What did you do to your FZ today?

RE: Latest FZ1 update

Alright !! Finally got the backordered GRAVES flushmounts in, and on the FZ1 !
WOW !! What a difference . . . . sooooo BRIGHT, and the CNC machined, super-slick aluminum bodies, all covered in that deep, GLOSS BLACK, paint. Yaaahooo . Looks finished and totally different now.
Coupled up with the pod-mod, and the signal buzzer-mod , , , I feel sooooo much safer now , , , in fact, think I'll go riding again today !! heh,heh,
BTW, I had to scrap the CF inner fairings (that came already installed), as one of them was heavily damaged in the crash last month. I have not been able to find replacement CF inner fairings anywhere? I have the original ABS ones in place now, but have become rather attached to the CF look from before. Any ideas where to look ? I have GOOGLED and searched many sites, but always coming up empty for some reason.
Thanks guys.

I'm painting the heal pads and passenger peg hangers flat black enamel since I'm to lazy to send them out to be powder coated. 2 coats on each piece...we'll see how that holds up.

Alright !! Finally got the backordered GRAVES flushmounts in, and on the FZ1 !
WOW !! What a difference . . . . sooooo BRIGHT, and the CNC machined, super-slick aluminum bodies, all covered in that deep, GLOSS BLACK, paint. Yaaahooo . Looks finished and totally different now.
Coupled up with the pod-mod, and the signal buzzer-mod , , , I feel sooooo much safer now , , , in fact, think I'll go riding again today !! heh,heh,
BTW, I had to scrap the CF inner fairings (that came already installed), as one of them was heavily damaged in the crash last month. I have not been able to find replacement CF inner fairings anywhere? I have the original ABS ones in place now, but have become rather attached to the CF look from before. Any ideas where to look ? I have GOOGLED and searched many sites, but always coming up empty for some reason.
Thanks guys.

Post up some pics of the finished product! As for the CF inner fairings I think those are no longer made by Yamaha so keep an eye out for them on eBay. There was a "new" set on there a few weeks ago, but I guess it sold as I don't see it anymore.

:doh2: Well, since no one rides w/ me (as far as passenger) the rear pieces will be OK, but I can see the heal pads wearing. Going out tomorrow and sunday for rides, so it'll be the test.

You could put some clear paint protector film over the paint, and then the heel gaurds should hold up fine with regular paint. Just a thought.

Got an Xtreme Permaseal Battery from Batteries Plus. I had to install it in the parking lot as the old one finally gave up the ghost. I had just taken it off of the battery tender and went to the bank. Had to cut the bike off so the drive thru guy could hear me. Bike wouldn't start back up. There'd been signs for a couple of weeks now that I'd gotten all I could get outta it.

ended up getting the 14B-4 because it was the same height as the one I took out but not the 12b-bs recommended by their computer.

Then got rained on on the way home. Good thing I had less than 5 miles to go.

I put the first ding in my bike since I bought it. Pulled a stupid move. Drove off a patch of grass off a small curb without thinking about it, front tire dropped down and I heard a bad sound :doh2: Ended up putting two dents, about 1/2"x1/2", in the middle two exhaust pipes in my header.

I should have just gone 50 feet to the right where there is no curb.

As soon as I left work I rode the Kawasaki home and jumped in the Cutlass to get over to the muffler shop. I had the duals removed and went "catless" dumping into a cherry bomb glasspack and out in front of the rear passenger side wheel. I now have all the room in the world for the Tow Hitch which will bring Tony's and my FZ1 down to Deals Gap.
IMG_0058-1.jpg

Richie and I then hit the garage and got the FZ1's exhaust header cleaned up with the Blue Magic. I was originally going to remove the exhaust but then I remembered that with the fork removed, I would need something to support the bike until the parts come next week. They didn't come out as clean as I would have liked but they are clean enough for now.
IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

After that was finished, Richie helped me get the bike propped up on a paint can (learned that from Eric), and got to removing the bad fork. I felt like I've done this before and it's becoming second nature. All the fork oil did a number on my painted calipers. A touch up is in order once everything is fixed.
IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Once the fork was removed I dis-assembled and cleaned it with brake cleaner and got all the parts ready for next week when the new fork tube and seals and bushings arrive. I did find some sort of material wedged in the groove in the oil seal. Two fingertips full. It was something hard and was probably the culprit but the fact remains that the inner fork tube has scratches and discoloration on it and I want it replaced. I can't afford any more down time.

The fork cleaned and awaiting new parts.....
IMG_0066.jpg

Tomorrow will be the day for doing the waterproof power plug and then my Old's headliner which has been sitting in the garage for a year. It's time to get it done and back in the car.

Here's the Olds going to the shop with open headers.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl3RmE4O-aQ]YouTube - Olds Cutlass Broken Exhaust[/ame]

And here's the Olds about an hour and a half later going home with the exhaust fixed. It may sound the same as when it was broken but it's really not. Richie had the camera way too close to the window. She growls like a mountain lion!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SfdW5i19Y]YouTube - Olds Cutlass Exhaust Repaired[/ame]

So thats how I spent my Saturday! What fun!!!!!

Awesome Billy! Cherry bomb... those were the days!

Sad to see the bike all apart again but this time, it should end up spot-on. I will try and get there for a weekend ride with you guys in the next month. She's got school and I've got time before the contractor finishes the mudroom. :D

And, besides my Copperdog stuff today, I dropped the triples on the forks 10mm for a bit quicker drop-in on the corners. ;)
attachment.php

Awesome Billy! Cherry bomb... those were the days!

Sad to see the bike all apart again but this time, it should end up spot-on. I will try and get there for a weekend ride with you guys in the next month. She's got school and I've got time before the contractor finishes the mudroom. :D

And, besides my Copperdog stuff today, I dropped the triples on the forks 10mm for a bit quicker drop-in on the corners. ;)
attachment.php

SWEET!! You'll definitely feel a difference in turn-in now. For me it was like night and day. Just go easy for a while cause you'll find yourself making U-Turns until you get used to it!:doh2:

What are you putting on the car for a hitch? Class II U-Haul hitch? That is a V8, right?

As for the fork... It wasn't PVC shavings? Do you think some stuff didn't get cleaned out? Remember when we tried to assemble one of them and the bolt in the bottom did not feel right so we took it apart and cleaned again? I wonder if some of it got lodged in the valve and then let loose after some riding? At least with the new inner tube and a good cleaning, you know it SHOULDN'T leak again! :tup:

What are you putting on the car for a hitch? Class II U-Haul hitch? That is a V8, right?

As for the fork... It wasn't PVC shavings? Do you think some stuff didn't get cleaned out? Remember when we tried to assemble one of them and the bolt in the bottom did not feel right so we took it apart and cleaned again? I wonder if some of it got lodged in the valve and then let loose after some riding? At least with the new inner tube and a good cleaning, you know it SHOULDN'T leak again! :tup:

Yeah, I'm going with the Class II hitch from UHaul. We are a dealer so you wouldn't believe the price! Yes, it is a V8. It's the only way to roll!!!

No, I wouldn't call it PVC shavings. Unless of course the oil broke down the plastic which I doubt. It was a hard material and there was quite a bit jammed in the groove of the oil seal. I couldn't make out what it was and I could probably throw everything back together and have the fork leak history but I don't want to do this all over again if it starts leaking so I'll take the safe road and wait for the new tube to come. Not to mention the Motion Pro seal driver. I spoke to Tony yesterday and he assured me that this will be a quick rebuild once you have the proper tools.

Richie will be taking video of the procedure to post here. I'll do everything step by step from the manual and edit the dead space to make a quick but very thorough video!

I cleaned the chain, rims, and swing arm tonight to get the crud off from the camping trip the other weekend and the little shower I got caught in yesterday after a visit to cycle gear for Bike Spirits and maxima chain cleaner.

If I'd known the chain cleaner was basically kerosene in an aerosol can, I'd've gotten just kerosene and a spray bottle. Live an learn. Using that is definitely less work than the purple stuff though. The guy who gave me the maxima chain lube that I hated so much also gave me some chain cleaner that didn't smell like that and was $2 more but worked as well. Better actually because my hands didn't feel like sand paper after wards!

Tomorrow I will try the Bike Spirits to see what all the hype is about.
bg_products.gif

If I'm still feeling all right, then I'll get the crud off of the headers too otherwise that'll have to wait till Monday or Tuesday.

I rode it :D but I did finally take the GPS with me so I could calibrate my SpeedoDRD, which I installed a few weeks ago. Final correction ratio @ 70 MPH was -10.3%.

Rode her about 120 miles on back roads this afternoon. What a great day it is here for riding. Toyed with the GoPro HD and have some videos uploading... nothing special outside of great scenery.

Back