What was it about the std levers/grips that made you buy new ones?

I'm still trying to justify why I need to buy new levers. I haven't yet, and I like the black FDB ones. But apart from having a good looking set of levers on my bike, I can't think of any other reason.

So I'd like to ask you all what was it about the standard levers/grips that you didn't like? Did they hurt? not functional enough? etc...
Today after riding for a few hours my thumb on my right hand started to get sore. So I'm wondering if thicker grips might have helped out here? Have you experienced this?

5 reasons for new levers:

No.1 They look cool
No.2 You can adjust for your hand span
No.3 They look cool
No.4 You can adjust the clutch friction point to wherever you want
No.5 Did I mention that they look cool?

As far as grips go, I have the Yamaha brand Gel grips and I couldn't believe how much nicer they were to ride with. The adjustability, looks, and feel are my reasons for replacing my levers.

Scotty, I learned from a motorcycle salesman one should not try to justify the purchase of a bike or aftermarket parts because the guilt will get to you.
Instead just buy and like it! I have the ASV Shorty levers and really like them for their adjustability and ease of use. Plus just like Ballmead said they look cool too :)

I haven't done this yet at all. I've always ridden with stock grips and levers. If I upgrade the grips, it will be because I bought Oxford Heated. If I replace the levers, it will be because Ballmead says it looks cool. :D

I don't usually replace grips on my bikes. The majority of replacement grips out there are stylized for off-road/motorcross.

No matter what, I'd always go all black; colored grips will only get dirty or generally look goofy.

But grips are cheap. ~$15. Just don't cut your stock grips off, spray WD-40 down the inside and use an ice-pick to help free the stock glue. They slide off with a little bit of work, but at least they aren't ruined.

1. I got the Driven grips, I have 0 hand fatigue and thumb pain, where I used to. AND they look cool.
2. I installed the FDB shorty levers. I dont care for the long levers (personal preference) and they are adjustable. Its awesome to be able to adjust where you want your levers to be, and it also cuts down on hand fatigue.
AND they look cool. :)

Im with Ballmead on the levers and I'll checkout some gel grips. The stock grips for me do need upgrading. My levers are TITAX racing shortys in blue anodize with gold adjusters, they look cool and work well.

I got the levers for their adjustability because I have little girl hands. I got black on black because they looked cool. I got FDB because I don't have the money for the ASVs. I'm growing tired of all the black so I just ordered some blue ones with black adjusters from tobyching because they're blue looked darker than anyone elses on eBay! A chinese lever is a chinese lever right?

I got the gel grips because they looked cool and discovered they felt better than OEM and my hands stopped getting tired. I'll never keep oem grips again!

Scotty, I learned from a motorcycle salesman one should not try to justify the purchase of a bike or aftermarket parts because the guilt will get to you.
Instead just buy and like it! I have the ASV Shorty levers and really like them for their adjustability and ease of use. Plus just like Ballmead said they look cool too :)

I was thinking about the ASV s/levers........I take it you like them?

I also agree with your view about not trying to justify aftermarket purchases.....you never will because in reality we really don't need to change anything in our bikes!

I'm still looking at grips myself. I have it narrowed down to two different models but I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your levers. I bought my Gen 1 used and the previous owner had already upgraded the clutch with an adjustable clutch. It freaking rules!!!! LOL I mean I love it!!!! To be able to adjust the tension it takes to pull in the clutch seems like a small convenience but I can say that it is one of the best upgrades on my bike.

I got the standard length asv levers for their adjustability. Otherwise reaching the clutch was a bit of a challenge.

As for grips, i've used many different types over the last 2 decades on various bikes. I've found the grips by BMW to be the best out there. Excellent feel and decent feedback. They are more ergonomically correct - narrowed by the index/thumb, and tapered out. Finally, they easily last 3-4 times longer than the regular progrip crap. I can get a good 40K+ miles out of a set (2 seasons), vs barely getting several months from the progrips.

They don't cost a whole lot more.. ~$20/set from the local bmw dealer.

GripsVolts.JPG

I think you found something good Missy. I was stuck trying to decide on what colors to use and the Driven Grips let you mix/match and change things up. These are really cool.

They also have that thinner part on the inside of the grip, that contour is really comfy! I like em a lot more then the progrips I had before.

ASV shorties for me. I prefer the adjustment range and I feel like I have better feel on the front brake with shorter levers when braking with two fingers as the outside edge of my middle finger is against the ball on the end of the grip and is therefore indexed to the same position everytime and it can't slide down the lever.

I wanted an adjustable clutch lever. I have short, stubby sausage fingers, so the adjustable lever makes it much more comfortable, and it has allowed me to set the clutch engagement point closer to the bar. I went with full length Fire Dragon Brothers in gold and black adjusters. The Pazzo gold matches the forks, but the FDB's are a bit light to totally match. I still feel they were worth it for the price difference. Pazzos have a navy blue set of levers that look like they would be good with the cobalt blue bike. I'm considering some shorty levers too, just to try them. At $35 a set (vs. $200) I feel it's not a big deal to have a few sets to switch around. (plus the Gen II levers fit the FZ6R and the FZ8).

I was surprised how much better the new levers feel compared to the stock levers. Oh, and they look kewl too. :hook2:

I haven't messed with my grips yet, but the gel grips are sounding like a good choice. I've considered heated grips too, but I really don't want to mess with the wiring. I'm sure it's not as bad as I think, but I'm not so great with a wrench :(

Back