What Location is this alarming photo?

I remember seeing a sign like that when we did the three sisters but I cannot remember if it was 336 north of leaky or 337 east of Leaky. Last time we were out there someone died on 336 and we ended up having to turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing a sign like that when we did the three sisters but I cannot remember if it was 336 north of leaky or 337 east of Leaky. Last time we were out there someone died on 336 and we ended up having to turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah that sucks! Yep, one time when I was out there, there was an ambulance out there. Not sure what happened but I turned around before completing the twisted sisters loop. Probably should have, but didn't check for what the incident was then (last month?). I know there was some moisture on the road though.....required extra care.

I knew one of you guys would recognize that sign! It is east of Leakey.....about middle between Vanderpool to Leakey Texas on westbound side of road on 337. To the left is a designated "picnic area". There is another similar sign of different number of moto deaths on the loop......I think 336 or 335. I haven't ever stopped at that one.

Can't wait till the group ride out there in April! (I've been doing some solo rides since I'm about 3 + hours away in north Austin. Vacation is awesome.) :D:tup:

Fm 337

Between Vanderpool and Leakey and just after you cross the Bandera County line. Westbound for Leakey, Texas.

Many riders think they can take a "slow to 20" corner at 40 when they can't see far enough ahead to know that there is rockfall debris on the road or some dork 4-wheeler coming around the same corner in their lane.

Some of our contributors have described this road as "challenging" but the only thing "challenging" about it is how far ahead you are willing to ride than your vision allows.

Last edited:
10 dead in 5 years?
More people die of heart disease in the US every min......

Yeah, but not on the same short piece of road and it's not the roads fault.

In Flight School, I was taught that "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots" and that piece of road instills that.

There is no good reason to die on that road unless you are critically stupid and produce too much testosterone for your own well being.

Are you faster than me into a blind corner posted at 15 MPH?

Hey, you were! And I'll mention that in your eulogy.

In Flight School, I was taught that "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots" and that piece of road instills that.

That quote must be all purpose depending on the occupation, when I graduated with a Mining Engineering degree and went to work in my first job as an engineering trainee in an 8,000 ft deep gold mine the first thing I was told was, "there are old miners and there are bold miners" ... etc, etc. The core principal being lack of experience and taking chances is a big contributor to bad outcomes in life.

Route 16 from Medina to Kerrville has some bad curves as well as it climbs up over the hills into Kerrville, throw in some lousy pavement and poor road alignment, and inattentive cage drivers and you have to watch what you are doing.

Last edited:
Between Vanderpool and Leakey and just after you cross the Bandera County line. Westbound for Leakey, Texas.

Many riders think they can take a "slow to 20" corner at 40 when they can't see far enough ahead to know that there is rockfall debris on the road or some dork 4-wheeler coming around the same corner in their lane.

Some of our contributors have described this road as "challenging" but the only thing "challenging" about it is how far ahead you are willing to ride than your vision allows.

LOL
You just can't let me go can you ;)

Yeah, 16 from Kerrville to Medina is a good one.

Possibly one of my favorite roads is 473 that picks up from 32 a good way past Devil's Backbone going west and goes all the way to Comfort, I believe, before requiring a road change enroute to Medina & westward.

16 going into Kerville is a good road. That last sharp S turn is really challenging.

One of the most disappointing roads I have driven lately was going through Devil's Backbone. Ranch Road 12 goes from San Marcos to the 281 exchange and it offered some great roads with incredible scenery.
Last time I was in San Marcos - I took off on 12 and was thinking that traffic would let up as I got out of town - or at least past Wimberly. NOPE!!! It was solid traffic all the way.
I was so disappointed that I turned around and tried again. Same result. That is too bad because that was a great road to drive down in either a car or a motorcycle.

Yep, 12 often has a lot of traffic. Good road from 3238/12 down to 32, but traffic sucks most the time.

I recently explored a little bit.....If heading southward, an option is to go down 12, then take 2325 west--just prior to Wimberly proper, then south on fischer store rd [aka CR 181] (but it has tight canyon corners--go slow), to pick up 32. [However, you wind up west of Devils Backbone at that point. But you do bypass traffic clusterfk via Wimberly...] Then going west on 32 from there you can grab 473! Great road.

Back