What did you do to your FZ today?

RE: Pics of the repairs/upgrades

OK-Guys, , , Here are the pics of the replacement parts (that I have installed to-date), and, the mods that I promised to post. I am still waiting on the (new) Black front cowling, and the left side engine cover, along with the GRAVES flushmounts. The pics show the new bar-ends, the new frame sliders, the new LED (DOT) rear turn signals, the paint prep and repainting of the left side of the fuel tank and the repairs to the left side of the tail-section. ( I went cheap and used Rustoleum Gloss-Black. The scratches and dents were small, and, as they were pretty minor, and I was able to blend them in pretty well. I used alot of 2000G wet/dry sanding, alot of rubbing compound and alot of cleaner/wax under the buffer. )
I also took some picks of the pod mod installation too-(works great, thanks guys!) I even added an extra pig-tail to each pod-install. I will hook up a seperate set of bright- LED indicator(s) on the inner fairings (out wide), that will blink with the flushmount turn signals. This will hopefully help me to remember to turn off the signal, after completing my turn ! ( I know there is a beeper-mod for this, but this is just so easy , , ,)
I also took some pics of my garage door opener-(12V) that is now hard wired to the vehicle battery, and, connected to the horn spades. That way, as I approach the garage, I beep the horn, and the door goes up (or down)! I located it under the fuel tank and it works real well. ( Note: I had it installed on my Yamaha R1 until I sold it, now it's on the FZ1 ! )
My road rash is almost gone. And, the knee is healing quickly now.
Now, where are my missing parts. . . . .

Not much, soldered and heatshrinked the tail electrical connections for the integrated taillight and turn signals replacing the initial crude splices I made.

4573574806_3b580944ea_b.jpg

And got some additional ideas for underseat storage which I posted in a separate thread: http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7863-gen-ii-undertail-storage-ideas.html

RE: What's been done-FZ

As I wait for the replacement parts to arrive, I wanted to say that I really enjoy the MC-lift that I got from Harbor Freight. Little did I know that I would need it so quickly ! However, it works great (for the price) and has made the subsequent repairs to the FZ1 much easier. Here are some pics.
Also in the garage:
The HF lift. ( I bought it used, but it was essentially brand new)
The 1990 GL-1500 Goldwing
The 1992 Yamaha gas cart
The 2006 HD Screamin Eagle Heritage Classic
The 2001 Yamaha FZ1
Now, where are my missing parts . . . .

As I wait for the replacement parts to arrive, I wanted to say that I really enjoy the MC-lift that I got from Harbor Freight. Little did I know that I would need it so quickly ! However, it works great (for the price) and has made the subsequent repairs to the FZ1 much easier. Here are some pics.
Also in the garage:
The HF lift. ( I bought it used, but it was essentially brand new)
The 1990 GL-1500 Goldwing
The 1992 Yamaha gas cart
The 2006 HD Screamin Eagle Heritage Classic
The 2001 Yamaha FZ1
Now, where are my missing parts . . . .

Is there such a condition as garage envy? Because I think I have it. What a beautifully organized garage and 3 great rides. What can I say? I'm not worthy.

Unpacked goodies

Picked up the Sub Cowl or "Chin Fairing" after work. Unpacked it to have a look see. Might install tomorrow night if I have time. I have a dishwasher to work on first.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Anyone worried about extra weight added to the bike, need not. It is next to nothing.

Picked up the Sub Cowl or "Chin Fairing" after work. Unpacked it to have a look see. Might install tomorrow night if I have time. I have a dishwasher to work on first.
Anyone worried about extra weight added to the bike, need not. It is next to nothing.

Yes, it's very light as were the sport scoops. Install should take no more than 10 minutes, it's that easy. Just be careful tightening the oil pan bolts back on. You don't want to snap one of them off ;)

Not much going on at my end again.

Fitted a set of HEL braided brake lines and gave it a much needed wash :tup:

I still need to fit the smog plates and get the PCV sorted.

I'm still waiting for my HEL lines to get to the house, should be in the next day or two.

Did you use a vacuum bleeder or just do it the old fashioned way?

Installed my new to me slip-on
DSCF3100.JPG

Pics with exhaust sounds

Cleaned the headers:
DSCF3113.JPG

Tested to see if soft saddlebags would fit over mounting plate for top case so I wouldn't have to modify the mount:
DSCF3120.JPG

Waiting for Daddy to come by so I can do the test ride with new pipe and bags mounted and test my modified ciggy box mini dv case to see if I still have vibes in the cam or need to just accept it as a helmet cam.

Last edited:
Not much.....Just had a few beers and cleaned.....keep speculating what paint style i'm gonna have done......I like the Abarth FZ1 a lot but also like the 06 sriped one........Its going to be mostly black with white though....I just can't make up my mind

Installed my new to me slip-on
DSCF3100.JPG

Cleaned the headers:
DSCF3113.JPG

Tested to see if soft saddlebags would fit over mounting plate for top case so I wouldn't have to modify the mount:
DSCF3120.JPG

Waiting for Daddy to come by so I can do the test ride with new pipe and bags mounted and test my modified ciggy box mini dv case to see if I still have vibes in the cam or need to just accept it as a helmet cam.

Looks great. I see you managed to get the saddle bags to work with your new seat/top box.

Looks great. I see you managed to get the saddle bags to work with your new seat/top box.

Yep. It was more a worry than an actual problem. After I finally finished stapling the seat cover to the pan, I was sitting there looking at it an realized they should fit under the box but on top of the plate. Put 'em on and they fit without any troubles.

First time I've ever worked on my bike and didn't have to :rant: once!

Back