What was it about the std levers/grips that made you buy new ones?

Just about any "Hobby" you can't justify spending any cash, That's why i just don't count, And now i have a 300Gallon saltwater fish tank in my living room wall(Wife was pissed when she came home and the wall was gone) for the winter months to spend my cash on, My tank cost me about 15K after all said and done.

I'm still trying to justify why I need to buy new levers. I haven't yet, and I like the black FDB ones. But apart from having a good looking set of levers on my bike, I can't think of any other reason.

So I'd like to ask you all what was it about the standard levers/grips that you didn't like? Did they hurt? not functional enough? etc...
Today after riding for a few hours my thumb on my right hand started to get sore. So I'm wondering if thicker grips might have helped out here? Have you experienced this?

Yea, the adjustable clutch lever was a must for me since I didn't like how the stock lever felt at all. The fact that my Pazzos also look good, well that's just a bonus ;)

Just about any "Hobby" you can't justify spending any cash, That's why i just don't count, And now i have a 300Gallon saltwater fish tank in my living room wall(Wife was pissed when she came home and the wall was gone) for the winter months to spend my cash on, My tank cost me about 15K after all said and done.

15K! Thats two track bikes... I'm with your wife on this one. lol

I had always questioned why people would want those crazy ass expensive levers. I'd ask and ask about the advantages but the usual response would always be bonus pose points & some would mention adjustability a bit. They are definitely nice looking, especially the Pazzos (who happen to be a local company actually).

I guess I'll stick to my $10 factory levers because none of my seven bikes have ever lacked reach & adjustment so much to the point that even my little size XS girl hands would have problems reaching the required bits.

Good to know!

They are pretty sexy though... I guess there's always the China knock-offs

Last edited:
Hey GPZ, just a couple of questions, do you know if there is an actual model number you buy to fit the FZ1 or are there just one size fits all. I'll swing by my local dealer today and ask I'd probably have to buy the ones for the heated grips though.

I got the standard length asv levers for their adjustability. Otherwise reaching the clutch was a bit of a challenge.

As for grips, i've used many different types over the last 2 decades on various bikes. I've found the grips by BMW to be the best out there. Excellent feel and decent feedback. They are more ergonomically correct - narrowed by the index/thumb, and tapered out. Finally, they easily last 3-4 times longer than the regular progrip crap. I can get a good 40K+ miles out of a set (2 seasons), vs barely getting several months from the progrips.

They don't cost a whole lot more.. ~$20/set from the local bmw dealer.

GripsVolts.JPG

levers and grips

I personally like the factory levers but not the grips so much. My son bought me some standard length vortex levers and pro grip grips. I have to say i really like them. The grips are comfy and "grippy":rmwl: and the levers are adjustable, work good and also look very coool.
By the way, new member here been a lurker for a while. This site helped me make up my mind on a new 2009 FZ1 last summer, cobalt blue. I love this machine.

Romr, there is a part #, but I don't have it off hand. Most bmw dealers know exactly what you want when you tell 'em it's for a jap bike. 7/8" bar with the open ends. I originally got turned on to these on the COG board when I had the c14. Halfway into the season I had already torn up a set of progrips (8-9K miles on the bike). The replacement bmw grips went with the bike when I traded it in at 35K miles.

These should be the correct part numbers:

Left: 32721458395
Right: 32721458396

Open ended to fit 7/8 handlebars. Most recent bike would have been the 2000 R1100

I am seriously considering these, I love the idea of a tapered grip for my small hands

Had a tipover when I lost my footing on a slope. Broke the tip off the clutch lever.
So that was excuse enough for me to go with a new set of levers. FDB Pazzo knockoffs.

And yes... I coulda gotten a new stock clutch lever. But the knockoffs looked cool, so... :p

I have ASV shorties and love them. I got them because I wanted adjustable reach to the clutch to compensate for my short fingers. They do also look really cool.

jusr replaced my stockers with the china knockoffs,they look awesome.Haven't been able to find any grips I like the look of so still running stock for now.If i was buying high buck levers I would go with the ASV's

So I recently rode a friend's bike that has the Pazzo levers and I was very impressed with the feel of them. It's hard to describe exactly why, but they just had a nice lever feel. It was enough to motivate me to buy some knock-offs from Fire Dragon Brothers for $50.

I needed backup levers anyway for my trip in the summer, aftermarket OEM levers are $20 and I may as well spend an extra $30 on these and give it a go.

As far as grips go, I have the Yamaha brand Gel grips and I couldn't believe how much nicer they were to ride with. The adjustability, looks, and feel are my reasons for replacing my levers.

Where did you find Yamaha brand gel grips? I don't see them on the yamaha site...

Thanks!

I change out the levers for the looks (nothing looks cheaper than the pot metal ones you get as stock), and for the full adjustability. I like the ASV's because they are designed and made in the USA and the deep, rich anodizing seems to hold up long term whereas the cheaper ones seem to fade after awhile. I have ASV F3's on the bike now which are a "cheaper" version of their C/5 lever ($180/pr vs $250/pr). The F3's are forged vs. CNC construction for the C/5 series, but the mechanical parts (holders, springs, etc) are the same. I had the more expensive C/5's on my FZ6 but can't tell any tactile difference between the two and the functions are the same.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back