Which Boots

Speed4341

Im still new to the motorcycle scene and so far have just been wearing leather work boots. It's def time for an upgrade.

I'm trying to decide between the Alpinestar Fast Lane, Alpinestar S-MX1, and TCX X-Cube(water proof) riding boots.
I know Alpinestar has a great reputation and i noticed that these boots both had toe "scrapers" but they are not water proof.
I really like the look of the X-Cubes and though I dont plan on riding in the rain you never know when a storm may pop up.

My main concerns are listed in order of my priority
1. Safety
2. Comfort
3. Styling
4. Longevity
5. Price

Please give me an info you guys have on these and any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Links to the boots

Fast Lanes- Alpinestars Fastlane Shoes :: MotorcycleGear.com
S-MX 1's- Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots - 2012 :: MotorcycleGear.com
X-Cube's- TCX X-Cube Waterproof Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

Thanks, Cameron:rmwl:

Last edited:
I wear touring boots with Gore-Tex liners. Always full length, always as armored as budget allows. I find the touring style (like my current TCX X-Five) are all-day comfortable and great to ride in

Out of the selection you've put up there, I'd say forget your S-MX 1's as they offer minimal safety, aren't comfortable to wear all day off the bike and aren't waterproof...
The TCX boots are going to offer you the best comfort and safety but I prefer to have two sets of boots, 1 to commute/short rides in and the other for track/hitting the twisty's.
Track and twisties- Alpinestars S-MX 5 Vented Boot - RevZilla
They're affordable, comfortable on and off the bike and provide a fair amount of support and safety. Not exactly a dedicated track boot but good for a mix of track and road imo.

For the commute and the fact I wear them while working, I bought these little beauty's - Dainese Technical Sneaker - RevZilla
They're about as good as you're going to get for what they call 'riding shoes' but really they're just sneakers with some plastic in them ;)

I will say that TCX are renowned for there safety and comfort so you wont regret the purchase of a pair of their boots.
My advice is to go and try a ton of boots on. Be sure that safety comes before 'cool' if these are going to be your dedicated riding boots.
Also, if you don't plan on riding in the rain and you do have that luxury...Don't buy waterproof boots! They don't vent and will be hot as all hell.
My 2c

I wear touring boots with Gore-Tex liners. Always full length, always as armored as budget allows. I find the touring style (like my current TCX X-Five) are all-day comfortable and great to ride in

SIDI are the best boots, IMO. Those are what I wear.

Yea, I too prefer the protection of a full length boot. Sidi does make some nice boots and while they can be expensive their sport-touring boots are reasonably priced.

I have a pair of Sidi Way Rain boots and love them. They are comfortable for all day wearing and broke in right away. They happen to be on sale since it looks like they are being discontinued:

Sidi Way Rain Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

Word of caution...they seem to run about a size too small and are not very wide so if you have wide feet forget about these.

Alpinestarts SMX - Great fit, especially for wide feet.

I'm currently using the SMX-5 for daily riding, usually I'm wearing leather pants, but I'll admit to wearing them with jeans when I take my wife out to dinner on the bike, or just heading out to lunch during the day at work.

I've also owned some Oxtar boots... now called TCX. I wore them for over 5 years of daily riding, walking, everything... All weather comfort... but it was a sport touring boot.

As for Sidi... they are fine for people that don't have unlimited budget, but I can't justify the price difference between the Alpinestars boots.

Another boot that I'm partial towards is the new ICON boots, they are sweet.

For all day riding you should buy the Icon boots I have for sale:Rockon: they definitely arent track boots though. They look awesome and seem to provide good protection. I have never worn them though so they are still brand new.

Icons are a good compromise for those that don't want a full length boot. I have a pair Tarmac boots and they are like wearing sneakers comfort wise, but have built in armor. Only drawback is that being nothing more than a high-top sneaker height wise there's no ship protection.

I really don't see those fancy riding shoes offering any benefit over a pair of steel-toe work boots. Your ankle will still snap like a twig in a crash and you'll probably still rash up your lower leg, bust your shin and so-on. Eek

For the price you pay for those Air Jordans with plastic armour, you really might as well buy a pair of full-length touring boots on clearance. They're not uncomfortable by any means, especially once they're broken in.

I once went snow shoeing in my TCX X-Five because I forgot to pack a change of shoes. It wasn't so bad ;)

Last edited:
I find having two pairs is better for me, I use one pair for track days and aggressive street rides / or sport ridding. The second pair I wear more for commuting back and forth to work and more casual riding, two up, groups rides etc.

This is my track day: boot TCX Competizione RS Boots Black from SportbikeTrackGear.com

This is my other boot: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4529 these are brand new and replaced this set:

SIDI Blade Boots from SportbikeTrackGear.com I had these four years and they really held up well to all kinds of riding, easy to walk in and comfortable. Unfortunately I kept draging the toe on my right boot due to to a leg foot issue I have from an old injury and it was time they had to go. Good luck with your search I dont think you can go wrong with a good dedicated riding boot.

Last edited:
I really don't see those fancy riding shoes offering any benefit over a pair of steel-toe work boots. Your ankle will still snap like a twig in a crash and you'll probably still rash up your lower leg, bust your shin and so-on. Eek

For the price you pay for those Air Jordans with plastic armour, you really might as well buy a pair of full-length touring boots on clearance. They're not uncomfortable by any means, especially once they're broken in.

I once went snow shoeing in my TCX X-Five because I forgot to pack a change of shoes. It wasn't so bad ;)

Dumped my '01 (being a dumbass), and it went down so fast, I didn't have a chance to get my leg out of the way. Any way, the bike was essentially lodged underneath my ankle. didn't hurt one bit thanks to my Sidi's. There's a lot more than just pretty padding on well built and dedicated riding boots.

In short, I swear by my Sidi's, and do not ride EVER without riding boots (not to mention the rest of the gear).

Price Versus Quality

I have champagne tastes and a beer wallet, providing it is cheap beer. I'd like to own some of the high end, name brand boots but, quite simply, I can't afford it.

I'm not partial to Cycle Gear's "BiLT" brand products and have turfed some out but their boots seem to be a good deal. I bought the BiLT TrackStar boots for $74.99 and thought they were pretty good. Then I bought the BiLT Hurricane waterproof touring boots for $79.95 and feel the same way.

They all come out of the same factories in Pakistan and the big difference appears to be how much extra you are willing to pay to change the label on the boots.

I have two pairs of BiLT boots and would buy more but I probably wouldn't buy their other products. DO NOT BUY unless at 50% off!

2_web1001106_68982_3.jpg

Sizing on these boots runs approximately one half (1/2) size small. Please order accordingly. If you are between two sizes, we suggest ordering the larger of the two sizes.

Ultra-tough, yet superbly priced. Provides excellent protection and ventilation, yet is functional enough for everyday use. All the features you demand, at a price that keeps your wallet fat and happy. Engineered for discriminating riders, who know great value when they see it.

Check out the whole Trackstar line from BiLT including the Trackstar 1-Piece Suit, Trackstar Boots, and Trackstar Gloves available exclusively from Cycle Gear!

BILT Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Boots - Street Gear - Cycle Gear

http://www.cyclegear.cohttp://www.c...egories/street-gear/mens-street-apparel/boots

Sorry, can't get pics on this item.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/hurricane_waterproof_motorcycle_boots/web1008361

Customer Comment:

I have almost every boot by Dainese and Sidi currently made. I, like a lot of people, never heard of Bilt. But when I got into some hardcore, very cold storm conditions, I bought these since it was raining and cold at that exact moment. The Dainese, and other brands like Alpinestars are sitting right next to them for double the price. I was able to compare build quality. I have over 36+ years and well over 300,000 miles in the saddle. These boots are made with excellent materials w/ A++ build quality. I already know from wearing them they will stand up just as good as my Sidi's, long term. They appear to have even been made by them. I have found these to work excellent with my WR, CRF and Kodiak off and on road, as well as street on my R1. They are very toasty in the cold. Very water proof. Easy to put on. The stitching is excellent, so is the protection.
I am very picky, hence the Dainese fetish. I promise you, you will not be disappointed with these in any way. I would have paid double and not thought anything about it.

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Last edited:
Made my decision

So... upon the recommendation of many members here i have decided to go with a pair of full length Sidi boots. I order the Cobra Air boots from my local dealer this afternoon and should have them within a few days. I did go a little over my anticipated budget but you guys made me realize that a safer boot it well worth the extra coin. I still believe that the price i paid is reasonable for what I'm getting. $250
sidi.jpg

My main concerns were
1- Safety- check
2- Comfort- Yet to be determined but from what everyone has told me, I should have no problems once broken in
3. Styling- I think these look pretty bad ass!
4- Longevity- To be determined
5- Price- Like I said, a little more than I intended to spend, but over all happy!

Heres a link to the boots on Sidi's website
SIDI

Dumped my '01 (being a dumbass), and it went down so fast, I didn't have a chance to get my leg out of the way. Any way, the bike was essentially lodged underneath my ankle. didn't hurt one bit thanks to my Sidi's. There's a lot more than just pretty padding on well built and dedicated riding boots.

In short, I swear by my Sidi's, and do not ride EVER without riding boots (not to mention the rest of the gear).

This is great info, thanks!

I have a set of Sidi Vertago boots Ive been using for four years now. All I can say is they really are awesome. I got them from a friend cheap who sold his bike and gear for cheap. I had never owned motorcycle specific street bike boots before and now after having them, I will never go without them! I know $300.00 but anyone who has a set will tell you the same thing. I see they make a goretex version now, but my regular ones with a little Scotchguard repel rain well enough. Riding is more comfortable and control is more precise and the protection is great although I thank god have not had to test crash worthyness. I have never tried other brands so others may be good? Does anyone out there know where I can get them resoled ect? I hear they can be rebuilt? My Buell's dirt bike like pegs chewed them up some. Thanks Guys

Back