What did you do to your FZ today?

Cleaned it on Saturday. Since the FZ is in the backyard driveway under a bike cover(the 69 El Camino is now in the garage), the Mastiff puppy has destroyed 50% of the cover, so it can get pretty dusty. Cleaned it front to back and lubed the chain. Got gas this morning on the way to work. Two weeks of around town riding freeways) and my 08 got 43mpg. It pays to be conservative (most of the time).

(We are stuck outside..jpg

Fabricated a backrest for my wife. I switched from a Warrior to the FZ and she really wanted a backrest.
3cb3c402bb0a43346c3fa1c267c114c6.jpg
0b4ec58a58359f9e2d9d281f47e16e96.jpg
e3970075bdd151e87b226bee83ebac87.jpg

The cover didn't come out exactly as I wanted and I may try to recover it this winter. Quickly removes with one pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fabricated a backrest for my wife. I went from a Warrior to the FZ and my wife misses the backrest. The covering didn't turn out exactly how I wanted and may recover it this winter. Overall pretty happy with the way it turned out. Quick change with just one pin.
7a679af3c665e1145685ab68657d1fed.jpg
cd8169cbeeacff48aefda3fa6d103dfd.jpg
d86dea041f4ef3cb01c8d1b6f1fc3fc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed the 16t yamaha oem sprocket i had ordered.
I didn't ride the bike hard after the installation but i suspect that it is completely transformed now...

Installed the 16t yamaha oem sprocket i had ordered.
I didn't ride the bike hard after the installation but i suspect that it is completely transformed now...

so ride hard and we're waiting for comments!!!

ps:read the fazerclub forum the last post by me for samios ecu flash!!!

;);)

I'm leaving Tuesday for my trip to the dragon, so I wanted to do what I could before taking off. I had new tires put on a few weeks ago (PP3's).

Today I changed the oil and filter. Second time this year with Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter. I'm addicted to the 17mm nut on the end. [emoji7]

The chain has needed to be cleaned for months, but I have been bad, so that is now done.

I have heard of all the bad figment with the K&N air filters, but I ordered one anyway. Mine fit perfectly. I guess I got lucky or K&N has fixed the issue. I don't know what the recommendation is for air filters, but I figure 22,000 miles is enough. I suppose it's just wishful thinking, but even with all stock exhaust and air box, I felt a slight power increase on the butt dyno. [emoji2] I missed the middle screw in the air box lid down deep by the sensor. I tried for several minutes to pry up the cover with all other screws removed, but finally saw the extra one down deep in the middle. Ugh. I had never lifted the tank before, but it wasn't bad at all. Even with a full tank. I found it easiest to wedge a short piece of 2x4 under the hinge with both sides resting on the frame. I wish I had taken more pictures, but it was a rush job tonight.
u8e4uqu4.jpg
9a3y8a9e.jpg

I was worried about the fuel line and thought about doing the fix, but sadly, I've never actually read what the fix really is, so I was just very careful when lowering the tank and I rode it hard for a few miles after putting the tank down and I'm sure the line is un-kinked for now. I may do that fix later. I also removed the tank bra you see in my sig pic. In 20,000 miles of riding this bike, I've never seen it without the bra. I thought it was time. I will most likely put it back on after the trip, but I enjoy seeing more of the fastest blue color for now.

The worst part was when I started to change the front brake pads to HH pads. I realized I had ordered 2 sets of REAR pads. I swear they had the same number. Messed that one up. Now I can't get the right pads before my trip. I didn't want HH pads on the rear, so I guess I will sell them if anyone wants them. I opened one set. I may put them on later, but not sure.

I still want to do HH pads up front with SS brake lines. A loud horn and the suspension is still on my list, as well as a possible exhaust. An Ivan flash to get rid of the throttle snatch is highly desirable too.

I think things are buttoned up as mush as I can for the trip. I will try to take some pictures along the way and post in my almost unused travel thread. They will just be short updates with a couple pics each day.

I bought a new, cheap jacket. I've never had a mesh jacket, and I thought it was time. I wanted Hi-Viz, which it is, but it only has foam armor, no CE. [emoji19] I may see if the CE will transfer from my other jacket. I've never had CE back protector, so add that to my list. Oops, I realized I'm still in the What did you do to your FZ thread. Gear and trips aren't part of that. Maybe I'll post more in my travel thread for those who want to read it.

Last edited:
I took my first long-ish freeway ride, and discovered that I don't have a vibration problem at 5k, which is really nice since that's a great engine speed for the freeway on this bike.

:stunta]:

Not today, but I went for a nice, long ride on the 2009 on Saturday. Performed great. Got home and put in some fresh oil and a new filter. I've managed a little over 2000 miles since I bought the bike at the end of July. This trip, I achieved a milestone! My '08 had almost 40K miles on it, so I have a little way to go to catch up.

10000Miles_2009FZ1.jpg

f.jpg b.jpg

After 4.2k miles, the OEM tires had to go. The front was cupped and very wavy. Just can't seem to drive in a straight line. There was some left on the rear, but the front was so jacked that strangers noticed it from a distance and I could feel the handling deteriorate.

I bought these Dunlops last year from MC Superstore for about $99 each and only $35 each to install. The mechanic even tightened up the front brake cable. Rides like a new bike.

Found me a set of brand new OEM fairing kits and installed them this weekend and i am in love all over again.

20140902_112544-picsay_zps6b9ca1f7.jpg

07-08 R1 Frame sliders work by the way ;) And as for those complaining of heat being deflected to their legs. I dont seem to notice any heat issues

Found me a set of brand new OEM fairing kits and installed them this weekend and i am in love all over again.

20140902_112544-picsay_zps6b9ca1f7.jpg

07-08 R1 Frame sliders work by the way ;) And as for those complaining of heat being deflected to their legs. I dont seem to notice any heat issues

Nice grab Sammo! If I ever find a set of Cobalt Blue Lowers I'm going to jump on them! I like that rear rim as well. Is that a decal set? If so, where from?

New member, first post, long time rider. Been rockin the FZ1 for about 2 years now. My weak human bits finally got old enough just couldnt do the pure R's anymore...

Rode Pikes Peak with some mates. We had a great time, if slow and steady in a national park area.

Attachments

• 20140901_122405.jpg
    20140901_122405.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 114
New member, first post, long time rider. Been rockin the FZ1 for about 2 years now. My weak human bits finally got old enough just couldnt do the pure R's anymore...

Rode Pikes Peak with some mates. We had a great time, if slow and steady in a national park area.

Welcome to the board! Nice looking FZ1. Doesn't look a bit out of place with the sportbikes!

Back