What did you do to your FZ today?

Pulled the Speedo Healer, tomorrow the Fz is getting traded off for a new ride :popcorn: Took her out for some neck whip'n ride today but the back is not letting me ride her much any more.
n

Dressed her back up a couple of weeks ago. Really couldn't stand the single headlight for early morning commutes. Went out for a glorious Autumn days ride today.

DSCF0091.jpg

Finally took my bike out for a ride with my dad after getting overhauled all winter.... rode around 120 ish miles today

Power wise - all i can say is that doing Ivan's FCU, 16t sprocket and exhaust all at once really changed the character of the bike - its an absolute monster from 4k onwards now.... the shorter gearing im not entirely sure on yet - it def rips, but for longer rides itd be nice to bring the revs down a bit....

Suspension wise - the new ohlins internals in the front forks totally change the feel of the bike also... i didnt do any rear suspension changes and i can feel the weakness of the rear setup now - that said the front on my bike is very stiff currently, and over higher speed bumps and irregularities it did feel a bit hairy..... itll be great for the track but gonna have to dial in the suspension a bit better for street riding (i think a steering stabilizer may help this also?)

Rearsets - The sato rearsets are definitely a more aggressive but still comfortable (no issue with 120 miles today). The shifts feel much more solid -- quickshifting (let off throttle slightly with preloaded shifter and shifting into higher gear) happens pretty easily - but im not sure if this is bad for the bike so i have still been using the clutch...

Brakes - R1 master cylinder and stainless lines definitely improved the brakes for this bike, it feels as if the lever is much firmer, but easier to control as a result - the braking force is more linear and easier to control..... that said with the 16t sprocket i feel like the engine braking increased as much as the acceleration did and that means in the sweeping twisties i never really needed to use the brakes much at all - when a lady thought about turning left in front of me however i did have to give the front and rears a good squeeze and they felt very planted and reassuring.

fuel consumption seems to have increased (fewer miles before refill) - not sure if the bike is just running richer, if the 16t is causing the increased consumption or if the tune for more power is causing this...... i feel like i read somewhere on the forums that people were actually seeing improved fuel economy with ivans tune so im not sure what to think.

the new headlight LEDs def improve visibility, the new blinkers are also definitely more visible.... the bike looks much lighter and faster without the massive stock exhaust.....

all in all, im very happy with everything and cant wait to ride tomorrow :) (id post a pic but my bike is filthy in it so maybe later this week haha)

Finally got out with Ray and his buddy Derek for the first ride of the year. Put on about 110 miles today and scrubbed in the new T30's. I'm used to the Bridgestones so nothing new to report. Turn in is great, as is grip and overall feel. I did notice however, with the 55 on instead of the 50, my chicken strips are enormous!! LOL! Some pics from today:

Met Ray at his house early this morning
IMG_1275_zpskkfnztgn.jpg

First stop for breakfast up in Graymoor, NY
IMG_1277_zps8iwx5ewx.jpg

IMG_1278_zpscjz5jsa4.jpg

Up on Perkins was a nice Moto Guzzi
IMG_1280_zpsffexwcqs.jpg

A nice Kawi GPX750R
IMG_1282_zpssn0dn6pz.jpg

IMG_1284_zpsagn5xayh.jpg

Ray trying to decide which GoPro to use
IMG_1281_zpsjvjgwczr.jpg

My 09' up on Perkins for the first time in 2015
IMG_1283_zpsaqsrt6rh.jpg

An old Norton Commando 850
IMG_1286_zps76rd0xvj.jpg

Is was a great start to the new season!

Last edited:
fuel consumption seems to have increased (fewer miles before refill) - not sure if the bike is just running richer, if the 16t is causing the increased consumption or if the tune for more power is causing this...... i feel like i read somewhere on the forums that people were actually seeing improved fuel economy with ivans tune so im not sure what to think.

If you used the PCV map Ivan sends out, it will be richer. His map didn't suit my bike so I had it tuned by a local tuner who reduced the fuel quite a bit and the result is even more amazing. My bike absolutely hauls.

If you used the PCV map Ivan sends out, it will be richer. His map didn't suit my bike so I had it tuned by a local tuner who reduced the fuel quite a bit and the result is even more amazing. My bike absolutely hauls.

thanks for the input, my mechanic made a comment about it being better to run a bike rich than lean as it helps the engine run cooler and thus less wear... but i feel as if mine might be running TOO rich.... how much will the a/f ration change as the weather gets hotter? i assume with colder air you get a denser air, this relatively leaner mixture - could the temp at which the bike was tuned be effecting this?

It will run leaner in cooler air as the air condenses and the volume of air holds more O2 molecules when cold. I don't know how much the weather affects this though.

I know the end of my can went from silver to black with soot after one 45 minute ride after I put Ivan's map in. After the tune and a clean it is still silver.

It will run leaner in cooler air as the air condenses and the volume of air holds more O2 molecules when cold. I don't know how much the weather affects this though.

I know the end of my can went from silver to black with soot after one 45 minute ride after I put Ivan's map in. After the tune and a clean it is still silver.

Hey Dicko i thought engines ran fatter in the colder weather ? I know mileage drops because of warm up time but the average MPG drops at least a couple . [emoji111]

With my 2 stroke race engines, we richen them up slightly in cooler weather due to the more dense air. We sometimes richen the fuel mix up in hot weather to get more fuel through to cool the engines down, but this means they run rich and produce more soot in the exhaust.

It's the old pressure volume temperature equation. For a given pressure if you heat the gas it will expand. similarly if you increase the pressure at a given temperature it will compress. Now in winter we increase the pressure and reduce the temperature, so we compress the air more so more O2 molecules are in the same volume of air, this means you will need more fuel to burn the same ratio. This doesn't take into account humidity.

With my 2 stroke race engines, we richen them up slightly in cooler weather due to the more dense air. We sometimes richen the fuel mix up in hot weather to get more fuel through to cool the engines down, but this means they run rich and produce more soot in the exhaust.

It's the old pressure volume temperature equation. For a given pressure if you heat the gas it will expand. similarly if you increase the pressure at a given temperature it will compress. Now in winter we increase the pressure and reduce the temperature, so we compress the air more so more O2 molecules are in the same volume of air, this means you will need more fuel to burn the same ratio. This doesn't take into account humidity.

Sounds good to me! :confused:

Just got done installing my 08 R1 shock and satan adapter. Install was very easy with the included instructions. Longest part was the little bit of filing to make the adapter fit perfect. Still waiting to get my front forks back from Traxxion with the AK-20 upgrade before I can test it out. Can't wait!!!

shock1.jpg shock4.jpg

shock3.jpg shock2.jpg

chinese case guards showed up. everything fit perfectly. look pretty good too. will hopefully never have to give a report on how well they work or not
photo 4.jpgphoto 3.jpg

also bought axle sliders...went with blue to match my free spools that ended up being blue too
photo 1 (2).jpg

and well...the r1 front end...uses different sliders, since it's solid on both ends...so if anyone wants blue front axle sliders, i have the front half just chillin
photo 2 (2).jpg

OK, the FZ1 is an Animal of a machine and loved it till it left my side. The back won't allow me to do long rides and I wanted to make that happen but nope. So for 2 years I've been looking, I can ride my DRZ400s all over the place and do fine, so it's an up right body thing for me. Had about 10K in that bike, there ALL $$ Pits. I new I would NEVER get it back. That said, some guys at work had just ran to Oregon, and picked up a couple of 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere's. I sat on one last Wed and the deal was done, I have to have one. Looking on C/L I found some 13's and (1) 14 about 90 minutes South, I called on it and it was going to be mine. It happened so fast I didn't have time to pull all the stuff off it. They didn't care if it was stock or not. I did take the S/H off and the wind screen and there for sale. So here's my new Baby. Just added side protection today and a new Yoshi slip on is on it's way. I will NOT take this thing trail hopping. You all are great people here, I will keep lurking like I do, Peace.

Will be looking forward to it Dustin, OK it's a 2014 Super Tenere. Now has 8 miles on it, start riding to work tomorrow. Nothing like 03:00 am rides on the free way. I need to rack up 600 miles, So I can change the oil's. Like the Fz was. Will post a pic of the screen and SH next few days.

Back