What did you do to your FZ today?

Just make sure you scrub them in before you get crazy!
That's the plan for tomorrow or wednesday, depending on my brother and when I actually touch the tires.:yes:

Well if you want to be creative you can tape off the rest of the screen and paint the inside of the lower section flat black. Another option is to find someone local with a bead blaster and again after taping off the rest of the screen bead blast the bottom. Should give you that same frosted effect...or you can just leave it like it is ;)

I'll probably just leave it as is. Besides, maybe I can mount one of the cameras there.

I painted my rad covers and they came out terrible up close but don't look too bad from far away. I think I'm done with creative for a while.

Adjusted the spring preload

Felt the tail wanting to go another direction on long corners at high speed (220 ~ 250 KM/h), decided to adjust the back spring preload to 5 from stock 3, did wonders and feels much more controllable on corners, feels great..

New Battery Installed

I ran out today from work over to the dealer to pick up my new battery. I wound up getting the factory Yuasa GT14B-4 instead of going for another brand. I know I paid much more but I couldn't wait another week to have one shipped to me. I must have called 4 places today from work with no luck. The dealer was my last resort. I'm off tomorrow and have already missed 3 bike nights with the fork problem and I have the March Of Dimes Biker's For Babies Ride this Sunday so I wound up at the Yamaha dealer.

Unless the P.O. had also gone with the Factory battery, this is probably the original battery that I took out today. If thats the case, it went almost 9 years. Not too shabby! I at least have peace of mind knowing that I'm good for another 4 or 5 years, maybe longer as I always plug in all year long. It keeps the battery conditioned and makes it last longer.

It's got to be a great feeling to get all the work on your bike sorted out Billy. Nice to have a relaxing ride without a concern of something going wrong and the ride being cut short. Glad to hear!!

I just commuted with her once again today. There's not much along the lines of planned mods for the remainder of this year. I still have to put in the SpeedoDRD that she got me for Father's Day, just have not had any "me" time at all. Perhaps I'll take an hour this weekend and get it installed and then ride to calibrate it. :D Me, the GPS and some open roads.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Bike is finally ready to roll

Bike is at 42000 km so valve check was due, dealer quoted 850$ plus rad flush and new antifreeze for 150$, recommended fork oil flush and rear suspension pivot points disassemble and lube 450$ and of course a new chain and sprockets for 500$ installed.
I had sticker shock when the service manager totalled up the quote and decided to do it myself.
Just struck me as fiscally irresponsible to spend 2 grand on a bike worth 4500$. Now it makes sense when I see a lot of bikes for sale at around 40000 km as people are deciding to upgrade instead of doing the major servicing.

Checked the valves all were within factory spec just had to buy narrow feeler gauges from starrett, New anti freeze from napa and closed it up.
DID chain and JT sprockets tax in 285 had to buy a motion pro chain riveter for 100$, put a 10 thou squish on the master link and assembled the swing arm and suspension packing all pivot points with chevron ultra duty ep 2.
Front forks came off easy, dumped out the old flushed with new oil, drained and refilled with new 40$.
Tires are pirrelli diablo corsa 111 for 340 tax in, install is 30 bux a rim, the tires are in my basement and will go on in a month.

The provincial government here in BC has new laws for speeding 20 km over gets you a 196$ ticket, 40 km over gets a 396$, 60 km over gets you a 596$ and a new charge is street racing where they seize your bike, suspend your licence for 2 weeks and charge you storage on your impounded bike 35$ per day.
But wait there is more 40KM over and you have earned the title of a high risk driver a 500$ per year additional premium for the next 3 years.
Get caught at 60 km over it will cost you 3000$ over the next 3 years, with the potential of our bikes, one has to be very very careful where you have your fun.

Yesterday I did the brakes.

:shoot::shoot:Tonight it's the plugs any one got any special ways of doing the plugs as it looks like a mission !!!!!!

The provincial government here in BC has new laws for speeding 20 km over gets you a 196$ ticket, 40 km over gets a 396$, 60 km over gets you a 596$ and a new charge is street racing where they seize your bike, suspend your licence for 2 weeks and charge you storage on your impounded bike 35$ per day.
But wait there is more 40KM over and you have earned the title of a high risk driver a 500$ per year additional premium for the next 3 years.
Get caught at 60 km over it will cost you 3000$ over the next 3 years, with the potential of our bikes, one has to be very very careful where you have your fun.

Plenty of good race tracks available in BC, well at least a few. Still the safest, smartest, and cheapest (when you look at the above costs) to "have your fun".

Installed Give quick release sidecase racks (PLXR359), Givi V35 bags, Admore V35 LED lighting kit.

Lots of pics of these already here.

Good stuff,

MrHix

OK,

Pics 1,2, & 3 are just off, tail, and brake. 4 shows the quick release plug. 5 shows the stock turnsignale moved. Bag lights also work as turnsignals and hazard flashers.

MrHix

Last edited:
Thanks Hix. Nice job on the bags. Are those LED's new?, because if they are, you have one or two individual bulbs out on the left side case. Regardless, thats a nice set-up.

Don't ever hesitate to post up some shots of your work. There is always something that you may have done differently than other guys that will help out the next person. :tup:

Thanks for posting them.

Yea,

There is one LED burned out on the left. I e-mailed Admore and they have a new left-case LED in the mail! Good folks to work with if you don't mind their lack of phone contact.

Cheers,

MrHix

Took the FZ1 out for the first time in a month. Have had no chance to ride between vacation, busy weekends and rainy Fridays.

Got my SS brake lines installed at my local shop while I was out.

Rode her again today lol.

Also learned how to use my center stand! Makes it a LOT easier getting it out of the shed now that I dont have to like squeak by it, plenty of room with it standing striaght up!

Hauled her to the dealer....ugh...Dead stator, I'm 99.9% sure. I'm told these may be back ordered for 4 weeks. This is beginning to sound like my old Buell!

At least my bicycles are all working! :stunta]:

RE: FZ1 today

Well, , , , I'm cleaning and inspecting the FZ today. You know, just the usual things. Complete washing, waxing, and minor detailing. Cleaned and adjusted the chain, then applied the chain wax. Added some air to the front tire and the rear pressure was fine. But, as I checked the wheels and tires over (I even cleaned the tires with Windex during inspection), I can't seem to find any of those neat little sticky 'balls' of rubber, or any of the linear rubber edge-cuffs that Va and some of the other guys manage to have adhering to the sides of their tires ?! mmmhhh. My Shinko's actually look great. So. mmmhhhh.
Either my Shinko's are defective, (they have just shy of 1000 mi. on them) or my riding style is mucho-super conservative.
Personally, I don't think it's the tires at all. I think it's me . . . . . of course.

What's that my dear? why yes, I do happen to have all of your new kitchen towels out here in the shop. No,no. I would never use them to clean my FZ. . . . .mmmhhhhh. Yes. I have the Windex too.

Put on the 16t front and DRD. Cleaned it gassed it and went to the hill via the Cherehala Skyway and back in 95 degree heat. A great day!

A nice change, I really think it should have come geared that way from the factory. It's not a huge change from stock but you do notice it.

Back