas World Speedway (College Station) for my first track day because I know the lanes are wider than MSRH near Galveston.

Do you have an impression of Ridesmart vs. LSTD?

Back