What did you do to your FZ today?

Home after a 1355km ride, bike unpacked and cleaned and now it is time to relax.

This is the first time I've taken a bike down to the Alpine region and on some of my favourite New South Wales roads.

Friday
Slabbed to Gundagai then down Gocup Rd (including a couple of sections of roadwork) and turning South at Tumut and onto the Snowy Mountains Highway. About 70km down the road and turn right onto The Link Road. The further south I went, the colder it got so I pulled over at the Link Road intersection to put on my rain jacket to keep out the cold air, cranked up the heated grips and motored on through the alpine forest to Cabramurra.
Alpine Forest:
Mt%20Selwyn_zpso3wea8gz.jpg

Cabramurra:
Cabramurra_zpsc1axeq0x.jpg

I love the roads into Cabramurra and the dead trees up near the top are also fascinating. I remember driving through there in fog a few years ago and it was a surreal experience.
Dead%20Trees_zpscxqy3ocf.jpg

Past a couple of dams and onto the Alpine Way west of Khancoban. The destination for the night was Thredbo but I went on to Jindabyne and tried to get to the top of Charlottes Pass. It was dusk and the large mobs of kangaroos and wallabies made it too dangerous to go all the way. I'll leave that for another day.

Back to Thredbo and time to catch up with my Lotus mates who had organised the weekend.

Saturday
The bike stayed in the carpark as a couple of friends and I trekked to the top of Mt Kosciusko. Most of the Lotus crowd went to play in their natural habitat.

At 10am we took the chairlift to the top of Thredbo. That was the first time I've ever been on a chairlift and I found it quite interesting. From here it is a 6.5km walk each way. In theory you only have to go up a few hundred metres in that distance but the track goes up and down a bit before you get to the final climb. The young and fit seem to make easy work of it. Those of us who are older and much less fit struggle a bit.

You have to go more than 2km before you get your first view of the highest point in Australia and a part of the track ahead.
Kosciusko straight ahead
Kosciuszko_zpsrqsflzey.jpg

American and European readers may scoff at such a low summit. I’ll happily admit I’ve driven over much higher roads in the USA but this is our highest place.
Mt%20K%20Info_zps72ls3rtq.jpg

You travel most of the way on a metal walkway that is designed to preserve the native flora and the springs that form the head of the mighty Snowy River. Finally, after a bit over two hours of walking, we made it to the highest place in Australia
On%20Top%202_zpsn04st3kl.jpg

Don't even think about having alone time at the top of the mountain. At this time of year you will be among scores of other trekkers. Families, young couples, sport teams, foreign tourists and some serious athletes all make there way to the top. Some jog most of the way, some like me take it slow and steady. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at the young kids who come around the last bend on the track and sprint to the cairn that marks the summit. It was great to see so many people enjoying such a significant place and the only one of the world's Seven summits you can get to as a day trip. If you take the longer but flatter route from Charlottes Pass it is theoretically possible to ride a bike to the top of the summit. Mountain bikers are allowed to ride to within 1.5km of the summit before they are required to park their bikes. There are no steps from there to the summit, just a track that is up to 2 metres wide.

Some of the crowd on top of Australia:
Crowds_zpsefx43lst.jpg

After a rest, some photos and a snack, it was time to head back down. The trek back to the chairlift took a little under 90 minutes. The trip up was hard on the lungs but the trip down was even harder on the legs. It was soothing to be able to dangle my legs in the air on the chairlift back down to Thredbo village. I wasn't looking forward to the walk back up to our lodge though.

Sunday
The return to Sydney included a lot of time on the slab.
Nearing Canberra we turned onto the Old Cooma Rd to Queanbeyan and a fuel stop. From there, Bungendore, Tarago, Goulburn and lunch at The Bakehouse. Near the abattoir on the way into Goulburn was the only scare of the trip. An idiot in a RenaultSport Megane come around the corner towards me with two wheels off the dirt and some serious oversteer. I managed to avoid him then he overcorrected and spun across the road, nearly hitting my mate behind me in his brand new Exige V6. The Renault came to a stop without hitting anything so we figured it was best to keep away from him.

From there, slab to Pheasant's Nest and more fuel and a cold drink. It was getting pretty warm on the road. Bike and rider refreshed, back onto the slab and home.

Somewhere along the way I lost my house keys. Fortunately I have a spare set secured outside for such emergencies but I need to get a new "spare" set cut. Bike unloaded, washed and returned to commuting mode for the week ahead.

Last edited:
Left it in the garage, it rained heavily for the first time in months, so the oil will come to the surface and the roads will be like riding on soap. And it,s a public holiday here too......

I went on a long ride this morning down the coast road to the bottom of the peninsula then across to the other side and back home through the hills. Three and a half hours of solid riding starting with smooth sweepers along the coast and then tight twisties through the hills. I stopped for a photo, the water and sky were so blue I couldn't resist. Then gave the bike a good thorough wash when I got home.

Attachments

• 20150311_095822.jpg
    20150311_095822.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 104
  • 20150311_133008.jpg
    20150311_133008.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 111
Fitted EBC front rotors and rode her to work, they need a bit more bedding in.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20150316_174250.jpg
    20150316_174250.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 85
Yep, they were sold to me as Galfer, but when I received them there was no Galfer branding on them, after a search I found them to be circa 2010 EBC rotors. Email going back to seller asking for clarification.....

May I ask what luggage rack combination you are running to have the SW motech top rack and also have e21's fitted to the side, the only options I see for Fz1 are for V35, But they are a bit bigger then what I am after.

on a side note, I love the FZ1 in white :drools:

Home after a 1355km ride, bike unpacked and cleaned and now it is time to relax.

This is the first time I've taken a bike down to the Alpine region and on some of my favourite New South Wales roads.

Friday
Slabbed to Gundagai then down Gocup Rd (including a couple of sections of roadwork) and turning South at Tumut and onto the Snowy Mountains Highway. About 70km down the road and turn right onto The Link Road. The further south I went, the colder it got so I pulled over at the Link Road intersection to put on my rain jacket to keep out the cold air, cranked up the heated grips and motored on through the alpine forest to Cabramurra.
Alpine Forest:
Mt%20Selwyn_zpso3wea8gz.jpg

Cabramurra:
Cabramurra_zpsc1axeq0x.jpg

I love the roads into Cabramurra and the dead trees up near the top are also fascinating. I remember driving through there in fog a few years ago and it was a surreal experience.
Dead%20Trees_zpscxqy3ocf.jpg

May I ask what luggage rack combination you are running to have the SW motech top rack and also have e21's fitted to the side, the only options I see for Fz1 are for V35, But they are a bit bigger then what I am after.

on a side note, I love the FZ1 in white :drools:

Hi Kingy.
I like the white too.
As for the racks, it is all SW-MOTECH gear sourced from Twisted Throttle in the US and an Australian supplier. You can probably get it straight out of Germany or another EU or UK supplier. I think the item numbers on the left are the SW-MOTECH catalogue numbers.

GPT.06.541.15000.B SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack for Yamaha FZ1 '06-'13, to fit TraX ALU-BOX, Pelican, Shad, Givi / Kappa, Coocase & Soft Luggage
GPT.00.152.10000 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (Shad Topcases)
KFT.00.152.205 SW-MOTECH Adapter Kit for Quick-Lock EVO sidecarriers to fit Givi Monokey/Kappa sidecases
KFT.06.533.20000/B QUICK-LOCK EVO Side Carrier. Black. Yamaha FZ 1 / Fazer (05-)

Thanks for the super fast and super useful reply!

I see now, so that rack can be used for the normal boxes as well. That's great news. Thanks again :D

Hi Kingy.
I like the white too.
As for the racks, it is all SW-MOTECH gear sourced from Twisted Throttle in the US and an Australian supplier. You can probably get it straight out of Germany or another EU or UK supplier. I think the item numbers on the left are the SW-MOTECH catalogue numbers.

GPT.06.541.15000.B SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack for Yamaha FZ1 '06-'13, to fit TraX ALU-BOX, Pelican, Shad, Givi / Kappa, Coocase & Soft Luggage
GPT.00.152.10000 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (Shad Topcases)
KFT.00.152.205 SW-MOTECH Adapter Kit for Quick-Lock EVO sidecarriers to fit Givi Monokey/Kappa sidecases
KFT.06.533.20000/B QUICK-LOCK EVO Side Carrier. Black. Yamaha FZ 1 / Fazer (05-)

last night installed a new chain and sprockets a new front tire. oil filter. would have done the air filter but ran out of time. and sad "shy" does not stock the spark plugs i need.
but today did a good 400+ mile ride. (depart 8:am return 8:30 pm)
home to sparks nv via hwy 88 over Carson pass. east on 80 to fernly, then south on by-pass 95 to yerington. (dale walkers hol shot shop). bought a new mid-pipe and hole-shot muffler dale himself installed them. great guy can not say enough about his shop, his wife, his service.
and he has his personal bike for sale.. 2011 suzuki 1250FA only 1505 miles on it. he is asking a very low price..wish i had the money it would home with me now. so many farkles on it worth twice as much.
O and returned via hwy 88 road in good shape almost had a problem with a number of long legged rats just east of pioneer. but then it was just after sunset. so they love to run across the roads.

next week?

Went for the first ride of the year after it rained a couple times and got all the salt off of the roads. First time driving after dirt road seat mod, lower cowl and new FP levers. Was very impressed with the seat. Now pulling the forks off and sending them out tomorrow for a full ak-20 treatment from Traxxion. After I get the forks back I have a 1st gen 16 tooth front sprocket, speedoDRD, Gipro gear indicator and 08 R1 shock with satan adapter that need to be installed. Going to try the R1 shock for a while and see how it rides while I save up for a Penske rear.

2015-03-31 18.56.09.jpg

2015-03-31 19.50.15.jpg

Picked up the bike from the local HD dealership that was storing it for me (exceptional service at a great price!) since mid December. I don't have a garage at the moment and this was a great option to keep the bike out of the elements, which was definitely a smart choice seeing how crappy our winter was this year! Damn I miss this bike and am glad to have it back! Spent far too much time this past month thinking I needed something different (mostly out of boredom) and I can honestly say that all that flushed out of my mind the second I saw them roll my bike out :drools: Truly a great, no nonsense motorcycle and I can't wait to start packing on the miles :sport12:

Back