What did you do to your FZ today?

Valve Check complete. Everything in spec.

New iridium spark plugs.

I'm exhausted. I'm only working a couple of hours at a time trying not to rattle theWolf but I think I failed. Tomorrow (today?) might be a rest day or flush radiator day.

Sent from my Tablet PC using Tapatalk 4

I was able to ride to work and back for my full work week (3 - 13 hours days) all on one tank of gas! I didn't think I could. It's around 25 miles one way x6 is just over 150 miles. I made it 152.8 (the last 20 miles on F-Trip) and averaged 36 MPG for that tank. (~4.1 gal fill up). :thewave:

Now I know I don't have to worry at 80-100 miles that I'm going to be out of gas, unless I'm riding really hard. :angel:

Gave the credit card a beating buying a full titanium Akrapovic system.

That'll do till I recover from the shock of it :jaw drop:

Last edited:
My story today is less about my bike and more about what I was doing on it.

I got on the freeway this morning to head to work and there was a large box truck in the slow lane so I gave her some gas.... well, a lot of gas so I could get up to speed and get on the road ahead of him. Naturally this meant I was doing 80+mph when I actually merged onto the freeway. I let off the gas because going to work I was not actually in a hurry, I had plenty of time. The freeway near my house is 3 lanes in each direction.

I merge into lane 2 between two vehicles and check my mirrors and glanced left to make sure the number 1 lane was open so I could move over. I saw a car way back and decided it was clean and moved over and sped up a hair.

I notice the car behind approaching fast and... oh snap that is a Black Crown Vic.... So once past the car I signal and move back into the number 2 lane.

The CHP Officer goes by without so much as glancing at me and I follow him at 80mph for a few miles before that freeway ends and we merged onto the next freeway going different directions.

Later today I leave my clients site and am heading back to my office for the afternoon and as I merge from one freeway to another I pull right behind a CHP officer who is also going 80mph and I follow him for a few miles....

I guess today was my day.

Makes me wonder why sometimes you get a ticket going 76 in a 65 and other days they leave you alone....

I am just glad I was safe today. :woot:

oops, never did that.. with the price of distilled water around here it seems I never will :)

I have a pressure cooker, I can make my own. :cool: I didn't though, got a couple of gallons on sale.

I started him just to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Big Bro kept telling me I needed to leave it alone since there was nothing wrong with it. Even though he thinks that, he's been a great cheerleader...not sure I would have been able to do this without his moral support.

Tomorrow the radiator will get some love and be put back on the bike. Weather supposed to be wet all weekend so I'm not sure when the test ride will be.

Sent from my Tablet PC using Tapatalk 4

Hit 7000 miles on the way home from work last night.
I have driven it to work every day for at least 3 weeks, I really don't remember the last time I had to take the truck to work.

Good Job on the 7K, rode my 700s all week. Today I drove the car, rain, felt wierd but had a radio to listen to, Both got a bath and put up full of fuel for sun again. :thewave:

Bought a used '03 in July. My 'spare time' to work on it has been extremely limited. In that time however, I've been trying to bring it back from the 'crashed-dead'.

Pulled motor to have motor mounts welded.
Pulled carbs to clean and install Dale Walker Stage II (It already had stage I + ignition advancer and high-pipe slip-on.)
Replaced battery
replaced front and rear rims
replaced clutch-side cover
re-covered seat
installed rizoma rear-sets (from a friend for cheap)
replaced rear tail section
replaced under tail section and tail light

I have no idea how it ran before all of this because it wasn't running when I bought it. Since first firing it up though it hasn't idled correctly. Measured AFR showed it was very lean. recommended settings for stage II jet kit with pods, advancer and slip-on are clip on 4th notch down from top, with one shim. Screws set to 3.5 turns. Even with these settings, still wouldn't idle correctly.

I thought perhaps something was still in the carbs. Pulled them off again and performed yet another thorough cleaning. Reassembled, installed, same results.

Finallly, I decided to try the optional 17.5 pilot jets instead of the 15's that come stock. 5 set the screws to 2 turns instead of 3.5 as a starting point. With the pods I'm getting a lot more air, so I figured more fuel might help. VIOLA!! I now have a bike that idles like it's supposed to and can be 'blipped' and sound normal, not hang around 2k rpm and slowly come back to idle.

My next step is to take if for a few test rides to see how it pulls through the mid-range. I may still have to make a few more changes to either needle height or main jet.

It's awesome to finally be heading in the right direction!

Last edited:
I took off my grip puppies, one of which was splitting (I was tired of re-wrapping it with tape). Previously, I had installed the heating elements between the stock grips and the puppies, so I had to remove the grips and install the elements, then put the grips back on. I used a thin piece of steel rod inserted between the grip and the handlebar, and an electric drill to spin it and the grip came right off. Some soapy water on the bar end and the grip, and reinstallation of the stock grip was a breeze. I've been riding with fat grips for over a year now. I'm curious what the smaller grips will feel like and am hoping to get out for a short ride today.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

I took off my grip puppies, one of which was splitting (I was tired of re-wrapping it with tape). Previously, I had installed the heating elements between the stock grips and the puppies, so I had to remove the grips and install the elements, then put the grips back on. I used a thin piece of steel rod inserted between the grip and the handlebar, and an electric drill to spin it and the grip came right off. Some soapy water on the bar end and the grip, and reinstallation of the stock grip was a breeze. I've been riding with fat grips for over a year now. I'm curious what the smaller grips will feel like and am hoping to get out for a short ride today.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

How'd you like the grip puppies? I've been thinking about getting a pair... What size fits your stock grips? Thanks.

Kevin

How'd you like the grip puppies? I've been thinking about getting a pair... What size fits your stock grips?
I liked them quite a bit, especially coming from a larger-gripped cruiser. The grip puppies I use were "small" and they fit over the stock grips well. I removed them because the clutch side was splitting after about a year (18K miles). My primary motivation for using them in the first place was to be able to put my grip heaters on without having to take the stock grips off.

I took advantage of the beautiful end winter weather to get her out for a quick one hour loop through the hills in my lunch break before the weather turns grey and wet again for the rest of the week. New route to me, I wouldn't do it again, very bumpy road and a few gravel washes across the road from all the winter rain. But I needed to ride it to see what it was like, now I know.

Back