What did you do to your FZ today?

I got my bike dirty, filthy and I loved it. The Dragon tried to bite me, but I escaped!
nara7uma.jpg
yjady9a6.jpg
5yrape4u.jpg
8e2y5a2y.jpg
ete7arur.jpg
9y8erage.jpg

More in my ride thread later. I need to sleep so we can get up early and ride the northern GA mountains (Blood Mountain area) for 2 days and end the trip in Nashville on the way home. Amazing time on the Dragon. Almost no traffic, great weather and no MAJOR issues. I wish I could write more now but too much fun. GoPro videos to come after I get home.

BTW I just found a bad coil on cylinder 1. We have a temp fix with electrical tape. Any suggestions? I can't find a new coil anywhere. Thanks. The FZ1 sucks as a triple! Luckily it didn't crap out until after the dragon.

Last edited:
I got my bike dirty, filthy and I loved it. The Dragon tried to bite me, but I escaped!

More in my ride thread later. I need to sleep so we can get up early and ride the northern GA mountains (Blood Mountain area) for 2 days and end the trip in Nashville on the way home. Amazing time on the Dragon. Almost no traffic, great weather and no MAJOR issues. I wish I could write more now but too much fun. GoPro videos to come after I get home.

BTW I just found a bad coil on cylinder 1. We have a temp fix with electrical tape. Any suggestions? I can't find a new coil anywhere. Thanks. The FZ1 sucks as a triple! Luckily it didn't crap out until after the dragon.

Get over to Wheelers! Just ask anyone near the Dragon. He has a shop and should be able to get you fixed up just right! Here's the link: Wheelers Performace Motorcycle Parts and Repair located near the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, and Moonshiner28. 828-479-4998

Oh and have a safe, enjoyable trip pal! Thanks for the pics!

Last edited:
Get over to Wheelers! Just ask anyone near the Dragon. He has a shop and should be able to get you fixed up just right!

Oh and have a safe, enjoyable trip pal! Thanks for the pics!

Thanks buddy, but it happened leaving the dragon on our way to GA. I should have mentioned that. We are in Blairsville, GA now.

Looks like rain for our 2 days here. Oh well. Hopefully the tape will hold out for a few days.

I hope I got some decent video to post up later. I rode one of the other guy's HD Road Glide through the dragon and he rode my FZ. The camera is on my FZ tank and I pass him (he wants me to go by for the video) about half way to the overlook. I tried not to scrape floorboards, but I did a few times.

Hah, I finally solved the wind noise riddle with my helmet. I have a Nolan N-104 which is supposed to be one of the quieter modular helmets out there. It is except for the wind noise coming from the VPS (the built in sun visor). There is a slot that the VPS actuating lever slides in and that's where the wind infiltrates. I judiciously place some PE backed duct tape over the slide on the inside of the helmet under the cheek pad. It cut down the noise dramatically.

I then looked at the right side of the helmet and placed a couple strips of self-adhesive insulating foam between the shell and cheek pad. Lo and behold, the wind noise is reduced by 75% or so. I can ride at 80 mph and its no louder than before at 30 mph.

I replaced my GIVI tour screen with an $18 Chinese DB screen and like it so much better but it left my head sticking out in clean air which is why I started noticing a lot more wind noise.

It turns out the temp coil fix with electrical tape was VERY temporary. I had a coil overnighted from CA to TN and it should be waiting one me between Blairsville, GA and Nashville, TN. I paid way too much in shipping, but the FZ1 makes a horrible triple. It feels and sounds more like a 650 twin with less power. I rode most of Friday on 3 cylinders, including several runs up and down Blood Mountain (Hwy 129) and all over the "Head of the Dragon". Highways 180, 60, 129 and more.

We will pick up my coil on the way and spend the night in Nashville. Then it's off for home on Sunday.

neny4e7u.jpg
my3e6eju.jpg
ezaha6u4.jpg
a2arazar.jpg
7umuhu3y.jpg

I hope to get some decent GoPro videos posted next week. I'm not sure what software to use to edit them, but I will try. I have a few from yesterday with my triple sounding sick. We've been lucky and only got rained on once, just before getting back to the hotel last night. I hope the gear has dried out. I also had to wash my helmet liner which needed it more than I knew… eew.

qu3utuqe.jpg

Put a R6 throttle tube on for a shorter turn to WOT. Haven't had a chance to test ride but I hear good things and its a 5 minute change of parts.

Put a R6 throttle tube on for a shorter turn to WOT. Haven't had a chance to test ride but I hear good things and its a 5 minute change of parts.

Rode about 100 or so miles this morning and I like the shorter turn of this new throttle tube. Its nice that you only need to make smaller adjustments to get more of a response. Is it dramatic, no, but does it help, I'd say yes. For $8 and 5 minutes it was worth it.

Rode about 100 or so miles this morning and I like the shorter turn of this new throttle tube. Its nice that you only need to make smaller adjustments to get more of a response. Is it dramatic, no, but does it help, I'd say yes. For $8 and 5 minutes it was worth it.

Idk how to swap a throttle rube out, but will YouTube it, but what model year throttle r6 tube do I buy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Idk how to swap a throttle rube out, but will YouTube it, but what model year throttle r6 tube do I buy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Can you take off you throttle side bar end? Can you remove two hex screws from the throttle housing? Remove the ends of two cables and slide off existing tube assembly? That's it!

Reverse the process with new tube. 5 minutes.

This is the Yamaha part number: 2C0262400000

Its 2006-2014 R6 I believe

Changed my rear tyre, from ContiRoadAttack 2 Evo to ContiRoadAttack 2 Evo :D
The old one lasted 9095 km, first time I have driven that much on a rear tyre :bowdown:
I have been very glad for the contis, steer like a sportstyre, and the grip is enough for spirited street riding.
Haven't tried them on the track yet.......

P1020863.JPG

Last edited:
Back