What did you do to your FZ today?

Nice!

Now you need to ditch that stock shock and get a Penske. Then she'll really shine in the twisties!

The FZ8 forum guys will pay you top dollar for your old one.

Just curious. What's the center to center of a Gen1 shock? Spring rate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just had the first service done on the FZ1.
And goodies have started turning up from overseas. Spot the difference.
file_zps5b0f0ef1.jpg

file_zpsb4ca569e.jpg

Would've done the taillight as well but it looks like I have to pull half the bike apart for that. Think I'll wait until my fender eliminator arrives and do it all in one go.

Last edited:
Installation of Integrated Tail Light

Good decision. You sussed out how to remove the rear end?
Not yet. Assuming it can't be too hard. There just seems to be an awful lot of bolts and fasteners
Hail did an excellent "how to" some time ago that I followed when I fitted mine.

May be helpful for you... It saved me loads of time.

Forgot to say thanks Brad... Cheers, Biff :bowdown:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/9777-installation-integrated-tail-light.html

Just had the first service done on the FZ1.
And goodies have started turning up from overseas. Spot the difference.
file_zps5b0f0ef1.jpg

file_zpsb4ca569e.jpg

Would've done the taillight as well but it looks like I have to pull half the bike apart for that. Think I'll wait until my fender eliminator arrives and do it all in one go.

And so it begins...

Sent from my Nexus 5

The first mods were fitted within a couple of days of getting the bike. They were ordered before I even picked it up.

I have a lot of bits currently in transit and all should arrive before Christmas. Tail tidy, rear indicators and a few protection bits should arrive this week. Hopefully the touring screen and luggage racks and top box too.

Still trying to decide on which slip-on. I want one that isn't too noisy and doesn't cause issues with the centrestand.

Took the rear wheel/tire off my old salvaged bike, cleaned it up and put it on my Current bike. Took the one off my current bike (found a nail in the tire last week) and cleaned it up and tossed it on my old one for now.

I love having a second bike to just pull parts off as I need them. I was thinking about selling it to someone as a project bike, but maybe I should just keep it for parts?

The first mods were fitted within a couple of days of getting the bike. They were ordered before I even picked it up.

I have a lot of bits currently in transit and all should arrive before Christmas. Tail tidy, rear indicators and a few protection bits should arrive this week. Hopefully the touring screen and luggage racks and top box too.

Still trying to decide on which slip-on. I want one that isn't too noisy and doesn't cause issues with the centrestand.
I bought a Leo Vince factory R Evo II through revzilla. Good price and came to aust in about a week. Great sound without being too loud. Comes with bracket to prevent centre stand hitting the mid pipe.

done for now

here's a shot with the new red and black brake and clutch levers, LED front turn signals, and my new extended screen. The front signals do not have the resistors but I'm liking the faster blink rate (for now), though it does cut short the integrated tail turn light sequence... I saw the forum link to the CustomLED PnP relay, so I'll think on that.

note that I stripped the lower fairing retaining nut, so I'm out today to find a replacement fastener, thinking of drilling thru the welded nut and going with a slightly smaller and longer fastener, hopefully can find something in black and I'll replace them all

Last edited:
Hail did an excellent "how to" some time ago that I followed when I fitted mine.

May be helpful for you... It saved me loads of time.

Forgot to say thanks Brad... Cheers, Biff :bowdown:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/9777-installation-integrated-tail-light.html

I might add that when removing and replacing the tail section be VERY careful of the little tabs on the bottom side of the tail section that the grommets clip into. They snap off easier than you think they would. Mine broke when putting the tail back on.

Jon…

I might add that when removing and replacing the tail section be VERY careful of the little tabs on the bottom side of the tail section that the grommets clip into. They snap off easier than you think they would. Mine broke when putting the tail back on.

Good point Jon...
I found that I had to pull the bottom of the tail section outwards to allow a little more room, then lift it off at an angle to avoid breaking the tabs.
Mine was made even more difficult by the Givi rack mountings getting in the way...
Slow and steady is the way to go... ;-)
Biff.

Gave her a wash last night & rode her into work today. I hope the rain holds off until after I get home. It's been dry for a long while here now & the rain on the weekend bought the oil to the surface & I lost the front end momentarily on a usually safe corner Sunday morning. That was a wake up call. I don't usually ride in the rain for those reasons, but got caught out on Sunday, the weather man said the chance of a light scattered shower, not a blanketing down poor. Luckily my downhill mountain bike reflexes kicked in & I had her back under control & completed the corner hardly off my line. It was definitley a pucker moment.

Yesterday
file_zps2e308506.jpg

file_zpsff92b245.jpg

Today
file_zps52fd03a5.jpg

file_zps5929172d.jpg

Flash, Flash.
file_zpsb084ccac.jpg

SW-Motech rack, SHAD topbox, RatedR tail tidy and indicators, Custom LED integrated taillight.

In the end it wasn't a particularly difficult job thanks to Brad's photos. From go to whoa ended up being about 7 hours but I was being slow and methodical. I faffed about a bit with the electricals before deciding to incorporate the integrated indicators along with the small separate ones. You need indicators at least the numberplate width apart here to stay legal.

I need to fabricate a small bracket for a reflector to keep it reasonably legal. That is a job for tomorrow.

To be fitted in the near future:
Fender extender
Oxford heated grips
Grip Puppies
12v/USB power outlet for SatNav etc

Other jobs to come when the parts arrive:
Windscreen
Axle sliders
Headlight Protectors
SW-Motech Pannier Racks
Givi 21litre Cruiser Monokey panniers

Still deciding:
Seat (interested in Dirt Road but don't want to take the bike off the road)
Slip-on (leaning towards a Scorpion Serket)
Power distribution module

I ordered a set of Arrow headers to go with the Micron GP slip on, PCV & BMC airfilter. Now I just need to wait for them to arrive, install them & then get her on the dyno at Nevill's again. I can't wait, but I think it'll be next year before I get her on the Dyno, I'll instal them a couple of days before I go to see Nevill.

Somewhere on here is the first dyno comparison I have (stock vs BMC filter, PCV & GYTR carbon slip on). I know Nevil keeps them on file, I'll try to get him to print out all three once he's done. I'll ring him up & book it in when they arrive.

Back