What bike did you ride that left a lasting impression?

Dustin

I am a certified bike whore. My friends have said it repeatedly and I recognize this fact now, maybe even embrace it. I buy and sell bikes seemingly constantly and I try to demo every single bike I can get my hands on. I go to all the MC shows to kick tires and am scouring Craigslist and shops for good deals. I think I do alright as I usually break even and often make a profit when flipping bikes

Last night I was thinking about bikes--big surprise. One particular bike that has left a very strong impression on me is the Suzuki Gladius; I loved the look of it when it came out and I really like naked bikes anyway. I have demoed this bike several times and I immediately loved it. Since then, I've gone through 3 or 4 different bikes in that time and every single time I have considered picking up a Gladius.

So what about you guys? Other than our FZ1s, what bike have you tried that has left a permanent impression in your head?

:popcorn:

Probably the most memorable bike I've ridden other than my FZ1 was a modded out Kawi 636. The sound of the exhaust with the engine spinning at over 15k rpms and the acceleration and handling were quite impressive. That being said I would not trade it for my FZ1 :tup:

I have a friend who has a 2002 Tuono. Man what a fun bike and with the racing exhaust sounds real sweet too. Don't care for the newer styling Aprilla uses now or I would have bought one.
I like the gray color too.
IMG_0006-6.jpg

Did I mention it's a real holigan bike?
IMG_0003-3.jpg

I am a certified bike whore. My friends have said it repeatedly and I recognize this fact now, maybe even embrace it. I buy and sell bikes seemingly constantly and I try to demo every single bike I can get my hands on. I go to all the MC shows to kick tires and am scouring Craigslist and shops for good deals. I think I do alright as I usually break even and often make a profit when flipping bikes

Last night I was thinking about bikes--big surprise. One particular bike that has left a very strong impression on me is the Suzuki Gladius; I loved the look of it when it came out and I really like naked bikes anyway. I have demoed this bike several times and I immediately loved it. Since then, I've gone through 3 or 4 different bikes in that time and every single time I have considered picking up a Gladius.

So what about you guys? Other than our FZ1s, what bike have you tried that has left a permanent impression in your head?

:popcorn:

So --- how long has it been since you owned a Magna?

At the top of the list, the BMW 800ST. Would love that bike for longer trips and the Buell XB12s, for playing in the mountains. I went to a AMA Women's Conference last year & got to demo quite a few bikes. Those 2 are still my favs!

My lasting impression is still my old teen years Yamaha DT175 what was converted to strictly dirt. Custom everything, big bore kit and just a mad-crazy hooligan dirt bike that I terrorized my home town and the cops with. That bike was the most fun!

As for street, nothing I've ridden in the past has compared to the FZ1. She is my clear-cut favorite street bike of all time. :tup: I'll never trade this one. I might add a bike or two in the future but the FZ1 is here until death do us part.

FZ1 is still my favorite, but it may change if I demo any of the triumph triples. Test ridden all the Buells too.

You're still going to love the FZ1, I promise. You're going to find the triple leaving you wanting something more. They are great bikes but after trying one, I wasn't quite as impressed as I am with the FZ1. Now, would I like the new 2011 triple parked beside the FZ1 and available for occasional use? Sure!! :D

I'm just like you Dustin. I go through bikes like nobody's business. And I've demo'd a ton and switch with friends all the time. The FZ1 is hard to beat but I do love my 2010 C14 and a Triumph Speed Triple I got to demo.

Since I don't hang-out at +80mph in first gear very often, the FZ1 power is not fully utilized very often. Don't get me wrong, I've had this bike for only a short time and love it. My highest priority was a comfortable sitting position, next was reasonable handling then power. I guess I just never realized that to experience the power would require +80 in first gear.

BUT one bike that left an unexpected impression on me was the Triumph Speedmaster (PLEASE don't BAN me for mentioning a CRUISER!!!). If you don't like the typical v-twin cruiser look but like the comfort of a cruiser style bike this one fits the bill. And it has decent power and torque within legal speeds. You're not gonna do any knee dragging on it though:cry:

Just for nostalgia sake, next would be the 67 Yamaha twinstar 100cc street bike that I learned on when I was 8. That little 2-stroke was great.

Phil

Last edited:
Rz 350

RZ350S1986.jpg

This is the First New bike that I ever owned and I will always regret selling it.
It was easy to go fast, easy to carve through the twisties on and was just plain SEXY!

On top of that the seat was comfy all day long, it had great fuel range and a sound and smell nothing else could match.

Last edited:
Had a little play on my ex brother in laws Hayabusa.

Rode that monster off the tread, no chicken strips.

Don't think he was too impressed as they were new tyres, but hey ho

Wot a bit of kit ! ! !

:yes:

I have a friend that is crazy for the BMW's. I never thought much about them until I rode his k1200s. Wow what an impression that bike left on me! I was riding a suzuki sv1000 at the time and decided it was time to sell and start saving towards the Beamer. I discovered the FZ1 while saving and decided to try it out and fell in love. I have since ridden the BMW again and it is still a great motorcycle but with my bags and all the mods I have done the FZ1 is king for me

I would never own one as I personally don't like high maintenance, overpriced and bare bones stuff but my friends Ducati Monster 900S was pretty fun to drive. The power seemed to be everywhere and it cornered like a beasty.

The FZ1 destroys it though IMO.

I have a friend that is crazy for the BMW's. I never thought much about them until I rode his k1200s. Wow what an impression that bike left on me! I was riding a suzuki sv1000 at the time and decided it was time to sell and start saving towards the Beamer. I discovered the FZ1 while saving and decided to try it out and fell in love. I have since ridden the BMW again and it is still a great motorcycle but with my bags and all the mods I have done the FZ1 is king for me

I've ridden the K1300GT several times but it just doesn't do much for me. Maybe I'm not talented enough to avail myself of all its goodies, but I like both my C14 and now, my FZ1 more.

I have riden so many bikes over the years.

Besides the one I ride now, The Max,
I would have to say the best or most fun I ever had was on my ATC 250r's.
My 86 three wheeler was so far ahead of its time and was shut down way too soon.
I know there were a lot of folks who wanted them outlawed and they got thier way.
But for those of us who could whip it around certainly enjoyed everything it had to offer.
It would run in the upper 80'smph. That is a bike I miss the most.
I have never owned a 4 wheeler. I have owned a TRI-Z250 and 4 ATC 250r's.

The original Rd350lc, what a hoon bike they were( i had 2 at different times)

I also had a FZR600, super sure handling and good power all through the rev range.

Notice they're all Yamahas :Rockon:

I'd have to say that probably the biggest impression came from my Suzuki TL1000R. I'd ridden a few SV650's on short test rides and wasn't all that impressed and didn't think I'd be a twin guy, but dang does a liter twin make for a fun streetbike. I've since ridden the Tuono and it's a fine bike as well and aside from the price, I'd probably have one by now. There were things about the TLR that would keep me from ever owning one again, but I could certainly own another big twin, like the Tuono or Super Duke.

The FZ1 of course found a way into my heart. After all, I replaced my last one with another of the same year even when the old one was wrecked.

Lastly, the Triumph Rocket III. That bike left an impression on me because I didn't ever expect a cruiser to scare the living crap out of me by simply whacking the throttle open. What a beast that was. If someone put a gun to my head and made me buy a cruiser, it'd be a Rocket III for sure.

Back