What can you really get out of a GenII FZ1?

CGFZ1

Ok I have read about all of the mods and studied the Copper Dawg video's and I am curious about how much power you actually can get out of an FZ1 motor without bolting a turbo on. I have been considering the following mods
1. Full Yosh exhaust system (or Arrow header and Two Brothers slip on)
2. High flow Airbox mod and high perf air filter
3. Velosity Stacks mod (Example Graves or ?)
4. Either a PC3, PC5, or Juice Box
5. Copper Dawg Flies mod
6. Full AIS Block off plates and System removal (No performance gain I know just to get rid of most of the popping)

After this of course a trip to the dyno for a tune up:sinister: My question is after making these changes to the FZ1 mill what is realistic for HP and Torque output? I am expecting it will be a significant gain over stock but I am curious if we are talking about a 10 HP or around the 140 to 145 mark or are we talking a possible 160 to 170 HP area? Just wondering what my engine is capable of?

with what I have in my signature and one of Duke's map I made 146. To make much more than 150 you are going to spend some shiney coin and lose some reliability. With a full exhaust your biggest gains will be around the 7000 to 8000 rpm range 20 to 30 hp.

Yea, with all the mods listed I think you're looking at anywhere between 145-150 RWHP. Don't forget that different dynos are going to give different results.

For what it's worth looks like Ivan got 150 RWHP out of the FZ1 with his tuning:

Ivan's Performance Products

I have 145HP with all the stuff in my signature.

Like NJFZ1 says, different dynos give different results but somewhere between 145-150 is the general mark if you have most of the popular mods.

i aggree 1000% with u guys....
my opinion is that with the above mods Fz1 Gen2 hits up to 142-147hp at the rear wheel on the most dynos.....fuchs,dynojet etc.....
i was almost one step from tuning with the above mods but:

1)in GREECE there are 2-3 guys only who can tune your bike almost perfect and they charge u about 300€ for that.....
2)i believe that the fuel average would change a lot(now i'm at 6-7lt/100km with 6th gear and 7000rpm driving.....my driving is sport touring i would say....)
3)i like the way that the oem ecu runs out....i can put 6th gear ond drive with 2/3/4000rpm and open throttle and the bike doesn't feel anything.....

although i have always on the bike of my mind the idea of tuning with CD'S flies,open airbox,PC V,factory pro stucks.............:shine::shine:

Your peak HP depends mostly on the exhaust you choose, and I'm not talking about Slip-on's, but the collectors(S/S or Titanium,) and also a good Tune.
The following picture I'm about to show you is the tune of 2 FZ1'08, one bike is mine and the other is of a friend of mine.

You'll se in the Dyno graph what can you get choosing your parts wisely.

The red/blue line FZ1 is fitted with the following parts:

Yoshimura Tricone full Exhaust Yoshimura product site : FZ1 FAZER(06-09) - SLIP-ON TRI-OVAL CARBON END, Graves Velocity stacks, K&N a/f, Airbox mode, Modded flies, Tuned stock ECU.

The green/yellow line is mine bike and you can see in my signature what are the parts fitted.

Both bikes were tuned to get the most torque out of the bike, since they are used for street riding only and not peak horse power. Mine bike with the PC3 developed +3HP over the data shown, so it was taken down because +/- 3 horse power nobody can feel the difference.

The Factory pro velocity stacks are quite superior to the graves stacks, as you can see between the 6000 - 7500 RPM. The difference in price is about 100$, however I don't regret spending an extra 100 bucks.

However it's your money and spend it like you feel it's right.

the difference before & after the tune is amazing!!! I was thinking that is was a completely other bike, + the howling of the velocity stacks is amazing when opening the throttle.

So why do different Dynos get different results? Are we saying that the same bike, dynoed on different occasions in different sessions yields different results? I don't really know much about the process, so am very curious about the factors that may change the outcome.....? Or is it just a different dynojet "apparatus"?

I have more than I can use in this area out of the crate. The power to weight ratio of the FZ1, for a sport tourer, is incredible. I know this is a quest for some but really? Do we need any more?

What I want to do is shift that power to where I spend most of my day... for that I'll need a PC-V and new headers. I want the HP moved to where the bike is starved.

Outside Temperature, Gasoline used (US & Europe not same), Atmospheric pressure, Tires mounted on the bike........all this can influence the outcome of a dyno, plus each table can have a margin of error let's say about +/- 2-5%

Ah, I see. I guess I need to learn more about dyno. For some reason I was thinking the numbers would be comparable, and maybe they are in relative terms. But the differences in the factors you mention could make big differences, it seems. VERY interesting. :)

Not knowing enough about the dyno led me to presume that it was "standardized" across sessions, as far as the conditions. And then possibly the numbers, for comparitive purposes...

Look maybe it depends on other factors that I'm unaware, but the first main difference from dynos in europe and in the US is the fuel used in the bikes. If I remember correctly in the US the Gasoline has 90 or 92 octanes with a peak of 95?? Im I correct?? While in Europe is min 95 and max 100(pure 100 Octane gasoline you can buy at the racetrack, is has a slight red colour) while at the gas station they sell from 95, 98 and occasionali 100( but the real number of octanes is 98.7)....

This is definitely good stuff to know. I enjoy learning something everyday....

As for the octane, in the US it may differ by state as well. Here in Texas, I think it is usually not more than 93 that is available at most pumps. But I know I've seen 97, 95 other places....I just can't recall where exactly at the moment. (maybe when I was in Europe!?)

The ratings for fuels are based on different standards for each country. See Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an explaination of ratings. The US uses AKI or Anti Knock Index. This is labeled at most pumps as (R+M)/2) or PON (Pump Octane Number). Our 87 PON/AKI is the same as 91-92 RON(Research Octane Number) and 82-83 MON(Motor Octane Number), thus when we speak or 87 here, we're referencing the very same fuel as 91-92 in Australia(I *think* Oz uses RON as their rating....).

Last edited:
Cobalt's got it right. It's not that we have less octane here in North America, it's that the rating system is different.

So when you see:

US 87 = EU 91
US 91 = EU 95
US 94 = EU 98

149hp in a room that was 126* air temp on the bike was 134* iirc
R1 intake cam,R1 head gasket,Scorpion slip-on,bmc filter,air box cut to the max,graves stacks,PC3,87 octane

Ok I have read about all of the mods and studied the Copper Dawg video's and I am curious about how much power you actually can get out of an FZ1 motor without bolting a turbo on. I have been considering the following mods
1. Full Yosh exhaust system (or Arrow header and Two Brothers slip on)
2. High flow Airbox mod and high perf air filter
3. Velosity Stacks mod (Example Graves or ?)
4. Either a PC3, PC5, or Juice Box
5. Copper Dawg Flies mod
6. Full AIS Block off plates and System removal (No performance gain I know just to get rid of most of the popping)

After this of course a trip to the dyno for a tune up:sinister: My question is after making these changes to the FZ1 mill what is realistic for HP and Torque output? I am expecting it will be a significant gain over stock but I am curious if we are talking about a 10 HP or around the 140 to 145 mark or are we talking a possible 160 to 170 HP area? Just wondering what my engine is capable of?

Now that you have ridden your bike to the fullest extent of it's capabilities and have mastered it's output fully, your search for more power may lead to an increase of 25% over what it had.

And you will be able to use this extra horsepower...................................where exactly?

Sorry for asking but sometimes it's difficult to distinguish who needs more power and who is just looking for bragging rights.

Now that you have ridden your bike to the fullest extent of it's capabilities and have mastered it's output fully, your search for more power may lead to an increase of 25% over what it had.

And you will be able to use this extra horsepower...................................where exactly?

Sorry for asking but sometimes it's difficult to distinguish who needs more power and who is just looking for bragging rights.

With that kind of thinking,,,,, Why on earth did you buy a liter bike???? Who, where, why, would you ever need more then ,,,,say,, 30hp. I know a 30hp Ninja 250 will do 90mph,,,,I guess we're all CRIMINALs!!!! ILLEGAL!!!!! SPEEDERS!!!!!

:D

I say let us tweek, leave us alone, go ride your ALL STOCK bike!!!!!!!!!!:rant:

Back