What rpm's do you ride in?

4k for around town in moving traffic. The rest is 100% variable. Passing on the highway? 7500+ in whatever gear it takes to reach that, typically 3rd and sometimes 4th.

I'm having to re-learn all this with Ivan's flash though because it is a game changer!

4k for around town in moving traffic. The rest is 100% variable. Passing on the highway? 7500+ in whatever gear it takes to reach that, typically 3rd and sometimes 4th.

I'm having to re-learn all this with Ivan's flash though because it is a game changer!

Im just curious where other FZ1 riders are keeping it on the tac? I typically ride in the 6-7k range. How about you?
You have some pretty low gearing so I am sure it will be different for you than most. I find that a hard question to answer because I am all over the RPM range depending on where I am at and what I am doing.

I typically ride between idle and redline on all my bikes
:doh2:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should have been more specific and asked what rpm you "cruise" in or enjoy riding in the most. I was also hoping to hear from a few more members of Ivans reflash and how that effects where you need to keep it for optimum performance. Unless its a double yellow I dont need to downshift to pass when keeping it at 7k, unless i feel like doing it one wheeled;) My 16/47 gearing is only a factor in the time it takes to reach the higher rpm's, an upshift quickly changes that. Even with 16/47 I rarely find myself using 6th gear. The bike seems happier in the higher rpm range, it sounds better, performs phenomenally and shifts more smoothly there. I know if I knocked it down a few K I could get better gas milage. But its just more fun riding right under the power band. Its rare for me to get on the FZ1 and not hit triple digits and take it right up to the redline. Please don't flame me on being unsafe I don't ride this way 2up or in any traffic and I always ATGATT. I think Im being fairly smart about it, (no tickets.....yet!) Im wondering if I'm the rule or exception on this particular bike. So far seems I'm the exception.....

I find around town I ride around 3k-4k and on the highway it's 4k-5k. I've been puttzing it around lately. Nice gas mileage. I do tend to find 12k on occasion so I remember what the bike can do. If I'm on a twisty, I like to keep it around 6k-9k. With 2 up, I use the lowest usable rpm for smoother rides.

I have a basically stock '07. The throttle snatch is annoying, but I've been able to deal with it for the most part.

I typically ride between idle and redline on all my bikes

1376332723_costanza-wink.gif
David-Letterman-s-gifs-kristen-stewart-13433625-350-225.gif

Last edited:
Around town I can be anywhere between 3 to 8K depending on the speed limit and traffic.

On the road cruising about 4 to 5K.

What's throttle snatch? My 2012 seems to be smooth on throttle up and down unless I jerk the grip.

My fz1 is usually at 6k rpm while occasionaly going near redline as i usually only do a sport touring pace on it while i do my spirited rides on my much quicker zx10r.

Top gear 4k RPM is 60 MPH. Not that I don't use the upper ranges for the twisties and racing, unless you normally cruise and 100, why would you normally use 6-7k RPM?

____
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Pyrogenic

Back