which new tyres ?

zuma

hi all, bit of advice needed and probably been asked a 1000 times but..... thanks upfront, going touring round europe but need new tires, i ride a Yamaha 2009 fazer 1000, i want a good allrounder, good in the wet but fairly grippy in the dry, i'm looking at Michelin Pilot Road 4, anyone used them, good ? bad ? etc.....?

Hello Zuma , i have a few friends that have the PR 4. One rides a Super Tenere and the other two ride Honda ST's . All three love them and they ageed there best feature is how they handle in the rain and the mileage is way better than the PR3 . I test rode my friends Super Tenere with the PR 4 and they are as smooth as silk !!

I loved the PR3 , PR2 , and the pilot Power series , i love michelon tires and i have had a few that needed NO Weights !!
Now if high mileage is what your after im having good luck with the bridgestone T30 thanks to some board members recomendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't go wrong with the Pilot Road series if wet grip is what you're after. Every tire test and shootout I've seen has crowned them 'king of the wet'. I can certainly vouch for the Pilot Road 3 and the 4 are supposed to be even better.

As Lonney said, the Bridgestone T30 is another solid tire with good wet grip. I'd suggest the new T30 EVO as Bridgestone claims improved wet grip and tire life vs the regular T30.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
According to the chart I saw very recently (can't recall the source. Some euro mag) Pirelli angel GT are topping the list of the sport tourers.

According to the chart I saw very recently (can't recall the source. Some euro mag) Pirelli angel GT are topping the list of the sport tourers.

The Angel GT has been very well rated since it came out. I believe the chart you're referring to is one of Motorrad Magazine's very comprehensive ST tire shootouts. Here's an English-translated rundown of Motorrad's 2014 sport touring tire shootout: 2014 Motorrad Touring Motorcycle Tyre Test - TyreReviews

In this test, they rated the PR4 #1 but I remember seeing the Angels win a previous shootout, maybe 2013 before the PR4 and RAT2 Evo came out.

Last edited:
I have almost 10,000 miles on my PR4s and they still have life left in them. My next set are going to be PR4s for sure. I mean 10K miles and they still hold on wet roads.

Gone through sets of most tires for most types of bikes, most types riding. for the street on my fz1, PR4's for winter, Q3's for summer. Every set of PR4's i've used, i've drug a bit more peg off, done a few track days on and still get between 8-10k miles on each set. i live in seattle and for our many days of wet weather (historically not this drought filled year) and these tires work beautifully, have full confidence in them in the wet, and for canyon carving.

I have almost 10,000 miles on my PR4s and they still have life left in them. My next set are going to be PR4s for sure. I mean 10K miles and they still hold on wet roads.

Dam !! I think im gonna try these on the super tenere next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered Dunlop Roadsmart 2. The price I got was the main driver to choose Dunlop. 280 EUR per pair with mounting and balance.
PR 2 are very nice tires but they can't keep pressure and have to pump 'em every week or so.

Wow that's impressive .. I almost went from the pr3 to the 4 , but opted for the pr2 in the end ... Maybe next time

Wow that's impressive .. I almost went from the pr3 to the 4 , but opted for the pr2 in the end ... Maybe next time

I know I can get cheaper tires but the PR4s cost $330 for the set and my local shop charged me $100 to take the wheels off and mount the tires. So for $430 I had good tires for 10K. I think the economics speak for themselves.

Also the tires match my riding which mostly commuting and touring.

Back